cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wine decanter

Baffled, why the hole in the middle of the decanter? Thank You20221128_131502.jpg20221128_131529.jpg

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

wine decanter

@vintagepl,

Sometimes bottles like these are intended for use as a cruet, to hold oil (in the main bottle) and wine vinegar (in the internal part). However, those usually have more of a spout provided for pouring the vinegar than your one does, so I think yours may be more decorative.

www.ebay.com/itm/124283297878

image.png

I have seen vintage Chianti (?) bottles that had an internal chamber opening to the side, but the opening was larger, and it was used to put ice into to chill the wine without diluting it. Yours would not work that way.

I think this is more decorative than anything else. It would like lovely with a colored wine inside, whether there was anything in the grapes or not (and it would be just about  impossible to clean inside the grapes, if you did fill it with something).

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

wine decanter

@vintagepl Looks like you can fill the inner portion with a different liquid but missing a stopper. Could just be for decoration to look different. I like this bottle and I would try to find a small stopper or make one out of a larger cork. You could fill the inner 'grape' with a second liquor, and it would look great. Best of luck to you.... 

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

wine decanter

It's hard to tell from photos, but does the grape section connect into the main part of the bottle? If it does, then this appears to be part of an aerator function, but missing a piece.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

wine decanter

@vintagepl,

Sometimes bottles like these are intended for use as a cruet, to hold oil (in the main bottle) and wine vinegar (in the internal part). However, those usually have more of a spout provided for pouring the vinegar than your one does, so I think yours may be more decorative.

www.ebay.com/itm/124283297878

image.png

I have seen vintage Chianti (?) bottles that had an internal chamber opening to the side, but the opening was larger, and it was used to put ice into to chill the wine without diluting it. Yours would not work that way.

I think this is more decorative than anything else. It would like lovely with a colored wine inside, whether there was anything in the grapes or not (and it would be just about  impossible to clean inside the grapes, if you did fill it with something).

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

wine decanter

no, it doesnt connect to main part. Thank you

Message 5 of 5
latest reply