cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bing & Grondahl Tommelise (Thumbelina) Pattern

I got an adorable little cup & shallow bowl with Thumbelina design. "Hans Chr. Andersen TOMMELISE" My research seems to indicate the mark is 1966-1969. They look like they could be meant as a baby set? Cup is tiny and bowl is small. I've only found a few B&G more current plates with Thumbelina. I'd appreciate any info that might help. I find it curious when I can't readily find my items in my research. 20240305_002241.jpg20240305_002258.jpg

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Bing & Grondahl Tommelise (Thumbelina) Pattern

I did find another Tommelise plate being sold along with other Anderson illustrated plates with the same design style.  The seller dates these to 1950's, and that seems likely to me, but it could be later.   Given the small size they could be for a little girl's tea party.  

https://www.etsy.com/listing/708105905/bing-grondahl-hans-christian-andersen-8

Rita

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Thanks, Rita! That is the closest match - the main difference is the mark - the etsy one says "Made in..: where mine just says "DENMARK". When I look up marking history, looks like hers is more likely older. (50's) To me it is strange there are not more examples offered in images/selling sites.  Does that justify calling it RARE? Hmm.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

In my opinion, the use of the word "rare" should be much more rare than it is, for everything. 😊

Rita

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

😄  My Mom used to sell in an antique booth and I teased her because EVERYTHING was marked "Rare"!

Message 5 of 5
latest reply