cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling on ebay

I think I sell my stuff fair. But I have noticed a trend lately of people telling my stuff is in bad shape, etc.  and trying to get my items for nothing. I sell used items they are not perfect buyer should not expect items to look brand new. I have noticed they think every item should look just like the one they have.  I get so tried of people trying to low ball my items. 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Selling on ebay

All dem vids on how to get free stuff on eBay man.......

For that mater just read the community boards on eBay  and get a on how to scam sellers....

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Your items are very, very fairly priced.  Some people are just trying to get "something for nothing".   I agree with you and hate it when customers try to badger you to lower your price.

Try to look on the "bright side" and remember all the happy customers that are satisfied with your items.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@jfpendley8uqq 

"MAY HAVE SOME IMPERFECTIONS, NEEDS CLEANING. THE ITEM COULD HAVE SOME MINOR PAINT MISSING."

Any defects should be described in the description.

When you say it May Have or it Could Have, to me, it sounds like you don't know the condition of the item or don't care enough to check it.

Have a great day.
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I get really tired of it too. These Trolls spend their entire day hiding behind their computer trying to get something for nothing.  The last troll was offering me more than half the price of my item.  I wrote back and said for your generous offer, I would like to offer you gift wrapping and Fed-Ex overnight free shipping.  He wrote back that the gift wrap would not be necessary but the Fed-EX would be great.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@luxgoods wrote:

I get really tired of it too. These Trolls spend their entire day hiding behind their computer trying to get something for nothing.  The last troll was offering me more than half the price of my item.  I wrote back and said for your generous offer, I would like to offer you gift wrapping and Fed-Ex overnight free shipping.  He wrote back that the gift wrap would not be necessary but the Fed-EX would be great.

LOL

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@luxgoods wrote:

Where is the sarcastic font when you need it??

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@jfpendley8uqq  While creating your listings, select the boxes Accept offer higher that and Decline offers lower than and enter your acceptable amount for both fields. Also, post clear pics of every angle of the item. You could also add something like: Unless listed as New, items may have cosmetic flaws, please see photos. Put a line in your description urging buyers to ask for additional photos or information.

Some buyers do make really low-ball offers. Sometimes, I think the buyer figures it doesn't hurt to ask, and I'll respond to the offer. If the buyer continues to make really low counter-offers, just decline the offer. You can add those buyers to your Blocked Buyer List.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

When people ask me for a lower price I block them and temporarily raise the price of the item.  Odd thing is stuff will sell if you raise the price.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

New generation of buyers not unlike the government EVERYTHING SHOULD BE FREE!

Sad but this is how we have evolved.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@jfpendley8uqq wrote:

I sell used items they are not perfect...

I get so tried of people trying to low ball my items. 

It's simply business

Tell them condition was a factor in determining item price & desirability & that your price is firm.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Low balling is the name of the game at flea markets, yard sales etc, so you can expect buyers to have the same mentality here.

You do know you do not have to respond to offers, right?  

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

what I am saying is that there maybe some imperfections that I missed.  I inspect all of my items for chips or cracks before selling them.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Hi @jfpendley8uqq 

You might have fewer problems if you describe your items more accurately.  You are supposed to be describing  flaws in the Description ... and NOT telling buyers to look at the pictures closely because there may be paint missing.  I base this on the following from two of your listings (adding the 'Bold' myself):

>>  THIS IS A USED ITEM WAS PURCHASED AT AN ESTATE SALE. MAY HAVE SOME IMPERFECTIONS, NEEDS CLEANING. THE ITEM COULD HAVE SOME MINOR PAINT MISSING.  <<

>>  THIS IS A USED ITEM AND COULD HAVE SOME PAINT MISSING. PLEASE LOOK AT THE PICTURES  CLOSE.  <<

The buyer should not be left wondering if they'll get an item with imperfections ... especially since you have a 'no return' policy.  ONLY YOU have the item in your hand to actually SEE the imperfections.  It appears you are merely trying to 'CYA' in your Descriptions ... without actually describing your items precisely.

And the following paragraph in your listings totally violates eBay policy.  It is FALSE ... and should be removed from any listing that has it:

>>  INSURANCE IS AT THE BUYER'S OPTION. BUYER ASSUMES FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR LOSS OF OR DAMAGE TO ITEM(S) ONCE THEY ARE SHIPPED IF ITEM(S) ARE NOT INSURED.  <<

You are NOT allowed to ask buyers to purchase insurance separately ... and you are NOT allowed to tell buyers that they will have no protection if they don't buy insurance.   

Message 14 of 14
latest reply