cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PayPal vs Bank Account

Am I not the only one not completely thrilled that we have to use our bank accounts instead of PayPal when we sell something?
One of the things I have always loved about PayPal is that it has always been made for getting paid online. Bank accounts are not.
I get an email from PayPal every time I sell something. I don't think I am going to get that from my bank. When I have someone buy multiple different items, I always combine the shipping which means that I need to issue a partial refund on shipping to buyers for combined shipping. It's super easy to do with PayPal, they're built for stuff like that. I have no idea how this is going to go using a bank account. 
Oh well, since we don't have a choice, I did go open a new separate checking account with my credit union yesterday. I'm still going to hold off a while on updating my payment info.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

PayPal vs Bank Account

well you change or don't sell.

Don't wait to long: it interferes with funds getting to you bank if it is not all done by the switch.

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

PayPal vs Bank Account

Same problem. I see no way to do a partial refund. No love for this tech giant that squeezes pennies out of us and leaves us with unsolvable problems like this. They abuse their monopoly.

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

PayPal vs Bank Account

Hi Don-

If that is their attitude, giving users unsolvable problems while also giving us the finger, it is an abusive one.

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

PayPal vs Bank Account

Let's face it monopolies are only made to benefit the makers. It takes longer for us, the sellers, to get paid and gives them more time to earn interest on "our money". Can you imagine the amount of money they are making at our expense? I have been selling on eBay since its inception when we actually used our actual email addresses as handles. Over the last decade and really before that they have made more ridiculous changes that have cost the sellers time, money, and sanity. I was a Power Seller for years, with perfect feedback but don't know if I am going down this road with them. 

A smile is the most important thing you put on in the morning. They are free & can change someone's day.
Message 5 of 27
latest reply

PayPal vs Bank Account

I am unhappy that EBay holds our funds from sales. With PayPal. it was immediately in the account. I had an $800 sale last week wednesday and they still won't put the money in my account. They are basically holding all our money for 3-5 days. I'm thinking of shutting down my store.

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

PayPal vs Bank Account

Agreed. I'm disgusted with EBay.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

PayPal vs Bank Account

I agree completely. With PayPal, my funds were there as soon as the buyer made the payment. I made an $800 sale a week ago and they still haven't put it in my account. I'm disgusted! 

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

PayPal vs Bank Account

I'm not crazy about it either, although so far I haven't had any issues, the payout rate is about the same as it is with the other site I sell on, which is not etsy but is owned by etsy.  I have gotten payouts within 2-3 days after the sale as long as I ship the same day, which I do 99% of the time. 

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

PayPal vs Bank Account

They are still taking the shipping payment out of paypal too.  So does this mean I will have to transfer money from my checking to paypal to cover the shipping costs??

this is a terrible move, but like etsy, they are taking their money out of the sale.

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

PayPal vs Bank Account

I wont make the transition.  They just lost a 20 year seller with this **bleep** bank Account option.  Talked to several folks who all hate it and say it is a rip off and confusing as hell !!!!!!!!!!!!!  Good riddance ebay!

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

PayPal vs Bank Account

Why not give us sellers to choice to either use PayPal or switch to the bank? I personally do not want to share my bank info, which is also my IRA and other accounts with eBay. I don't trust them. So, I guess I will have to stop selling. And buying as well. 

LBrandon
Message 12 of 27
latest reply

PayPal vs Bank Account

"I personally do not want to share my bank info, which is also my IRA and other accounts "

Call your bank and see if you can open a separate bank account for eBay. I am assuming that many folks will be doing that now.

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

PayPal vs Bank Account

So far, I've made $-10.06 from eBay's "mismanaged payment system".

A buyer purchased an item. After six calendar days the payment never materialized in my bank account.  So, as a courtesy, last night (with no payment) I refunded the buyer and sent the item anyway. Interestingly, the buyer threatened to open a claim anyway. 

It turns out that when you add your bank account eBay blocks payouts to the bank for an indefinite amount of time while they "review it" (in my case it was six calendar days), but they do not tell users this (I am not speaking of fine print in legal jargon no normal person reads or understands). Had I known this, I would waited for that to elapse before selling anything.   Only 1 representative out of about 30 I spoke to in the last week knew about this block.

However, they can deduct fees from your bank account instantaneously and without allowing you to pay those fees through a credit card or PayPal. So, eBay took the money for the refund out of my bank account in one day, but took six calendar days to send a fraction of the payment for the same item to the same account. 

Their employees do not understand how this managed payment system works either. Even the more intelligent representatives are confidently getting basic facts about this new system completely wrong.  For example, one US employee thought I needed two accounts in the payments section.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

PayPal vs Bank Account

@lagarto_electronico wrote:

So far, I've made $-10.06 from eBay's "mismanaged payment system"..

I call it "Mangled Payments"

Message 15 of 27
latest reply