cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxes Unbecoming of a Nation

I recently joined the effort to overturn the disastrous new Tax Law that was instigated against the Sellers of eBay.  I was surprised recently as California's two Senators Alex Padilla and Diane Feinstein suddenly sent me an Automated (of course) email regarding this new Directive from National Government.  

With Feinstein, who I didn't realize was still there, I remember Moscone if not Harvey Milk!  I attempted to reply to Diane's letter.  Yet was rebuffed as they don't accept replies to their directives and personal thoughts.  So I went to the fabled "Website" of such a Senator to comment as I'd written my thoughts upon the matter (see below).  The same with Padilla, who I didn't know was the other California Senator of my Republic State.

I was quite amazed by these missives from Senator Feinstein and Padilla, the odd verbosity of these letters are lacking in the actual tone and note of this most chilling new Tax Law.  I'm not quite sure if this matter has already been sealed and voted upon by the Senate, before the storm as it were. 

Would California have to 'get rid' of Feinstein and Padilla next Vote? 

Is that what we as a State would need to do? 

Or can the new Directive be $10,000.00 and 100 Listings as I suggested to both, thus keeping the 'Day Job' these two Senators seem to value.

Like Taxes on Gasoline, this new Tax should receive at least that much Rage if not much more!

Ebay sellers number in the Millions, after all.

Here is my responses to the two Senators.  I would urge all eBay sellers to write personal letters to their State's Senators to overturn or destroy this latest 'Money Grab' by American Government.  After all no one knows where all this 'new money' will go within the government.  Surely not back to the people.  That indeed is the way of it.

+++++++++++++++++

My Letter to Senator Diane Feinstein's Tax Law Letter

+++++++++++++++++

In regards to you missive on 5/20/58 you sent me an email regarding this:

Thank you for writing to me regarding federal tax provisions.  I appreciate hearing from you, and I welcome the opportunity to respond.

Well I replied but your system didn't want it and sent it back.  My reply matters as well, does it not Director Feinstein?  It sure never feels like it does in this unusual Nation, you and yours appear to Subscribe to.  Here it is then, what I wrote about this latest Tax Invasion and/or Money Grab over there in the Lottery Town D.C.:

From: "$20,000 and 200 Transactions.  TO:  A New Threshold of $600 and ZERO Transactions! "

That's a hefty About Face. 

Why not $10,000 and 100 Transactions?  Would not that have been a tad more intelligent?  Remember, filling Governments need to balance its very small budget is not always of importance. 

Debt isn't Politics but to most Bureaucrats in the Senate that would Assuredly be the focus. 

This Tax  creates unwanted baggage for the Consumer.  As an eBay Seller I was 'hit' more than most by this

brand new addendum to Tax Law.  Nothing is more Rubber than Tax Law, surely you know that Director Feinstein.  I urge you to reconsider your odd position upon this matter.  Millions of California eBay shoppers are against this Drop.

Sincerely,

Blacks

+++++++++++++

My Letter to Senator Padilla's Tax Law Letter

+++++++++++++

I'm assuming as did Senator Feinstein's Office, that you are responding to the $600 and No Listing Abuse on #eBay, whereby the law was $20,000.00 a year and 200 Listings for Sellers on eBay.  That was the automated joining I subscribed to when eBay decided to Overturn this disaster of a new "Tax Law" from Government.  I would urge you Mr. Padilla to 'change your tune" about this.  I wrote to Director Feinstein that the Senate should have lowered it to 10,000.00 a year and 100 Listings.  Instead of immediately Gutting the Correct Formula. 

There are many sellers upon Ebay Senator Padilla.  Many with livelihoods, that are down to the nickel monthly, you and yours could upset this 'block' which would indeed 'upset' the next Election process over there in the storied Senate of The Republic.

You can respond, Representative Padilla, as it says down there, but like Diane Feinstein's office I doubt you will.  

========

That ends my conversation upon this matter.  I thought I'd put it here just for posterity.  There are literally Trillions of errors in American Government.  Little ones and Big ones.  The 'approach' had best change and soon I'd say! 🙂

Clay Scott Brown
Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Taxes Unbecoming of a Nation

@remembermonday 

It is a good article, thank you for sharing.

We all need to keep in mind that the FORM threshold is NOT the minimum threshold for when we need to report our income on our Federal tax returns.  The two are NOT the same.  This is simply a minimum threshold on a FORM.

Very good advice in the article too.  Everyone needs to remember that the amount reported on a 1099K is your Gross Receipts [total money received].  That means it is BEFORE any refunds, fees or other costs are deducted, so you will need to ALWAYS reconcile the number to what would be your Gross Income less all your expenses to arrive at your Net Taxable income.

