cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on this necklace - agate/jasper/white jade?

So I got this in an online auction and am awaiting it's arrival. I can't determine via the weak photos provided what the stone is (river stone seems to be a popular buzz term with mala beads right now and they look like a match, but I'm not using that description, just...no.) 

Also, the quality seems to be very high, clean, tight silk knots between each bead and the central silver accent beads test at 99.9% Au, while the clasp/findings are .925. 

Any ideas about the possible maker, stones, strange toggle clasp, era or place of origin are very welcome.

(I'm guessing Western Europe/North America ca. 1983ish?) 

Screenshot_20240228-205816~2.png

Screenshot_20240228-213420~2.png

Screenshot_20240228-205642~3.png

Screenshot_20240228-222054~2.png

TIA and fingers crossed y'all can give me a little more to look up or include in the listing. 

Cheers! 

M

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Thoughts on this necklace - agate/jasper/white jade?

Hello. Super pretty necklace - perfect to wear in a professional office! FWIW, I think you meant that one bead is 99% Ag (not Au - which is gold). The beads look to me to be either howlite or agate.  If you can get an RI reading on one of the beads, you should be able to tell. But, rounded gems are a bleeping pain to get an RI on. Sorry that I can't help with the M-clasp or maker.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@maeday76 

Hmmmm let me tag my bead gal.....oh that's you!

Boy Mae it's really pretty. I do know that type of bent bar toggle clasp is used often if the item is of substantial weight and it is more 80s-90s like you stated. Now this era was when HSN & QVC were huge and designers were flocking to these venues so it could be one of them.

I just don't know my beads well enough but I do know a good piece when I see it and this is one!

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I agree with @frommichel .  You mean Ag not Au.  Getting an RI on an opaque bead...fuhgettaboutit.  And I'm no bead expert, but my knee jerk reaction was howlite.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thanks, y'all are right, my mistake on the Ag/Au thing. I appreciate your help everyone! @idealgems1 @silverstatetreasureboxes @frommichel 

If you think of anything else, I am all ears. 

M

Message 5 of 5
latest reply