cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doll hospital

Does anyone know of a good doll hospital? I clean and fix them up here, but some things are beyond my knowledge and ability.

All suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Doll hospital

@valleywag,

That is something you would have to look up online. Most large metropolitan areas had at least one, at one time, but like many niche hobbies, most of those shops have gone the way of the Dodo bird.  They relied on retail sales to run the hospitals, and the large chain stores ran them out of business.

We had a very well known and regarded one in our area, that was around for 60 years. They just couldn't compete with the chain stores though. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Doll hospital

Hi there,

Thank you so much for your helpful and useful suggestions. I am in Michigan, not too far from Ann Arbor, where they have at least one of everything.

Sadly, the only doll hospital closed some time ago. I'm pretty good at rejuvenating and refreshing them, but some actually need to be restrung,and I don't have the tools or knowledge. I was hoping for someplace that I could send them to be fixed. I wish the sellers had let me know B-4 I bought them.  Whelp, that'll larn me.

Thanks again. I'll get on it right away.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Doll hospital

@valleywag,

I'm in the Detroit area, so we are both probably thinking about the old Doll Hospital and Toy Soldier Shop that was in Berkley Mi..  I went to Michigan, and spent a lot of time in Ann Arbor before and after my time at UofM. I don't ever remember there being a Doll Hospital/Repair shop there. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Doll hospital

Just curious:  If you are saying that you've purchased dolls on eBay that were not as described, or had defects or flaws that weren't mentioned in the listing, did you not open item not as described cases?  

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Doll hospital

I foolishly didn't open the boxes for a long time. There was some problem with the mail that I didn't get anything for a long while, then everything came at once. I think I was over the time limit for returns.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Doll hospital

Most doll restoration is done online now. There are also numerous tutorials on doing it yourself. It's really not that difficult. You can Google to find both online repair and tutorials.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Doll hospital

Thanks for the info.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Doll hospital

Dolls by Diane - She's in Florida but does business on-line also. She basically does just about any and all kinds of doll repair except Barbie dolls or any action Figure like GI Joe.

A friend  had a doll fixed there and it was an amazing job,.  Her website is at: dollsbydiane.com

Check her site and see if that's what you are looking for.

And Good Luck!

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Doll hospital

Although your message here is old, please make a note on what to do if what you receive is not as described: 

You have 30 days after receipt to open an item not as described case with eBay.

Paypal gives you 180 days.

Most credit cards give you close to that.  

There is no reason to just let it slide if/when you receive an item that is not as described.

Have you read eBay's Money Back Guarantee for buyers?

Message 11 of 11
latest reply