cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frugal Finds

Starting a Thread to share our Frufal Finds, deals, ask for assistance, etc.

I am in need of a generic brand detergent that works well.  Tried Target generic and it was horrible.

Any suggestions?

Tip of the day:  I quit using a stain stick or spray-n-wash and bought Zout.  Much cheaper and so much more effective.  Great for laundry and even works on cat khack on carpet!  Best price is at Wally World for $3.39/bottle.  (Red bottle)

Used it to get grease out of a shirt. 

Anyone here shop at Aldi?  If yes, what are your favs?  Do you buy their canned goods at all?

@silverstatetreasureboxes 

@mr_lincoln 

@7794heather 

@policequilts 

@wastingtime101 

@buyselljack2016 

@stephenmorgan 

@evry1nositswindy 

@ckimodog 

@nuclearomen 

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 1 of 33
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Frugal Finds

Putting Customers First:

I was putting together a train auction at a local Auction house ... there were 9 Consignors. One had several things and what looked like a junk box of HO train stuff ... when I got to that box I sorted through it and all the way on the bottom I found 9 vintage HO Slot cars - 7 Aurora AFX and 2 Marx. ... I brought them home for a really good photo shoot AND identification from my slot car guide ... years they were made, car model, color scheme, original MPN, etc. ... then I listed them on the train auction AND when I titled the Auction cover page it was Toy Trains and Slot Cars.

I am sure the Consignor was mildly surprised when they got their check ... those 9 Slot cars brought a total of $ 576.00 ... "Honest Abe" strikes again!

Mr. L

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Frugal Finds

Aldi: yes, there is one in Buena Park CA around the corner from our old house. Used to shop there all the time. We still have our son go there and buy me my Coffee that I love (Flavored Capacinos) that are 1/2 the price of anywhere else. Just got a 12 box shipment from him.

Other frugal finds: the BEST Toilet Paper and Paper Towels on the planet? (Charmin); well Home Depots own brand, HDX- which if not known (HD does NOT have a 'paper goods place) huge deal compared with name brand. I want to say $30 worth of TP for$18. 

Message 2 of 33
latest reply

Frugal Finds

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

Aldi: yes, there is one in Buena Park CA around the corner from our old house. Used to shop there all the time. We still have our son go there and buy me my Coffee that I love (Flavored Capacinos) that are 1/2 the price of anywhere else. Just got a 12 box shipment from him.

Other frugal finds: the BEST Toilet Paper and Paper Towels on the planet? (Charmin); well Home Depots own brand, HDX- which if not known (HD does NOT have a 'paper goods place) huge deal compared with name brand. I want to say $30 worth of TP for$18. 

So glad you posted!!!  Will check it out.

So you like Aldi?

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Message 3 of 33
latest reply

Frugal Finds

@norwegian_kt 

@inhawaii 

It only let me do 10 IDs in 1st post!

@stainlessenginecovers 

Join us on the other Homestead thread!!  Always enjoy your posts!!

Posting ID Only.......
Message 4 of 33
latest reply

Frugal Finds

Putting Customers First:

I was putting together a train auction at a local Auction house ... there were 9 Consignors. One had several things and what looked like a junk box of HO train stuff ... when I got to that box I sorted through it and all the way on the bottom I found 9 vintage HO Slot cars - 7 Aurora AFX and 2 Marx. ... I brought them home for a really good photo shoot AND identification from my slot car guide ... years they were made, car model, color scheme, original MPN, etc. ... then I listed them on the train auction AND when I titled the Auction cover page it was Toy Trains and Slot Cars.

I am sure the Consignor was mildly surprised when they got their check ... those 9 Slot cars brought a total of $ 576.00 ... "Honest Abe" strikes again!

Mr. L

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 5 of 33
latest reply

Frugal Finds

@mr_lincoln 

This is SO kewl!!  Brava!!

I have a bunch of train magazines I shouls ship you - there are 30+ and in great shape.  

