cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wooden Barbie-like doll w/ "pat. pend."

Hi all.  I have a painted, wooden, Barbie-looking doll, 12" tall, with painted blue eyes and painted reddish brown hair, "pat. pend." on the back (no #), and, dark brown painted on shoes w/ pegs on the fronts of the shoes, maybe to insert into a display stand of some sort-I don't know.  Does anyone have any info on this? doll.  doll 1.JPGdoll 5.JPGdoll 8.JPGdoll 11.JPG

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Looks like a model for making doll clothing.. 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@blubird1 ,

This doesn't really look like wood, it looks  more like an early molded-plastic doll.

Could you post a clear closeup shot of the Pat. Pend. mark on the back? The current picture is very out of focus, and I can't see any mark at all.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

In the 1940s Simplicity and other pattern companies made sewing sets to teach little girls how to sew. They usually came with a doll-sized mannequin, a similar-size dress form, and various patterns and sewing notions. There were a few that also came with a child-size sewing machine. The dolls are very sought-after today. 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@kathiec 

Thank you for that knowledge,.

Is that what the OP's doll is?

That's what it looked like to me but not being much of a doll expert it was only speculation.

Thank you.. 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Definitely a sewing mannequin doll. They made them of plaster (i.e., composition), plastic, or rubber, among other things. Looks like you have a Simplicity or McCalls mannequin from the 1940s. A variety of companies made them, but each company has a particular "look" to theirs. Poke around a little on the web, using Images. I searched "vintage sewing mannequin doll"...see what looks consistently most similar to yours, same kind of face, stance, arms, shoes, etc. And as someone mentioned above, if you have any indicia (copyright markings or other i.d.), this should help.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Yes, what the OP has is a sewing mannequin. I delved into my Pinterest Dolls board and found a pic of a Simplicity set that looks a lot like the OP's:

216ed6ad1637f8879a8063453d4d4426.jpg

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Ohhh Nice!!  Thank you. 

That's awesome you found the photo..

I'm going to ping the op as I don't know if they've been back..

@blubird1  Looks like you got some great info on your item up thread..

~Pika~

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Thanks to you all for excellent info!  

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Hi everyone,

This topic has been closed at the request of the OP.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply