cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants to cancel after order already shipped.

As the title says the item shipped out this afternoon and I received notice after the mail had left.

The buyer sent it as a request to change, but in the commentary says he wants to cancel.

What should I do?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Oh...

I do offer full refund return shipping paid.

But it's neither a SNAD nor an INR and I'm not taking the buyer's word that he'll ship it back after.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Message the buyer and told them that you've already shipped the item. If they want to cancel it, they will need to return back the item and pay for the shipping back to you.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Dear Buyer, Your purchase has already been shipped.  Should your decision to cancel remain after receiving the package, please return it and I will refund the purchase price plus shipping.  

topsite - If you really want to pay the return shipping cost, you can email a prepaid label to them.

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

i tell them it's already shipped and then they say ok.

don't offer free return in the listing.they will call you on it even when they made the mistake.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

The return shipping paid is part of my return policy, I know some sellers will disagree with me but it is simply how I do things.

Dear Buyer, Your purchase has already been shipped.  Should your decision to cancel remain after receiving the package, please return it and I will refund the purchase price plus shipping.  

topsite - If you really want to pay the return shipping cost, you can email a prepaid label to them.

Thanks, that's what I'm going to do.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Oh but wait!!!

That leaves the Feedback and DSR's open!!

No, no, no.

Either one or the other but I am not playing this cancel game where I stick my neck out and cancel the order then hope and PRAY they don't neg me later.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

There's more problems.

How in the world do I email them a return label?

What if they don't use that?

What if they use UPS overnight?

At a cost of $200?

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

topsite - Make sure that you keep all of the eBay messages between you and the buyer.

You can choose to print a PDF label and email it to the buyer.  Tell them in you message that you will refund return shipping up to a certain amount.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

They may not have a working printer to use the PDF. There are lots of people who have OCs but no printer. Ask them first before you buy a PDF label.

But anyway, go ahead and pay return shipping if that's your policy, but get the item back before you refund them.

Then ask to cancel the transaction with them so you can get your final value fees back.

My advice is to not even mention feedback to them yet. There is no way you can do anything at this point that will block them leaving you feedback, so quit worrying about it. Treat them courteously and when they're refunded, that it is the only time I would bring up feedback.

Also I'm curious why they want to cancel and you think they will automatically leave bad feedback?

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

I'm wondering if you can tell them to refuse the package when it arrives ... to not open it and refuse it / return to sender ...?

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Well, I went ahead and called Ebay and they said to tell the buyer the item had been shipped, and to ask why they wanted to cancel, so that is what I went ahead and did.

Will keep you guys updated.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

kansas - Good point!  Definitely best to ask about the printer before sending.

Birdcharm - That is an option, but I think I read somewhere that if the buyer refuses the package, they lose buyer protection.   Don't quote me on that - I will look it up tomorrow.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

The buyer did write back stating that he thought the item would fit his vehicle and too late realized that it would not, being that I know my items and the vehicle in question I accept this answer as satisfactory and called Ebay again and they informed me to message the buyer and tell him to return the package First Class with D/C and that once I receive and inspect the contents I will issue the refund plus postage, thus all is well.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

porter_pony_4sale
Enthusiast

Let them know to refuse the item and it will be shipped back to you.  If it is Priority or first class the return shipping is free.  It is up to you if you want to return the shipping.  As long as they refuse it it will come right back to you.  You will be able to see by the delivery confirmation number when it has been refused.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply