cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OT - How Did You Come Up With Your ID Name?

I am getting ready to change my user ID - much more work than I had anticipated - but it got me thinking about all of the great ID's I have seen on the boards and also the ID's that I didn't have a clue as to how they came up with it or what it meant.  Please share! 

I rescued my dog and he rescued me!!
Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Bronx is one of my dogs = bronx-dog...

but I get allot of folks who think I'm from

New York, as a result of that name choice.

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Well there you go!  I never thought about a dogs name - but somehow I just don't feel like being called "Max":-p

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

This one was an accident...it was gonna be mintrob_mint :^O

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

This ID comes from the name of 1 of my all-time favorite kids show characters.

My selling IDs are simply named the same as the business, for branding purposes.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

When I first started posting in 2009, my ID was "hatter-2" to differentiate it from my selling ID.  The avatar was the Hatter's top hat from Alice in Wonderland.  When I came back to posting again, I was going to use "hatter-2-redux", but when I found the picture of Scrooge McDuck with the top hat, it became "hatter-2-reducks".

Like billy_biggle_fan, my selling ID is the same as my business name, also for branding purposes.  It's consistent across the various venues I've sold on, my business email addy, how I'm registered with the state and county, etc.  For kicks and giggles, I've been toying with the idea of selling baseball caps with my store name...it's in a very distictive font.  If it takes off, maybe coffee mugs?  T-shirts?  Maybe even a sports stadium named after it.  :^O  :^O  :^O

The entrepreneur always searches for change, responds to it, and exploits it as an opportunity.

--Peter Drucker
Message 6 of 24
latest reply

I was a Honda Auto Technician for 23 years. Funny thing is I remember i first tried hondadoc but it was taken.:_|

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 7 of 24
latest reply

Bronx is one of my dogs = bronx-dog...

but I get allot of folks who think I'm from

New York, as a result of that name choice.

I assumed you were 😄

In my case, its the name of our LLC, and a derivation of a previous business name we had - we love the mountains and it just resonated with us . . .

"Don't close your eyes! They can still hit you with your eyes closed!" - my son's Karate Sensei 😄
Message 8 of 24
latest reply

My posting ID is just jibberish with no meaning.  My selling ID contains the name of the town I live in with the words "trading Co" after it.

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Out of curiousity - I can see the advantage of selling ids vs posting ids and seem to be using them - but they seem like a pain . . . are they really that important?

"Don't close your eyes! They can still hit you with your eyes closed!" - my son's Karate Sensei 😄
Message 10 of 24
latest reply

My posting ID is just jibberish with no meaning.  My selling ID contains the name of the town I live in with the words "trading Co" after it.

Your ID was one of the ID's I was thinking about when I said I had no clue what some of them meant:-D.  Soooo glad that you cleared that up for me - now if I could just figure out how to pronounce it!! 

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

Out of curiousity - I can see the advantage of selling ids vs posting ids and seem to be using them - but they seem like a pain . . . are they really that important?

If you buy inventory on eBay to re-sell, you really don't want your buyer to know what you are doing - so 2 ID's works well for that.  I use 2 browsers - this one for my posting and buying ID, and the other for selling - just have to remember which browser you are on so you don't blow your cover;-).

Also, if you post something that another eBayer finds offensive or disagrees with (for what ever reason - right or wrong) using your selling ID - you take a chance that you will get a "I'm gonna show you" buyer out to harm your feedback.  Doesn't happen often, but it has been done.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

Great points, guess it's time to spin up a new User ID 😄

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

My original ID was Keithb4536 it was my husbands for buying, but I  took it over ;-). I was thinking one day about what I wanted to change it to (Keithb is pretty bland) and it popped into my head "OnceOwnedTwiceLoved" as I sell gently worn clothing, shoes & accessories - items that were once owned and now will be loved a second time. 

Scissors cuts paper, paper covers rock, rock crushes lizard, lizard poisons Spock, Spock smashes scissors, scissors decapitates lizard, lizard eats paper, paper disproves Spock, Spock vaporizes rock, and as it always has, rock crushes scissors.
Message 14 of 24
latest reply

Well...I was working at 7-11 one night and decided to use my downtime (okay, it wasn't really downtime, I was supposed to be doing something) to develop a new name. When I started this account, I sold kids books, so my name was pdxkidsbooks (pdx = Portland, OR for those that don't know).

However, since I was moving back to selling clothing (specifically jeans and pants) I came up with Jeanetix, but I found that both the eBay and domain names were already taken. 

Then I was watching TV and the commercial for Portlandia came on and I thought PANTLANDIA! I sell pants and am in Portland! So I checked and both the domain name and eBay name were available.

I also thought of a slogan "It doesn't cost a fortune to get into our pants..." which is on my website but not in any eBay listings 🙂

So, there ya go 🙂

Message 15 of 24
latest reply