cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay, It is the small volume sellers that made you what you are today... Don't abandon them......

As a member for over 20 years, I clearly remember how over the last two decades, eBay has gradually shifted its selling policies to favor the the high volume corporate sellers. The small sellers who made eBay what it is today have been abandoned. Every new policy favors the mega-sellers and the sellers who are trying to supplement their income or Social Security benefits get penalized and pay the highest fees.  Mom & Pop stores and small sellers are forced to offer buyers the same services that are standard policy for billion dollar corporations such as Amazon, Walmart, Overstock, etc. The latest is their new payment method... eBay has taken over control of proceeds from my sales. I have to wait to get paid, they have access to my bank account and denied me from having my funds instantly go to PayPal and do with it as I wish.  mandatory return policy of 30 days is OK for Amazon, but for a small seller its beyond unfair.  Example; I can sell a pair of preowned Gucci shoes, the buyer can wear it for his upcoming job interview and then returns it for a refund. Sounds farfetched? Its not. eBay, remember your roots and and stop squeezing every penny you can from the modest profits made by your founding members.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

eBay, It is the small volume sellers that made you what you are today... Don't abandon them......

everything you said is true

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Since Pay Pal decided to not process payments for Ebay any more, they had to come up with another way we could be paid, so they decided to go with Adyen.

Adyen requires a bank account to deposit your payments and Pay Pal isn't a bank.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

eBay has taken over control of proceeds from my sales.

I guess you joined after eBay gave up their in-house payment processor Billpoint, and bought Paypal from Elon Musk as their in-house payment processor.

EBay was forced to divest of PP, which until five years ago they owned and which was a profit centre for them.

Now Managed Payments is set to be a profit centre for eBay.

I have to wait to get paid,

True. Paypal was willing to "front" the payments which had not yet processed while Ayden/Managed Payments is not.
Paypal did not front "echecks", payments from bank accounts, only those from credit cards and balances.

they have access to my bank account and denied me from having my funds instantly go to PayPal and do with it as I wish.

Paypal also had access to your bank account and your credit card.

If you did not refund promptly in a Dispute, PP would take the money from you. 

You may not have realized this, because like most sellers you never were in that position.

mandatory return policy of 30 days is OK for Amazon, but for a small seller its beyond unfair.

Neither eBay nor PP mandate returns,

Both mandate REFUNDS. Sellers can refuse returns (one easy example is the glass seller who really does not want the return of a box of shards and settles for a photo).

The Paypal  Dispute /refund period is 180 days from Payment. Much longer than the 30 days from Delivery that eBay demands.

I do not know what the Dispute period will be with Managed Payments.

Example; I can sell a pair of preowned Gucci shoes, the buyer can wear it for his upcoming job interview and then returns it for a refund.

And the seller has a pair of preowned Gucci shoes back to resell.

Depending on the reason for the return, the buyer may have to pay for return shipping. Maybe.

Does this happen to you more than once in one hundred sales?

Does the cost of the return (plus lost opportunity costs, of course) make a huge impact on your business.
With PP, as stated above, the buyer could keep the shoes for nearly six months and still return them for a refund.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

eBay does mandate returns. When I first became a seller, I was able to post a 7 day return policy, it then went to a minimum of 14, and now its 30 days.  Sure, I can opt not to accept returns, but my seller rating suffer as well as my fees. So in their own subtle way, they are forcing sellers to adopt Amazon type policies.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Not returns.

Refunds.

You can refuse to allow the buyer to return the unwanted item.

You can't refuse to refund an unhappy buyer.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I'm not sure if reallynicestamps is defending eBay or just enjoys a debate, but we are definitely  not on the same page. If you are well off and sell on eBay as a hobby, I understand, but I'm an eBay seller to put food on the table. The average low to middle income person gets next to zero return on their investments. Interest on bank savings accounts don't exist, return on CDs is a joke, if however you have a nice nest-egg in an IRA, you're doing OK FOR NOW. A buyer makes an eBay purchase and regardless of the payment method, eBay gets instant funds. A real example; I signed up for eBay Managed Pay 4 days ago. I have since made 4 sales and can only look at the proceeds but have no access to it, and probably wont for another 5 days or more. So, eBay with 2 Billion transactions per day is sitting on the entire proceeds of every transaction for about a week. To round it out, eBay is collecting interest on the proceeds of 14 BILLION transactions in any given week. They are making a fortune by holding on to their sellers funds, while the buyer is not affected in the least. The trend of protecting the buyer with little regard toward the seller has been increasing for over a decade. It started with protecting buyers from negative feedback and steering sellers to go with a 30 day return policy. So, I stand by the title of my original posting; "eBay, It is the small volume sellers that made you what you are today... Don't abandon them".....

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Ads far as kensgiftshop reply, if PP had the ability to provide instant access to your eBay sales, then so does Ebay. 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Hi Linda, thanks for the reply and support.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

eBay as with all other online selling venue has to move forward as the other's move forward.  Amazon being the top dog in the online marketplace sets the standard for customer service so other's either follow or get left behind. Seller's didn't build this platform, the Buyers did.  Without them we don't exist.  Have you ever tried selling on any of the other platforms?  I have and can say without hesitation that nothing compares to eBay. It's still a community, I get actual customer service and it offers me a greater volume of sales than any of the other's. Go check out the seller forums on the top dog as it may offer you some context in regards to what happens when a venue truly doesn't care about it's sellers.  Yes, there are things I'd like to different but it's not my business/website so I accept what is, make any necessary adjustments and continue to do business.  

Message 10 of 10
latest reply