The concern about the influx in tax report filing on the IRS is likely not as big of an issue as the article is suggesting since the IRS has been granted a budget to hire a significant amount of new workers.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 16 of 20
latest reply

@remembermonday wrote:

Please do not pay attention to the trolls that have replied to you.  They are apparently very happy with the horrible state that our nation is in presently.   Many are very unhappy with the threshold decrease for various reasons.  Now, what was once a simple yard sale situation for many-- has become something else being placed under the government's thumb.  The casual seller on Ebay should not be faced with this type of headache.  Most casual sellers are taking a loss at some point and are not running a business. Trying to find receipts for something they purchased years ago or receipts that may not exist because they bought the item in a yard sale 30 years ago.   Just not worth it.  Too much government ruins freedom.   The government is just trying to get money from everyone they can including the little guys, even if it is pennies-- to pay for their overspending.    They are just so good with money.  Just look at what shape our country is in right now.  The policies of the current administration are an absolute nightmare.  Some of us tried to warn people what was coming, but unfortunately people make misjudgements-  and this was a doozy.  Now, we are stuck with an administration hell- bent on weakening our country.   Who knows if the damage can be reversed?   These fools have wasted so many years off and on dragging us down a path that just does not work.    Yet, truth has no meaning to them.  Even when their lies are revealed they just keep up the mantra of lies.   I try to stay positive and say- yes, we can fix this.    If so, it will take time.  The Republicans are trying to have the threshold for 1099k reversed back to $20,000 in Bill Hagerty's Snoop Act.   The Democrats are trying for $5,000.   It is absolutely too low and it is evident that at least someone in both parties agree.   Ebay is trying, but I'm not sure why their Ebay Mainstreet website is only showing the Democrats proposal of $5,000 threshold.  The Republican Senator Bill Hagerty's proposal of a reversal back to the $20,000 is where everyone was happy, so why are we having to compromise with the Democrat's $5,000?  Especially, when the Democrats created this mess to begin with.   They need to remove the a$$ hats and reverse it.  Period. 

They could make it real easy, just remove the reporting threshold and report all the income, like it's should be.

Have a great day.
Message 17 of 20
latest reply

@kensgiftshop 

"They could make it real easy, just remove the reporting threshold and report all the income, like it's should be."

You make my point.  All income is suppose to be reported to the IRS via our Federal Tax Returns.  

A threshold on ANY FORM does not change that.  The threshold on the 1099K is simply that.  The threshold for the FORM.

A 1099K does not report ALL types of income.  It is specific to marketplaces that have their own money processing programs and electronic money processors like PayPal, Stripe, etc.

That of course is NOT the only kind of income people can have.  There can be income reported on a W2 a variety of other types of 1099's, cash income, etc.  

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@kensgiftshop 

"They could make it real easy, just remove the reporting threshold and report all the income, like it's should be."

You make my point.  All income is suppose to be reported to the IRS via our Federal Tax Returns.  

A threshold on ANY FORM does not change that.  The threshold on the 1099K is simply that.  The threshold for the FORM.

A 1099K does not report ALL types of income.  It is specific to marketplaces that have their own money processing programs and electronic money processors like PayPal, Stripe, etc.

That of course is NOT the only kind of income people can have.  There can be income reported on a W2 a variety of other types of 1099's, cash income, etc.  

It's amazing how many long time sellers here or anywhere else that don't know they are supposed to be reporting their income even if they don't receive a 1099K.

They act like reporting their income is something new, which it isn't.

I'm in a few programs where I earn a few extra dollars a year, it's not much, but I still report it, along with any income from yard sales or flea markets.

Have a great day.
Message 19 of 20
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@kensgiftshop 

It's amazing how many long time sellers here or anywhere else that don't know they are supposed to be reporting their income even if they don't receive a 1099K.

They act like reporting their income is something new, which it isn't.

I'm in a few programs where I earn a few extra dollars a year, it's not much, but I still report it, along with any income from yard sales or flea markets.

Yes, I have a difficult time understanding this too.  I've actually had conversations with at least 2 different sellers that would close down their selling on Ebay when they got too close to the $20k threshold so that they would not receive a 1099K.  I was so amazed and I asked why.  Both told me so they wouldn't have to report their income to the IRS for their online sales.  

With both those sellers, when I asked them if they knew that this is a threshold on a FORM, not a threshold for income that is reportable on their Federal tax returns and that when filing their 2022 taxes, they very well may experience some significant push back from IRS.  Maybe even an audit.  I strongly suggested that they be proactive the best they could.  Maybe contact a CPA / tax accountant and see if they should file some amended tax returns on previous years or if that alone my push them into an audit.  Either way, they needed some professional advice because there is trouble down the road for them.

Surprise neither one of those sellers every came back to the threads we were on, as it wasn't on the same thread.

Message 20 of 20
latest reply