cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O guage

Im trying to find some O gauge rolling stock but all the results are for lionel three rail which isn't what I want. what keywords do you recommend I use??

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

O guage

@jp-4981,

When you are doing a search for an "O" item I would suggest you might get scale items if you add 1:48 scale to a search. EX: O scale, 1:48 Box Car.  Then look in the Item specifics for Scale: 1:48  I found several listed that way.

https://www.ebay.com/dsc/Toys-Hobbies/220/i.html?LH_TitleDesc=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sab...

All O track has the same distance between the outer rails both Gauge and Scale.  In general use, O gauge refers to 3 rail model railroading made popular by Lionel. Three rail rolling stock from various manufacturers, will operate on the O gauge 3 rail or 2 rail track of any manufacturer.

O Scale refers to trains that run on 2 rail O track. The term O Scale also is used to designate a commitment to scale size reproduction of real life in a scale of 1:48 size, the ratio between the real world and the model. All buildings, people, locomotives, rolling stock, etc., are sized accurately to this proportion 1:48 (1/4 inch equals 1 foot)

MTH, Atlas, Lionel and I am sure others, do make O scale 1:48 rolling stock.  Lionel has been making "true scale items" for the last several years, but the re-pops of their post war items are still 1:43 scale, so If you are looking for lighted passenger cars the reproductions may still use the center rail roller, for power. I have not bought any O rolling stock for many years and do not know if Lionel is designating scale on the boxes of their new items. I also do not know if they re-scaled their trucks to O scale.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

O guage

Thank you for your reply Ive added "2 rail" to the search and it seems to help.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply