cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 Spring Seller Update Reminder

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hello,

Please use this thread if you have any questions or wish to discuss today's announcement

Thank you. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 331
latest reply
330 REPLIES 330

Re: 2017 Spring Seller Update Reminder

So I read that as a top rated seller I get $30 in promoted listings each quarter. How do I go about using these and will I be charged if an item sells that is promoted?

Thanks

Jason

Message 316 of 331
latest reply

@mural_man88 wrote:

So I read that as a top rated seller I get $30 in promoted listings each quarter. How do I go about using these and will I be charged if an item sells that is promoted?

Thanks

Jason

There will be more information fortcoming from Ebay, but yes there is a fee if a promoted item sells, that is why they are giving us a $30 credit.  You aren't charged a fee when you set up your promotion, you are only charged something if the item or items sells.

http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2017spring/listings-visibility.html

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 317 of 331
latest reply

You may want to check your timezone. I had a problem with late shipment defects simply because eBay was not recognizing my time zone and I am on the east coast. So essentially people on the east coast have to be on pacific standard time which makes no sense and is unfair because sellers on the east coast have to do even more work to meet 1 day handling. If you print off your labels after midnight regardless of timzone you should be fine but not if eBay expects you to operate on pct but guess what THEY DO?
Message 318 of 331
latest reply

How on earth is cutting 10% off trs discounts helping the seller?   Not to mention fees were raised on the last update I believe.  Let's do some quick math $100 a month X 1 million trs is 100 million dollars eBay is taking in per month.  I sincerely hope you realize what an impact taking away that discount has on sellers and buyers.  I am now raising my shipping costs to offset the discount I rightfully earned.  I mean seriously you could have dropped it to 15% and I seriously hope you reconsider but I doubt it since eBay will be pulling in millions by taking away 10% of a 20% discount.  Awesome.

Message 319 of 331
latest reply

I myself have also a handful of times used videos that I uploaded to YouTube in order to show an item works... not advertisement at all and no ads were on video just like 15 to 20 second videos showing the functions, most were kids toys...
Examples:
A childs toy remote that had multiple functions I was able to turn on and off and push the different buttons and truly show the item not only worked but what each option did which in turn made it easier for buyer to see what their child would learn from the options available on remote, how clear the recordings were (could child make out letters numbers etc. clearly) and well you get the point.

another was a childs Doc McStuffins purse that did multiple things as remote did and would have been difficult and would come off sounding confusing and complicated if trying to express the specifics in words only, so a video of all that it did and the fact it was functioning in excellent condition really helps the customer in their buying decision.

one was a Christmas ornament that was an I Love Lucy Collectible little TV that sound played a clip from one of the shows, the sound kind of was like that of an older tv audio (which is hard to imagine honestly without hearing) and I didn't want people thinking the TV part would play the clip or get confused in any way about the really cool ornament.... I used a video to show it worked (as it was an older ornament too so people might be worried how well it functions) and they could clearly see how it worked.

I believe firmly that these videos and a few others I have actually taken the time to do really help the customer see the product better when the item has multiple functions like these, much better than trying to explain in words and hope they are able to imagine it correctly. So I am sad that I wont be able to really ever "SHOW" a customer how something works, and just how well it works any longer. I didn't even do it that often and it in no way was an ad just something to help buyers.

What I really wish is when eBay takes away the ability for us to give our customers a better purchasing decision experience that they would first find a way to give us an option through the eBay site to give the buyer the same experience without having to go off site.
Basically..... would be great or would have been great if eBay had considered the advantage of the video for buyers and added a function to upload a video clip right on ebay BEFORE taking away the option we had before banning the active content.

Anyhoo... just my two cents. I just go with the flow but I had to share my opinion on this after I read your comment about the Printer because you are very much right.

Kim & Family
Message 320 of 331
latest reply

Sadly it seems that Ebay doens't really think about what is best for the sellers but rather what is best for Ebay and sadly again not recognizing that what is best for the sellers, in the long run will be better for Ebay in general. 

They charge more and give less and market the changes as a positive for sellers, wich, in my opinion it rarely ever is. It is all about Ebay with the guise that it is about the sellers.

I can understand them wanting to do away with active content because in many cases it adds a large amount of storage space needed, but, I believe their main reason is the fear that the active content will take a possible buyer away from Ebay to your own website thereby selling directly to the buyer and not having to pay any Ebay etc. fees. 

Message 321 of 331
latest reply

I agree with this shipping cost issue! Im in Georgia and I have same problem. Many of the items I sell go out west, and if I could offer better shipping rates I would most likely see my sells improve by 20% or more. USPS and other shippers give China a great deal on shipping, and then they raise our rates here in America , so that we have to pay extra to cover the deals they are giving China!
Message 322 of 331
latest reply

eBay is following in the foot steps of every other business in America these days, increase fee's make us pay more so your bottom line will get bigger while you can! This is why I have been spending more of my money these past few years building my brand outside of eBay! 

Message 323 of 331
latest reply

If offering a 20% break of fee's didn't motivate sellers to improve their shipping times, then how is lowering this to 10% going to help?? Sounds like to me those of us that worked hard to meet your guidelines are now having to pay for others that didn't! This is never a good way to do business, you may last for now treating your good sellers this way, but you wont be around for the long run!
Message 324 of 331
latest reply

I believe you are mistaken on the USPS giving China a deal. The Chinese govt subsidizes the shipping so Chinese sellers can ship here for basically nothing
Message 325 of 331
latest reply

@vermonter53 wrote:
I believe you are mistaken on the USPS giving China a deal. The Chinese govt subsidizes the shipping so Chinese sellers can ship here for basically nothing

I've noticed many seller based in China are upping their shipping cost, or they offer free shipping with the prices being like those of USA sellers with free shipping.  Wonder if that new phenomenon will continue with seller based in China.

Message 326 of 331
latest reply

@vermonter53 wrote:

@vermonter53

It is a combination.  Yes the Chinese government subsidizes the shipping, but so does the USA by providing lower rates.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 327 of 331
latest reply

I highly agree. I also feel that those who end up being or becoming bigger sellers know to change with the times, roll with the punches, and ADJUST. Just deal with it. Obviously if you are losing money, then this is not the place for a given seller, but there are always going to be changes even just due to technological advances alone. I was a little upset about the drop in the TRS 20% to 10% savings, but at the end of the day, that saved me how much? Maybe far less than I would spend on a Saturday night I'll tell you that much!

It is what it is. Just breathe...
Message 328 of 331
latest reply

Ebay tries to make it look like they are doing Top rated Seller Plus a favor but in actuality, all the doing is increasing their bottom line.  They will make millions by decreasing our final fee from 20% to 10%. Greed is a horrible thing and that is what is happening to Ebay. They are the only  game in town uintil a real competitor comes to the market. Bottom line, they can do whatever they want and you can do nothing about it and they know it !!!

Message 329 of 331
latest reply

Ebay tries to make it look like they are doing Top rated Seller Plus a favor but in actuality, all the doing is increasing their bottom line.  They will make millions by decreasing our final fee from 20% to 10%. Greed is a horrible thing and that is what is happening to Ebay. They are the only  game in town uintil a real competitor comes to the market. Bottom line, they can do whatever they want and you can do nothing about it and they know it !!! 

Message 330 of 331
latest reply