cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any license plate collectors here. Unusual Pa. tag?

I have a 1960 Plymouth Suburban[pictured]. Pennsylvania allows the use of vintage/antique license plates on classic/antique cars IF the # on the tag is not in current use.  

A few years ago I found this nice pair of  what I believe to be Press Photographer plates? They're stamped "1960 SUBURBAN" so I thought they would be perfect from my 1960 Suburban?

A couple curious things to ME anyway, all the Pa. press photographer's tags I have seen have "PP" in a keystone symbol. This does not. I'm guessing it might be because it was a "SUBURBAN" plate not the standard plate so maybe it had to be made special?  Pa. doesn't use a front plate but this is a used[1 year only] pair. Maybe because it is a special purpose tag, it might have been used front &  rear? 

Did Pa. use the letters "PP" as a prefix for none press photographers IF the "PP" was not inside a "Keystone" symbol?

In other words, could I still use these or sell them? I've seen other "PP" Pa. tags from this era sell for $75 and up.  IF these are not legal for private use and are that unusual, then they might be fairly rare?Picture 857.jpgDSCN6000.JPGDSCN5997.JPG

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Any license plate collectors here. Unusual Pa. tag?

IF anyone might be interested.

I found that Pa. did have front & rear tags but during WW2's metal shortages, Pa. stopped making the front tags and reinstated them in 1947 but stopped front plates for good in 1952 because of popular demand.

Tags stamped "SUBURBAN"[station wagon] were only issued in 1960 then through 1964, a date sticker was added to the 1960 tag. 

Researching, I went to a Pa. license plate forum and found a picture of my exact plate donated by a "Chuck Harrington". Not sure but as best i can tell, he MIGHT have had something to do with the Governor's tags and he apparently has/had a decent Pa. license plate collection?

Message 2 of 2
latest reply