cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Louis Marx wind up digging crane

Hello,                                      March 3, 2024

I am trying to find and hopefully buy a Louis Marx wind up digging crane just like the one I used to have back in the early 1950's. This mostly metal toy had a tin lithographed dark olive green cab about 5 to 6 inches by 5 to 6 inches in size and about 5 to 6 inches tall. The right hand side of this cab had a chrome metal wind up key. On top there was a selector knob or stick shift to direct the wind up energy to raise or lower the brass chain and brass bucket with teeth etched in it. Also  this energy could rotate the cab left or right or move the black rubber treads forward or backward. The crane boom was red pressed steel about 12 to 14 inches long. The entire piece sat on a red metal base attaching to black rubber treads.

This toy was made in the American zone of West Germany in the late 1940's into the early 1950's patterned after the German all metal wind up Biller-Bohn digging crane that had white rubber treads and tin metal lithographed bucket, also with a chrome wind up key and similar dark green lithographed cab of similar size and dimensions as the Louis Marx crane.

Please let me know if you have any information about this item.

As far as I know, my mother gave my Louis Marx digging crane away to someone who helped her when I was not around and she was in a big hurry to sell the entire house and move into a senior citizen center.

I would like to find this exact one or another in just as good condition.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

@maxwellbitesme,

Louis Marx did manufacture "Hans Biller" - "Biller Toys" items under license Several of their small wind up crane toys were Biller items.  However, none of them was marked as Made in US/American zone Germany.  Only toys imported from Germany had that stamped or printed on them. Below is a screen shot of the Biller excavator, but its Cab has the very definite appearance of a European steam shovel or excavator.

mudshark61369_0-1709571513529.png

I did find a similar toy, but it is not a Marx toy and I'm not sure if it is a wind up toy.

mudshark61369_1-1709572515336.jpeg

I searched through all of my available toy guides, (most of which are boxed up right now including two on Marx toys only), looking under Marx tin wind up, Marx Mechanical crane, steam shovel, excavator and could not find one listed. 

You may want to use the link below to the Marx virtual toy museum someone there may be able to help you.  http://www.marxmuseum.com/

Good Luck, and let us know if you get any info on the toy.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Hello,                                            March 4, 2024

Thank you so much for your email reply thru  Ebay and your helpful information.

I really appreciate the color photographs. I have sent out a email to the Louis Marx Museum people and

I am waiting to see what they are able to tell me or send me for any photos.

Thank you again.

Fred P.  (maxwellbitesme)

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Hello,                                March 5, 2024

Thank you for your helpful email reply to my Ebay Community posting about the Louis Marx and Biller-Bohn wind up digging crane with clam shell bucket. I also appreciate the color photo posting of the auction house outside of Ebay. Thank you again.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply