cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did Ebay try to charge any unjustified fees to any seller ?

More than once ebay tried to charge me unjustified fees. I called ebay and they credited the fees. It happened when I tried to bulk edit listings. It also happened when I changed the format from BIN to auction. 

I suspect this is intentionally embedded in their software to maximize revenues.

If any of you had the same issue before, please contact me. There is a legal issue here. Ebay has millions of sellers, and this can go unnoticed to many. That adds-up to millions of $ collected by deception from sellers. Needless to say, the unfair and illegal practice. There is compensation and punitive damages. Such practices are not new to ebay, before, they were chill-bidding to increase prices, and got sued for $millions.

Please join me, and we'll do something about it. You will not be charged any monetary sums for joining. 

Please doccument and date any such incident and take screen shots. Contact me about it in my ebay email. I can't use my email here. In a couple of days, I'll also post on Youtube and other social platforms. Thanks, David

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

What were the fee's for?

Have a great day
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@silkroads wrote:

More than once ebay tried to charge me unjustified fees. I called ebay and they credited the fees. It happened when I tried to bulk edit listings. It also happened when I changed the format from BIN to auction

@silkroads,

You can't change the format of a listing from BIN to auction or vice versa. It has never been possible.

The only way to do that is to end the BIN listing early, and relist it in the auction format. When you do that, it will use one of your free-insertion-fee listings, or charge the insertion fee if you don't have any free ones left. You will also be charged again for any listing upgrades that you use on the new auction listing.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:

@silkroads wrote:

More than once ebay tried to charge me unjustified fees. I called ebay and they credited the fees. It happened when I tried to bulk edit listings. It also happened when I changed the format from BIN to auction

@silkroads,

You can't change the format of a listing from BIN to auction or vice versa. It has never been possible.

The only way to do that is to end the BIN listing early, and relist it in the auction format. When you do that, it will use one of your free-insertion-fee listings, or charge the insertion fee if you don't have any free ones left. You will also be charged again for any listing upgrades that you use on the new auction listing.

I've never done it so I'm not sure whether a listing is ended and relisted, but there is an "edit" option to change FP listings to auction: 

Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 12.05.59 PM.png

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@albertabrightalberta,

It's possible that eBay has changed things up again, I don't know. It never used to be possible to change the format of an active listing.

That used to be labelled "Send to auction" and when used, it would end the current BIN/fixed price listing, and create a new listing in auction format. I haven't heard that this has been changed. I have seen others say that doing this "Change to auction" may result in fees being charged, which would suggest that it is creating a new listing. Maybe someone will be able to check it out and see what happens currently.

If it is creating a new listing, but that isn't clear or obvious, then that would explain why people complain that they are charged fees just for editing or revising a listing. When they didn't realize they were actually creating a new listing.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

They charged my and few of my friends account with incertion fees on items which still are active.  Two people got refunds after multiple attempts to contact ebay.  One got partial refund and still fighting.  I am still waiting and will be contacting ebay tomorrow.  And you are absolutely right.  Ebay just robbed sellers and got richer on millions and millions of dollars on our expense.  And charging fees on taxes I believe is also illegal.  We definitely need class action suit 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

"And charging fees on taxes I believe is also illegal.  We definitely need class action suit" It not illegal. But hey, guess the alternative would be for you to collect and distribute the sales tax to all the required collecting authorities instead of eBay doing it for you. 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@iia_49 wrote:

And charging fees on taxes I believe is also illegal.  

Tell that to all those credit card payment processors who also base their fees on a percentage of the entire transaction value, which would include taxes, delivery fees, and tips.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Since this thread has just been bumped, I took a closer look at what happens with "Change to auction"

The wording on the revision help page does say (although it could be more obvious), that doing this creates a [new] auction listing. This will use up a free-insertion-fee listing (if available) or the seller will be charged an insertion fee. The old fixed-price listing will either be ended (if there was only one item available) or the quantity will be reduced by the one item that was sent to the new auction listing.

This is one of the situations where "revising" a listing could result in an insertion fee being charged. That is because this is not just "revising" the existing listing, even though it is on this help page. eBay should have made it clear when they "updated" this help page, that doing this will create a new auction listing for which an insertion fee may be charged.

If a listing is revised to add a listing upgrade, then the upgrade fee will be charged when it is added; that's the other case where a fee may be charged. eBay does say "There’s no fee to revise a listing unless you add a special feature." (emphasis added).

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/revising-listing?id=4356

lacemaker3_0-1712408042157.png

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I, too, have been charged for fees that I didn’t want. Years ago, I was charged on around 10 listings where I had mistakenly put on bold or highlighted listing titles.  completely my fault, but I didn’t intend for that to happen. I called eBay, or maybe wrote to them, and they credited me for the fees. That doesn’t mean that the fees weren’t justified, but I was credited anyway. eBay crediting fees does not point to a massive conspiracy to get a few dollars from every seller without their knowledge.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply