cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received message from buyer stating item did not arrive, but tracking shows it was delivered

Hello everyone. So earlier today, I received a notification from eBay that a customer had open and item not received claim and the tracking information shows it was delivered. The item in question is a Pokemon Trading Card valued over $100 and I shipped it via First Class Package, fully insured. I'm just really not sure what to do, as the buyer says they don't blame me for this and also mentioned that they've had issues with their postal carrier in the past. Any advice or insights would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Received message from buyer stating item did not arrive, but tracking shows it was delivered

If the item shows delivered, that means that it might have been stolen from the porch or hall.  Insurance will NEVER pay if the tracking shows delivered. Ask the buyer to look around the property to see if perhaps the carrier put it by a bush or behind the fence. Ask the buyer if perhaps someone in their home got it and put it in a drawer and forgot about.  Ask if a neighbor might've taken it and forgot to tell him about it.

If no luck, ask the buyer to go to the post office with the tracking #.  Ask to speak with the postmaster.  He/she can look in their computer and it will give him more information like the name of the carrier and the exact location of where the item was dropped off.   Example.. It was dropped off at 10 Elm Pl. instead of 10 Elm Rd. If this is the case, the post office and try and get it back.  

As a seller, you are no longer responsible if the tracking shows delivered.  It's possible that the buyer will get it tomorrow because the carrier scanned it as delivered and left it in the truck.  It's possible too that you never hear from this buyer because he was "fishing" for a refund.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

If the item shows delivered, that means that it might have been stolen from the porch or hall.  Insurance will NEVER pay if the tracking shows delivered. Ask the buyer to look around the property to see if perhaps the carrier put it by a bush or behind the fence. Ask the buyer if perhaps someone in their home got it and put it in a drawer and forgot about.  Ask if a neighbor might've taken it and forgot to tell him about it.

If no luck, ask the buyer to go to the post office with the tracking #.  Ask to speak with the postmaster.  He/she can look in their computer and it will give him more information like the name of the carrier and the exact location of where the item was dropped off.   Example.. It was dropped off at 10 Elm Pl. instead of 10 Elm Rd. If this is the case, the post office and try and get it back.  

As a seller, you are no longer responsible if the tracking shows delivered.  It's possible that the buyer will get it tomorrow because the carrier scanned it as delivered and left it in the truck.  It's possible too that you never hear from this buyer because he was "fishing" for a refund.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

After the buyer notified me, I suggested to them that they contact their post office and check with the neighbors. I also created a postal research case with USPS to see if that would help provide any answers. But as you said, beyond that, my hands are tied. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@bluejayy9 

Be sure to upload the tracking # to the case on eBay.

Your USPS research case will likely close very quickly. Item delivered.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thanks for the advice! I just checked the tracking info on the order again and noticed that the research case was open and closed rather quickly, just as you said. I uploaded the tracking # to the case. 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Should the buyer leave you negative feedback remember that you can have it removed since you won the case.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply