cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

avoid this sports card box breaker!

Seller advertised break and auctions concluded as usual.  However, after two messages from me requesting an invoice for combined shipping (as per listing) the seller waited until 1/2 hour before the event  (2 hours after the auctions ended) to message me the deal was off due to 'so many participants not paying'.  However, he would be relisting the break for Sunday!

I had won 8 of the 32 teams available, all at cheaper prices than I would have expected.  What are the chances of 24 other people not paying?  It is also usual for sellers to offer unpaid teams to those who have paid.  Clearly the seller did not get the expected revenue and was not prepared to take the hit.  However that is the nature of the box break world - buyers do this nearly every time.

Just wanted to forewarn anyone that may be considering buying into a break with this seller.  If the deal seems too good it is unlikely you will see the rewards!

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

@kedabro-0,

" ... to message me the deal was off due to 'so many participants not paying'. However, he would be relisting the break for Sunday!  I had won 8 of the 32 teams available, all at cheaper prices than I would have expected".

Did you check the seller's feedback profile before bidding? There may have been warnings in their feedback that they had done this before.  You might also find that the seller has not received any feedback As A Seller, or no selling feedback in over year, which you can check by clicking on that tab on their profile page.   If the haven't sold before or in over a year, they may have run into ebay's 21 day hold on the payments they receive as a new or returning seller, and they do not know how to deal with it, to get the funds released sooner, which unfortunately is a fairly common occurrence. 

New sellers often take ebay's poor advice to start auctions at a low price "To encourage bidding" which  often does not work out well for them.  They should go through with the transaction, but ebay cannot force them to.  They will receive a defect on their account for each cancellation, and those will not only extend the new seller hold time frame, but cost them the final value fees they have to pay for the transactions.

You cannot name and shame other ebay members on these boards so your warning about an unnamed seller does no good. Because you couldn't pay you can't leave feedback.

As for the seller not responding quickly to your message about combined shipping, not all sellers can be on the site 24/7 and if auctions were still ending they may have been waiting for them to all end before starting to work out combined shipping costs.  

FYI>  If a seller mentions combined shipping on an auction, once the auctions end they will be in the same box on your purchase history or you can then place the listings in the Cart, and there is a request total from seller button no matter which way you do that. Don't forget that the invoices include taxes which cannot be calculated before an auction ends.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

@kedabro-0,

I was interrupted just after starting my last reply and really messed it up. 

Your seller is not be new or returning, but certainly sets up their auctions like a new seller, actually doing dumber things than a lot of new sellers do.  

Starting listings at .99¢ 

Listing the auction durations for 1 Day only. 

Having ending times from 2am to 5am PDT on some.

It also looks like you have to JOIN their "break club" and maybe pay a fee in advance of the auction.

"PLEASE ENSURE PAYMENT IS SUBMITTED IMMEDIATELY BUT NO LATER THAN 1 HOUR BEFORE THE BREAK IS SCHEDULED TO BEGIN (Thursday August 4th 8PM PST)"

The above may be why He cancelled your wins, you didn't join his club before bidding.

He has relisted several of yesterdays auctions, even ones that received higher prices.

If you had read everything on those listings terms of sale, you should have run from them.  

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 3
latest reply