cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The saddest thing I've ever seen in a thrift shop

Went thrifting today with a friend.

My friend was thrilled to find two beautiful handmade quilts, each bearing a sewn-in fabric tag stating in detail that it was made by Grandma for her grandchildren and for what occasion.  

The tags stated their names and the dates of the boy's birthday a few years ago and the girl's graduation in June 2023 -- not even a full year ago. 

They were both colorful and very detailed. Imagine the time and love put into each of these! 

The lady who worked there said the quilts had been dropped off earlier that day by a mother and the two grandchildren in question. When she saw what they were dropping off, she was shocked and questioned them about why they would discard such precious items handmade by their Grandma. They just shrugged. She told us she felt the children were being raised to have no soul.

I hope Grandma never visits and sees that the quilts are missing. Something tells me she probably isn't ever invited.

Message 1 of 99
latest reply
98 REPLIES 98

Re: The saddest thing I've ever seen in a thrift shop

@powell-memorabilia wrote:

Those of us with wonderful families often can’t comprehend that mothers, fathers, grandmothers, etc. can be terribly toxic. 

And also, how people act in front of others often isn't what they're like behind closed doors. My friend's father is like that... he's perfectly nice around other people, but when there's no one else around to witness his behavior, he's a textbook toxic narcissist to his family.

Message 91 of 99
latest reply

@rockystradingpost wrote:

I guess I come from a culture where we're very connected with family and ancestors, so it's hard for me to relate. But I get that some people just want to be rid of "stuff."

I'm with you.  My daughter feels the same way.  She loves tradition and making sure we keep important things to tell us about our history and life's story.  I give here some items to cherish from what I've collected from the family every so often.  I know she takes good care of it. 

I have this one black and white pic of my mom with some lady in the bus station when she was in her late teens or early 20's.  This is a favorite of both my daughter and me.  I framed it, it is just beautiful of both of them.  Sadly my mom could not remember who the woman was, just someone at the bus depot at the time was her guess.  But it is an awesome picture.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 92 of 99
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

@powell-memorabilia wrote:

Those of us with wonderful families often can’t comprehend that mothers, fathers, grandmothers, etc. can be terribly toxic. 

And also, how people act in front of others often isn't what they're like behind closed doors. My friend's father is like that... he's perfectly nice around other people, but when there's no one else around to witness his behavior, he's a textbook toxic narcissist to his family.

Yes - a lot happens behind closed doors. Also the decisions some make in light of rough upbringings will be difficult to understand by someone who has had a reasonably happy childhood. It's hard for some of us to even understand "normal" - we did not see it enough.  Prying into people's private lives is actually patronizing and even rather arrogant, particularly in a public setting.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 93 of 99
latest reply

In fact a thrift shop mostly is sad.

So many beautifull items grandpa and grandma gathered all their life, often being very proud for 'that object(s)'.

And the family simply drops it all in a thrift shop without any interest and only ignorance for the worth/quality/looks.

How it goes 🙂

Message 94 of 99
latest reply

"She told us she felt the children were being raised to have no soul."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, she had no business saying that, and she should be fired.

When we hear about Grandma's and homemade items, we think about nice old ladies, but that isn't always the case. Some Grandma's are horrible, one on my Grandma's was horrible and most of her stuff was sold or went to a charity shop when she died, no one wanted it, not even her children.

Don't feel sad about the Grandma in question, you don't know the back story.

Message 95 of 99
latest reply

That too

And you can question yourself...

@*madison wrote:

"She told us she felt the children were being raised to have no soul."

Some Grandma's are horrible,

... Who raised those soul-less children?

Message 96 of 99
latest reply

Often times when an employee doesn't do what is expected of them, the answer is NOT to fire them but to educate them.  Yes they made a mistake, but who among us hasn't.  With a little more training they will likely be a terrific employee.  We don't have to jump to taking away their ability to put food on the table.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 97 of 99
latest reply

I just always found it sad when I would buy a box of old picture frames and find someones "Army Retirement" certificate or some sort of award still framed in something.  A Red Cross nurses pin with their name engraved on back.  Named boy scout awards...  Just stuff.  Small things that were discarded by an heir but were at one time prized by the person named. 

I guess I've always thought I would hope someone would remember me after I was gone.  I know we're not the "things" we leave behind but things with our names on them are personal. 

It's good to remember, and be remembered.

Message 98 of 99
latest reply

It's just stuff.

It's disgusting to me that a thrift worker would be so judgmental.

If it was donated, put a price sticker on it and hope someone can use it.  

I would have told the thrift worker that it was none of her business.

Message 99 of 99
latest reply