cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identify porcelain COA “Culpta Victa”

This porcelain box contains 4 small trays, Ashrays I presume. The coat of arms has “Culpta Victa” inscribed. The hallmark on the bottom I can only make out “Made in..”

Any help appreciated!

11002290-D2CD-4066-8DF8-DAE36B7C0167.jpeg

C7C9C57D-B094-48C8-8EB2-07182478162E.jpeg

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Identify porcelain COA “Culpta Victa”

Agree on the maker stamp, yes, France.... "Made in France" the FBS 'triangle mark,' @md1919 got that part.

https://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/related/usa/newyork-08/index.php

View Best Answer in original post

Message 12 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Sorry, need to correct the inscription. It’s either Clupta or Clupia. 

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

mark of the importer ferdinand bing and co, they imported from many countries

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

@cliquotscloset wrote:

Sorry, need to correct the inscription. It’s either Clupta or Clupia. 

I'm pretty sure the first word is GLORIA.    GLORIA VICTIS would make sense (something like Glory to the Vanquished) but GLORIA VICTA escapes me.

Anyhow, this looks like fantasy heraldry, although I suppose it might be civic heraldry.

=

=

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Here's another piece of fantasy heraldry, on a similar piece, and quite similar to yours:

Anyhow, this looks like fantasy heraldry to me.  Here's more the same sort of thing;  in fact, it's quite similar to yours:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124769347261?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAAAkD1jWz21S%2B6ONOaNXChf...

Here's another:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/heraldic-armorial-box-samson-france-1784841780

In neither case, do I know if the seller's info is correct.  I'm just linking to them to show you the faux heraldry involved.

=

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Thanks all! Gloria makes much more sense.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

@cliquotscloset wrote:

Thanks all! Gloria makes much more sense.

You're welcome.  GLORIA does make sense.  VICTA does not, at least to me.  VICTIS means the defeated.   And there's victor, victores, victoris, victorum, victori, victoribus, victorum, victores, victore, victoribus...  But VICTA?  Beats me.  Perhaps as fanciful as the heraldry...?

=

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

P.S.  That declension is doubtless a mess.  As you have already guessed, I studied a tiny bit of Latin about a hundred years ago...  😄

=

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

I took four years of Latin myself but that was eons ago. I was thinking that victa was the past tense of vanquish or conquer. (Grammar never was my strong suit.🙃

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

@cliquotscloset wrote:

I took four years of Latin myself but that was eons ago. I was thinking that victa was the past tense of vanquish or conquer. (Grammar never was my strong suit.🙃

Oh, I think you're right:  Vinco, victi...  You must be right.  We need  @argon38  .

=

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

IMO and IIRC, google translate is 110% able to handle declensions in the languages it knows, including Latin. In spite of that, google translate does not recognize the words as clearly written here.

GLORIA [not so clear] VICTIS

The closest word google translate suggests is evictus: vanquished.

I also tried searching for the heraldry. As depicted, this coat of arms is:

Gules, a lion rampant between 3 roundels argent

Gules = red, roundels = circles, and argent = silver (white)

I could not find any "real" heraldry that resembled this blazoning.

@maxine*j's judgement that this is fantasy heraldry appears to be correct, and the only realistic interpretation.

The only "real" heraldry that appears to be similar to this includes several references to the "lion of bohemia" which appears to be a double-tailed lion rampant argent, crowned or, on a field of gules (red), with no secondary charges.  That doesn't match this "coat of arms" at all. 

The only interpretation that is supported by the evidence is: fantasy heraldry.

I believe that the mark says "Made in France".

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Agree on the maker stamp, yes, France.... "Made in France" the FBS 'triangle mark,' @md1919 got that part.

https://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/related/usa/newyork-08/index.php

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Very helpful! Thank you!

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

@cliquotscloset wrote:

Oh, I think you're right:  Vinco, victi...  You must be right.  We need  @argon38  .

=

Heh, sorry for missing the call-out (my laptop died ☠️). Anyway, yes: "Gloria Victa" = "Vanquished Glory." Victus/-a/-um is the perfect passive participle of vincere.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Glad you'e back! 

At least I was close in my first post with "Glory to the Vanquished."  I don't know why I even try with Latin nowadays.  I never knew more than a smidgen and that was so long ago that Latin was still a live language...  😄

=

Message 15 of 18
latest reply