cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grenadier Miniature Help

Going through a huge lot of old miniature I came across this enigma from Grenadier 1984.  it is a pre-painted pewter (similar to their champions superhero line) Spider-Man Venom Black Suit miniature which was produced in the same year as the suit debut in comics.  The only problem is I cannot find any history of Grenadier making Marvel Miniatures of any kind.  Anybody who is a miniature expert know how this came about? 20220304_131725.jpg20220304_131625.jpg20220304_131707.jpg

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Grenadier Miniature Help

@junas777,

I know that Grenadier Miniatures had the rights and did produce the DC super hero line.  In `84 they started having issues with them because of their expansion into the U.S. market.  If I remember correctly in the late '80s  in some of their news letters,  Grenadier was hinting at an expansion of their super hero lines.  Nothing seemed to come of that and  Grenadier had to split into two companies "Miniatures" (England & Europe) "Model"  (USA, Canada) in `89-`91.  

This morning I called the owner of the shop I used to work at on weekends back then, an old friend, who had/has a lot of contact with his suppliers, to see if he knew anything about Grenadier making Marvel Characters.

I sent him screen shots of your photos and he replied a little while ago, that Grenadier did try to get a license to make Marvel characters, and that your figure may have been part of a group of test sculptures from back then, that were never released.  Grenadier went out of business in 1996, so it may have been part of a proposed set that somehow got into private hands. Grenadier Models had offices in NYC and a plant in Pennsylvania, where that figure may have come from. He also said if you plan to sell it on ebay to be very careful about using the Marvel or a Character name in the title since they are copyrighted. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 2
latest reply