cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lithograph print

I found a couple of lithograph prints in the attic that was stored in the original shipping containers.  The containers are round cardboard cylinder rolls.  The prints were left in this container for 20 plus years.   I do not see any damage but I know nothing at all about art or the storage thereof so can't be sure.  Do you think that the prints have been ruined by leaving them in the containers?

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

lithograph print

Having studied paper conservation a bit, the main concern would be exposure to acids that typically were used in cardboard. If the tube stayed in relatively stable temperature & humidity they might be ok.

Comic collectors deal with paper degradation issues often. They have something called an OWL gauge that is a set of colors that indicate how yellow the low grade paper has become due to acids in the paper.

One way to make a general guess of this would be to put a piece of white printer paper or equivalent next to the print background and compare the two.

Otherwise, things to watch for are brittleness of paper, creases, tears or stains. Conservators usually store valuable prints flat in acid-free containers, but sometimes time is kind to an old item.

Hope this helps some. 

Message 2 of 2
latest reply