cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay cancelled the sale. Do I keep my money?

eBay cancelled a sale due to issues outside my control, but after the item had shipped.  The amount of the purchase was literally only $1.00.  But as it happened I want to understand how it could impact me for a more pricey item in the future.

eBay sent me a message noting "We wanted to let you know that a bid or order for the listing below was canceled because of an issue with the buyer’s account:"   Along with the listing and a few other bullet points and suggestions eBay also wrote: "If payment was processed, a refund has not been issued yet just in case you’ve already shipped the item." (emphasis added)

This was for a Buy-It-Now purchase over a day earlier.  The item was paid for immediately and I shipped it the same day - before I received the message.

The amount was literally only $1.00 USD, but I'm wondering about the words "a refund has not been issued yet...." Does this mean the buyer can ask for their money back?  I"m not going to throw a fit over a $1.00, but if this happens in the future for an item far more expensive am I on the hook here for a refund because of an issue with the buyer's account?   Given it took them over 24 hours from purchase for eBay to send me this message it seems like reason not to ship things quickly (but shipping things quickly is part of the feedback process...)  Obviously shipping insurance wouldn't apply because the carrier didn't mess up. 

It's also possible that's just boilerplate language and doesn't apply in every situation.  Regardless, it's strange.

Anyone had this issue before?  Any help would be great!

Message 1 of 1
latest reply
0 REPLIES 0