Posting ID Only.......
Message 6 of 33
latest reply

Frugal Finds

@katzrul15 

I shop at Aldi...it's still got some very reasonable prices.  I like their different breads and cheeses.  Not sure of the name brands they offer.  Vegetables I avoid.  They don't rotate them or run them enough, at least where I live. Rather limited too.  It's definitely a price saver and their stores are immaculately clean. 

Message 7 of 33
latest reply

Frugal Finds

Every time i'm in Walgreens I see bottles of laundry detergent for $1.

I forget the brand and size but they are kind of big bottles.

Can't go wrong for a buck.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 8 of 33
latest reply

Frugal Finds

What do like best about them?  Do you buy their canned goods at all?  Hate to hear about veggies....usually something (fresh) we buy a lot of.

Have never been to one - see them advertised a lot.

We buy albacore for the puddahs.  It is advertised cheaper there than WW. 

Do they have cleaning supplies, detergents, etc?

Posting ID Only.......
Message 9 of 33
latest reply

Frugal Finds

Got a link to that 'Homestead Thread'? 

Aldi's again- yes, plenty of 'good finds' there.  

Name brand cereal, cookies, pop tarts etc. they started getting in before we moved in 2020 at very good prices compared to Stater Bros, Albertsons, Vons grocery stores that are available in SoCal. 

Vegies in our Aldi's were good, but because we were in a higher populated area, the 'turn' kept things fresh. Milk, Eggs and Ice Cream were also a great deal. Meats? not so much variety or deals. 

Oh, Pizzas- great deal there too. 'Mexican Pizza' was the bomb and they could not keep them in stock. 

Also Chips and lots of Trail Mixes at great prices.

Message 10 of 33
latest reply

Frugal Finds

@stainlessenginecovers 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/The-Homestead/Need-a-Place-to-Post-Laugh-Vent-Unwind-Share-Chocolate/m...

I had tagged you there also.

ooooooh, pizza.  That sounds great!  Milk and eggs would be great also - we shop at the same places out of habit.  I need to go this week and check out Aldi's!

Posting ID Only.......
Message 11 of 33
latest reply

Frugal Finds

@inhawaii 

😃 😀 😄 😁 🤣 OK James, laundry detergent for a buck?? In Hawaii???  Hun, you were walking in the toy dept. Those were for barbies!

Message 12 of 33
latest reply

Frugal Finds

@silverstatetreasureboxes wrote:

@inhawaii 

😃😀😄😁🤣 OK James, laundry detergent for a buck?? In Hawaii???  Hun, you were walking in the toy dept. Those were for barbies!

I wondered too.  What great drugs they must be giving him!

Posting ID Only.......
Message 13 of 33
latest reply

Frugal Finds

@ckimodog 

I don't have one of those, I have Smiths and they are outrageous. 

I do reuse my zip lock bags, I clean them and lay them out to dry. I only run my dishwasher every 3 days and hand wash my dishes.

We buy all the tissue and tpaper, paper towel at dollar general and store it out in the garage in an antique cabinet.

I do use that laundry sprinkle stuff ( can't remember name) and I no longer use Tide, I buy Era and I cut my dryer sheets in half.

Coffee brands is what ever is on sale, I use a percolator and make it strong. I only drink water so when my water bottle is empty, I fill it from the osmosis tap.

When I use my printer, I cut up scraps of the unused portion and I use for notes.

I do not skimp on nail polish ever, I buy OPI. But lucky me it comes into thrift shop frequently and I get free!

That's just some of my thrifty ideas, now when it comes to gold and silver it's gotta be real.

Message 14 of 33
latest reply

Frugal Finds

Shop at Aldi sometimes but their produce doesn't last long. 

Zout is great.  

Target has a great nail polish and it is only $1.99.  It is on the bottom shelf near POP and it is called Sinful Colors.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 15 of 33
latest reply