cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I pay for shipping cost should I get a tracking number

Is the seller trying to cut cost or something I’m new to eBay and it’s happened to me a couple times where I don’t have the tracking number & I paid for the shipping cost. I don’t know where it’s at and I’m worrying if it got lost because it’s been longer than the expected delivery date and I can’t check where it’s at because I don’t have the tracking number.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

@phillipito210tx  

Tracking is for the sellers protection to prove delivery.  Even if the item has "free shipping"  you are paying for the shipping as that just means that the seller added the shipping cost to the item price. 

Look for the last estimated delivery date in your purchase history.  You can file a refund request when it is past that date.   I suggest waiting a week to allow for postal service delays.

If the item does happen to arrive AFTER the seller refunds you then ask the seller for a paypal invoice so you can pay them back, this is how ebay says to handle this situation. 

Find your item here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/returns-refunds/get-help-item-hasnt-arrived?id=4042&st=2&pos=2&quer...

4 business days after you file the refund request ask ebay to step in and help if the seller has not refunded you.  If you do not ask ebay to step in and help then the case closes after 21 days and you lose. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/returns-refunds/ask-ebay-to-step-in?id=4701

You have 30 days from the last estimated delivery date to file a refund request on ebay.  

If it is over that you can file a refund request on PayPal up to 180 days from date of purchase.

File the claim here https://www.paypal.com/disputes/

Escalate the dispute to paypal if the seller doesn't refund you after a few days.    If you do not escalate the dispute the case closes after 20 days and you lose. 

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-escalate-a-dispute-to-a-claim-faq822

Or if you did not pay using PayPal you can file a chargeback with your bank or credit card.

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@phillipito210tx 

It's nice when they do, but a seller is not required to supply a tracking number.

If you don't have your item by the estimated delivery date, the next day file an item not received in the resolution center below.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I rarely track any of my sales because the cheapest cost for a tracked shipment is $10 and that's for domestic shipping here in Canada.

Since the postal system is very good at its job, even in these trying times, I rarely have any Not Received disputes. Perhaps one a year over the past 20+ years on eBay.

Tracking is a Seller Protection.

It protects the seller from unwarranted claims of non-delivery.

Most problems are actually late delivery, especially these days.

EBay gives the buyer an estimated window for delivery.

Mark the last date on your calendar.

If your item has not arrived by then, you can get a Refund through the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.

If you are not home when the carrier arrives, she will leave a Notice that tells you where and when you can pick up your purchase.

If you don't have a secure place for parcels to be left, you can ask the seller to mark your shipment "Hold for Pickup/No Safe Drop" and it will be held at the PO for you.  Canada Post does not charge for this . I don't know about USPS.

Actually one scam I've heard is giving a tracking number that shows an item on its way, when nothing was ever sent. The scammer is trying to make the buyer wait past the 30 day s from estimated delivery limit to the Money Back Guarantee.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

When shipping an item from some countries via the postal service,the tracking number which they gave us is not working some times.this course to buyer get disappointed about the seller some times

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

A better explanation 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Helpful

Message 7 of 7
latest reply