cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a new platform... I'm tired

I started selling on eBay in 2003.  The past 17 years have been a roller coaster and the ride is about to end.  I have sold through the changes of charging FVF on shipping, removing my ability to  leave negative feedback for buyers, not being able to have a hyper link in the description, not being able to have a phone number in the description, the buyer is always correct, and being told what and how to sell on-line.  While I have worked through most of this issues the 2 most recent ones are the ones I can no longer look over. 

My first issue is I sold multiple items from my store, in this case the buyer purchased 50 of the same item.  The store item was set up with the first item costing X and each additional costing Y for the shipping.  The buyer happened to reside out of the country so this transaction was being processed through eBays global shipping.  When eBay calculated the customers USA shipping they calculated 50 times the 1 unit price and not 1 unit and 49 times the additional unit cost.  This caused the customer to occur an over payment of $145.06 in incorrect shipping charges.  I credited this amount to their account only to find out eBay did not credit me FVF for the mistake of the over payment.  I called support and they did credit me the 12.5% of the $145.06 credit however I was told that any refund given for any purpose was considered a courtesy and FVF would not be credited automatically.   Needless to say eBay is pocketing the excess sales tax collected and Final Value Fee's in these types of credits.

My second issue to happened today when eBay decided in favor of a buyer who had a parcel lost in the mail.  While I did offer to resend out another parcel the buyer escalated the case... well you all know what happens buyer wins.  So why is this a problem you ask?  Well when the case was opened eBay placed a hold of $10.49 from my account which is normal however they again kept the FVF.  When I checked the original transaction the sale was for $10.49 plus sales tax, eBay withheld the FVF of $1.45 and deposited $9.04 in my account.  When the case was award to the buyer, surprise eBay withdrew $10.49 from my account.  Wait what, they deposited $9.04 and withdrew $10.49 to pay the customer.  So effectively eBay still kept the FVF even though the transaction was not completed.  After 25 mins on the phone and 2 different customer service people they refunded me the $1.45.  Needless to say again eBay is pocketing the FVF on these buyer awarded cases.

Let's think about this... eBay is not issuing any credit of FVF when a seller issues a credit after the sale.  eBay is also not issuing any credit of FVF when a seller looses a case filed by the buyer.  I'm going to use my second example just to perform a quick estimation.  Currently there are about 7 million US sellers on eBay. In my opinion: If each seller experience 1 case a month that eBay awards in the buyers favor, in my case $1.45 ( I'm only selling a $10 item)  times 7 million uses, this equals $10,150,00.00, yes over 10 million in extra revenue then was effectively taken from sellers.  Currently eBay has around 25 million sellers around the world, I will let you calculate the worldwide FVF that is not being credited.

I cannot put any numbers to my first issue, all I can say, in my opinion that it is happening and I'm sure we as sellers again are paying a big price.

Sellers, take note: From what I learned you will not receive a FVF credit automatically on any refund you issue to your buyers.

For the buyers that happen to read this, remember these issues are also your issues.  If eBay isn't willing to correct these types of issue the sellers we be forced to look for other platforms or substantially raise prices. 

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Looking for a new platform... I'm tired

This person is spamming.....

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

eBay stole $38.32 from me over FedEx shipping.

They're now my #0.

It dings my conscience to even buy something on this site.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Stockholm Syndrome?

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

The point is IS leverages human assets; IT undermines them.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which prevails is an interesting question.

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

Thank you for your comment.

Yes, you are correct.  I don't proof as it was only my opinion.  But there is a way to test my theory... Make a purchase from a seller (one you know that sells product that will be charged sales tax) ask them to add an extra $1, pay them, then an hour later request a refund of $1.00.  If my theory holds water I will bet your refund amount would only be $1 and not the $1, plus sales tax collected.  Maybe I'm wrong and you will get back $1.0x!

Again without proof and only my opinion, I would guess eBay remits sales tax monthly.  They take all transaction totals from that taxing region and remit.  If you have ever issued a refund eBay asks what the refund is for and most of the reason would alter the total of the transaction.

Again thank you for the comment.

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

I did not test your theory, but I did do a refund this weekend.

According to the Transaction Detail, eBay says they are refunding the Tax.

Screenshot 2021-01-11 143114.png

Message 20 of 25
latest reply

Hello again.

Yes, that would be correct.  It is my understanding that when the entire transaction is refunded those fee are also refunded.  the only exception if a case is opened and eBay awards the buyer a refund you will not recover the fee's. The issue with is partial refunds, which ultimately does reduce the taxable sale amount and should result in a sales tax refund to the buyer.

Thank you for engaging in this conversation.

Message 21 of 25
latest reply

E bay is to big to fail now and as such expect exploitation. Buyers get **bleep** shipping and damaged goods but after reading your input it looks like everyone but e bay is un happy in general...

Message 22 of 25
latest reply

I'm leaving ebay too.  Ebay allows feedback extortion, ugly feedback from buyers who refuse to return item for full refund + shipping, yet demand $ in writing or they'll leave ugly feedback.  Ebay allows it, refuses feedback removal.  Scammer looking for freebies are having a blast thanks to ebay allowing it!  When buyers want to keep the item, refuse return, yet able to leave rot feedback unless getting item free, it's time to LEAVE EBAY.

Message 23 of 25
latest reply

This thread is 3 years old and the OP is still here selling.

Have a great day.
Message 24 of 25
latest reply

@einsteindesign wrote:

I'm leaving ebay too.  Ebay allows feedback extortion, ugly feedback from buyers who refuse to return item for full refund + shipping, yet demand $ in writing or they'll leave ugly feedback.  Ebay allows it, refuses feedback removal.  Scammer looking for freebies are having a blast thanks to ebay allowing it!  When buyers want to keep the item, refuse return, yet able to leave rot feedback unless getting item free, it's time to LEAVE EBAY.

I get it that you are upset.  Likely an over reaction to a problem, but I do understand.  You need to contact Ebay and make sure you draw their attention to the email or emails where they buyer said they would leave you negative FB if you didn't give them some or all the money back.

But you have to get them to look at that email.  It is a policy break, but you have to prove it to Ebay.

On each Ebay page there is a link to contact Customer Service at the top of the page and again at the bottom of the page.

I would suggest that you contact Ebay for Business on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter for the better trained CSRs.

Here are your options for contacting Ebay Customer Service. Please be aware that for social media CS, you send them a Private Message and briefly explain what your problem or issue is. Feel free to leave your Name, address, phone number and/or your email address in this message. It is private and secure and it may help to speed up the response for you.

https://twitter.com/askebay

https://www.facebook.com/eBay/

https://www.instagram.com/ebayforsellers/

Your options will be on the left. If you use the link below you can only get to the Automated Assistant or Chat box type AGENT in the box and hit enter. You will then get more options. Not all options are available 24/7. It will depend on staffing available. So sometimes you can request a call back and sometimes you can't. Sometimes you have the Chat option available and other times it won't me. If it is important to you to use one of those options, just try back later.

If you use a cell phone or other mobile device, you may need to turn off your Spam filter so that Ebay can call you.

If you are a seller outside of the US or Canada, you will need to use the Chat Option.

https://www.ebay.com/help/eua?id=5275&mkevt=1&mkpid

https://www.ebay.com/help/home

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 25 of 25
latest reply