cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ok, need some quick advice, have a potential buyer but am somewhat spooked....

OK, so I have a vintage trombone mouthpiece up right now.  I get a message from a possible buyer, wanting to know if it is small, euro, or large shank size, and if the cup depth is shallow or deep.  I'm not a trombone player, so I can't really answer those questions easily... but I got a weird feeling by how the guy asked the questions.... He only has 10 feedback, so I go look at his feedback record.  All positive as a buyer, but his feedback left for others?  Well, he's only left six feedbacks for others, but 1/3 of them are negative or neutral... my gut feeling by the way the guy asked the questions was that he seemed like someone who would scam or complain that something wasn't as described... would you sell to the guy or just block him so he couldn't bid on your item?  I realize that's kind of playing the jerk card, but, my gut feeling about this guy makes me really, really nervous.  What would you all do?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Go with your gut.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Go with your gut.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@loveyourimagination49 wrote:
Go with your gut.

Done.  Blocked.  With the type of questions they were asking and the fact that 2 of the 6 total feedback they have left for others were not good (1 negative, 1 neutral), not worth the risk to my feedback for a sale that I would make less than $40.00 on....

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Hi ya, gpg...sorry that this guy found you!  Love is right, you should usually go with your gut feeling, but I would also do a little more detective work.  I had a similar situation recently ~ potential buyer asked a question, so of course I checked her feedback left and found several negs, however when I checked the sellers that she/he had left the negs for, they looked as if they were all deserved...seller cancelling the sale for out of stock, which is usually a euphemism for "I didn't get as much money as I wanted when the auction ended" and will earn the seller a big ol' fat defect of the deadly kind! 

@theguitarpartsguy  Don't stay away so long...we miss you!

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@hidy-hoo wrote:

Hi ya, gpg...sorry that this guy found you!  Love is right, you should usually go with your gut feeling, but I would also do a little more detective work.  I had a similar situation recently ~ potential buyer asked a question, so of course I checked her feedback left and found several negs, however when I checked the sellers that she/he had left the negs for, they looked as if they were all deserved...seller cancelling the sale for out of stock, which is usually a euphemism for "I didn't get as much money as I wanted when the auction ended" and will earn the seller a big ol' fat defect of the deadly kind! 

@theguitarpartsguy  Don't stay away so long...we miss you!

Hey Hidy!  Haven't been away intentionally, it has just been really busy at work... the store I work at was nominated by the International Music Products Association as a top 100 dealer worldwide, and we are also up for best store design award, again worldwide.  Awards ceremony is at the NAMM show this Friday night... it's a pretty cool honor, whether we win or not.   We stay after it pretty hard and try to keep the shop very modern-looking.  

With regard to this potential buyer, he just had complaints about both items he left bad feedback for.  I could tell by the nature of his questions and how he asked them that he wasn't someone I really wanted to deal with.  NOT worth my rep on eBay for a $40 sale to a guy who has left one third of his feedback in a manner that was VERY detrimental to his sellers.  I'll just stay far away from that...LOL. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Gpg.
So it is this Friday! I knew it was coming up soon, but didn't remember the date I hope you guys win! Just being in the top is great!
❤️

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@theguitarpartsguy  Did you have a good time and did you win?

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 7 of 7
latest reply