eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Geico
Community Member

New Performance Standards - Suggestion

I see a few problems with the new performance standards being introducted by eBay. The main problem with it is that any "hiccup" in a transaction essentially gets blamed on the seller. When a transaction does not go smoothly, it can be a number of different causes:

A) Seller did not describe the item properly (Seller's fault)

B) Buyer did not properly read or understand the listing, was expecting something other than what they got despite the seller describing the item properly. (Buyer's Fault)

C) Both did their jobs, buyer simply does not like the item (sizing issues, buyer's remorse, etc). (No one's fault)

The problem with the new performance standards is both A and B counts against the seller, and C sometimes does. Also, in my experience when buyers return items they often exaggerate the problem. Despite eBay's efforts to assure buyers they are protected, many buyers think that they must "over complain" in order for them to return an item.

Situation B and C mostly takes place when the buyer is not very experience on eBay. Most buyers with 500+ feedback know the ropes, read the listings clearly, and know their rights on eBay. A complaint from a regular eBayer is typically a problem with the seller. A complaint from someone failry new is usually a problem with the buyer.

Here is my suggestion, weight the "defect rate" based on number of feedback the buyer has. Here is what it could look like:

A) Buyer 0-50 feedback: Defect rate is weighted 25%, a .25 of a defect would be incurred onto the seller

B) Buyer 51-100 feedback: Defect rate is weighted 50%, a .5 of a defect would be incurred onto the seller

C) 101-499 feedback: Defect rate is weighted 75%, a .75 of a defect would be incurred onto the seller

D) 500+ feedback: Defect rate is fully weighted at 100%. 1 defect would be incurred onto the seller

This would protect sellers from new buyers who simply do not know what they are doing. It would also give a bonus to buyers who buy/sell a lot, sellers would make sure they are even more accomodating to regular eBayers.

You could break down weighted numbers above slightly differently and the idea would still be the same. Regular sellers on here know the biggest problems come from buyers with very little feedback, and eBay should work to protect the sellers from them.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: New Performance Standards - Suggestion

[ Edited ]
in reply to supremeintproducts

I already have a problem I have nigh perfect transactions except the ocassional hiccup. I sold a laptop to a buyer who I know

bought another before he contacted me. Then(month past) claims it's damged and yet returns it in perfect shape except he

stepped on the adapter tip.I also asked him to send it back and I would refund so what does he do? Files a claim with ebay as

Not as described.

Now I know every now and then you get a difficult transaction. Anyway ebay in their 5% message says I am not in the 5% because

of occasions like this and I am in a bad light because of dishonest buyer? If they want to change rules how about seller

protection fromliars and theives? Big box stores protect themselves from this what about us Ebay? I have been selling on ebay

for long enough toknow of the Wild West days of truly bad sellers but that has past for the most part. What we have now is

spoiled,dishonset and downright criminal buyers who work the Ebay system so well. You know what I mean the ones who want

free product , deep discounts or even try a little fraud even. Of course the majority of ebay buyers are not like this but there are

enough of them that I fear the new system will not be good for any sellers. Just one seller's opinion.

Please use plain text.