cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paypal holding funds for 21 days

lonewolf6459
Enthusiast
I sold a jewlery item on here and the funds were put right into my account for me to spend. I sold another jewlery item 3 days later and they told me they can hold my money for up to 21 days. What if I was bidding on another item and needed the money to pay for it. If the buyer decides he does not like the item, he gets the money back. I liked the old days on ebay. I have a feedback of 43 with 100 percent positive. I usually only sell on here when money is tight. I am looking for another place to sell. Any suggestions out there?????
Message 1 of 160
latest reply
159 REPLIES 159

Hi LoneWolf and welcome to the Part Timers Forum.

PayPal has had the "Hold-em" policy for awhile now. Your money is released after the buyer posts a Positive FeedBack or 21 days elapse from date of payment. Please don't harass the buyer to leave FeedBack as he may post a Negative in frustration to your emails.

" If the buyer decides he does not like the item, he gets the money back." That is correct, that is why his money is held.

It would be against eBay Policy to post names or links of their competition, sorry. Google or Bing are great for resrach for online auction sites.
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 2 of 160
latest reply

Welcome LoneWolf... Ain't evilBay fun?

They started that policy last year sometime.
If you have feedback below 100 and no DSR rating,
they will make you wait until you receive positive feedback from the buyer or 21 days.
Whichever comes first.

Yeah... That is so the buyer can get their money back if they don't like the item.

OH... even if you tried to use PayPal to print your shipping labels, they won't let you access that money.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy: 1996 Adamas 1881 ;  photo d3c27a4e-2de6-48e4-8a38-73242748826d_zpsbb3k8gvk.jpg
Message 3 of 160
latest reply

lonewolf6459
Enthusiast
But I got my money right away from the first auction. Ebay used to be fun.Not anymore. I have very good standings and still they treat you like this. No complaints. Why should I have to wait till the buyer makes up his mind if he wants the item or not? If the byer is not sure of the item, I think he should buy from his hometown then.
Message 4 of 160
latest reply

mismadison
Enthusiast
But I got my money right away from the first auction. Ebay used to be fun.Not anymore. I have very good standings and still they treat you like this. No complaints. Why should I have to wait till the buyer makes up his mind if he wants the item or not? If the byer is not sure of the item, I think he should buy from his hometown then.

It's just the new and improved eBay. I'm sure it's a hassle but there was just so must fraud by Sellers going on, Paypal had to change the Rules.

Now the scam Buyers are enjoying Fraud Heaven.

Universal Law: The pendulum swings in opposite directions until it finds balance... but that'll probably never happen here on eBay!;-)
Message 5 of 160
latest reply

Ebay is so different from when i used to be here. So let me get this straight. A buyer can buy something marked no returns, decide 20 days later they can't afford or don't want it and get their money back if payed for thru paypal?

What if something happens to the item in those 20 days? Dispute time or is the buyer in the right no matter what?
Message 6 of 160
latest reply

hatter-2
Enthusiast
Ebay is so different from when i used to be here. So let me get this straight. A buyer can buy something marked no returns, decide 20 days later they can't afford or don't want it and get their money back if payed for thru paypal?

What if something happens to the item in those 20 days? Dispute time or is the buyer in the right no matter what?

You're right except for one thing...the buyer has 45 days. Ebay/PayPal policies trump your 'No Returns'. If the buyer files a SNAD claim (Significantly Not As Described) and says the item is damaged, or even damages it themselves, they win so long as they return it.

I personally think the incidence of scam claims is exaggerated. We hear about them here, but never hear of all the good transactions. Kinda like the 'Man Bites Dog' news story. My guess it's no more than a B&M store, and probably less.
Photobucket
Message 7 of 160
latest reply

mismadison
Enthusiast
Ebay is so different from when i used to be here. So let me get this straight. A buyer can buy something marked no returns, decide 20 days later they can't afford or don't want it and get their money back if paid for thru paypal?

Yep, what Hatter already said.

Buyers can easily become Internet Shoplifters... and I think the % of Scam Buyer purchases (partial refunds, false INR claims, the scam-of-the-month or what will they think of next?) is entirely underrated.

What we read about here on the Message Boards is just the TIP of the eBay iceberg.
Message 8 of 160
latest reply

mismadison
Enthusiast
Sorry for grandstanding... but to make my point ...

I've been scammed by 2 Buyers to the tune of nearly $100 since the Rule change in 2008... Months before I ever posted on any of the Forum Boards.

Initially, I never even brought it up.... and I'm not exactly the Wallflower-type.B-)
Message 9 of 160
latest reply

Only 2 , baja ?
For a C note ?
With your 100% pos feedback , approaching a red star , and having been on eBlech for so long , that's not even worth mentioning.

I had one seller rip me for $650 , and he had the nerve to say that I was trying to cheat him !!

It's just the cost of doing business online !
There are scammers everywhere, in any type of business.
I had a guy steal a native carving from my B&M gallery once , while a lighting salesman was shining a 150 watt bulb in my eyes . I could have sworn they were working together but couldn't prove anything. I gave that salesman the boot anyway's.

But of course you and hatter are both right.
The eBay scammers are a small part of the total sales volume going on here , but since eBay has made it so much easier for the creeps to get away with being naughty , more of them do , and more of us talk about it.

Nuff said !

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 10 of 160
latest reply

I had that same problem, I had to pay the shipping for the item. The money that was sent to me was frozen, so I had to find some money to get the items sent. And I still had to wait 21 days, even when the item was recieved.
Message 11 of 160
latest reply

Knock on wood, I have never had a SNAD case and only had to refund money once for a buyer when the post office lost their package and DC did not show delivered.

I also offer a 7 day refund policy to my buyers. I have been very very lucky to have very very good buyers. A few non payers, but I can live with that.

I know a 21 day hold is frustrating, however after a few transactions paypal won't hold your funds anymore. Just gotta get through this tough period.

Good Luck!
Message 12 of 160
latest reply

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 13 of 160
latest reply

I disagree with this "holding funds for 21 days" policy. How much
money is Ebay making by holding millions of transaction dollars ??

So all the good Ebay sellers have to wait for there money because of a few bad apples ?

They could hold all the transactions they want to bring up their bank balance

Sorry but I will not be subject to this holding.... I think they are leaving a door open to a class action law suite for holding funds and not paying the customers interest for the funds they are holding
Message 14 of 160
latest reply

lionpuppy3
Enthusiast
I just recently experienced this myself. I received an email from Paypal describing the "hold" policy, I responded and received a return email stating the hold would be lifted due to my rating. Charging for a fee through a different account (not ebay) I received an email again stating I would be subject to this hold. I started following the chain through paypal where I was told this was an "ebay" thing, which couldn't be the case since it was not an ebay item. Tracking finally led me to an ebay CS agent that said Paypal and ebay are the same company so we both follow the same customer service protection programs. They proceded to advise me to check the forums where I would find Sellers are completely in FAVOR of this new policy since it protects them. Which has led me to post in a forum for the first time. I don't see where anyone is in favor of this. Am I looking in the wrong place???
Message 15 of 160
latest reply