cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hMMMM, it's time for M's like Malta, Marianas, and Macrophily!

Let's see how many different M things we can get for this series.  Also, let's hear from some more of the members and the dwellers in the balcony! 

jimbo

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

M is for Miss Maria in Madrid

Tientsin, China, in 1903 was still recovering from the Boxer Rebellion. Contingents of European nations were still flexing their muscles. Correspondence from the many people deployed from Europe is relatively common. This postal card to a damsel in Madrid is typical.

The cover is franked with a 1900 4c orange brown Chinese Imperial Post Coiling Dragon (probably Scott 113). It was cancelled in Tientsin on June 9, 1903. It proceeded to Shanghai for a transit mark on June 13. There I believe it was transferred to the French Post Office as evidenced by the French CDS - 'SHANG-HAI | CHINE'. Unfortunately the date cannot be deciphered clearly beyond June but I expect it was June 13 as well. The next stop was in Madrid on July 24.

The illustration shows 'Wheelbarrow-kulies in Tientsin.' China has accomplished much with huge amounts of hand labor. They built roads and dams with nothing more than wheelbarrows like those shown.

jimbo

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

M is for the March of Dimes

This organization was created by Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1938 to fight polio which was then on the rise. First known as the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis, it began a polio patient aid program and funded research on vaccines.

Once the Salk vaccines were produced and distributed there were no more polio epidemics, and the focus of the organization shifted to preventing birth defects and infant mortality. These days, premature birth is also targeted.

I have seen five slogan cancels relating to the March of Dimes, four of which are shown below. The fifth is:

GIVE

TO THE

MARCH OF DIMES

known used from 1975 to 1986.

The Shriners Hospital for Crippled Children in east Portland, Oregon was built in 1923. Its main focus was orthopedics to help children with polio. In 1983 a new hospital was built on Marquam Hill and a wide range of pediatric orthopedic conditions are treated there.

The old hospital was deconstructed in 2004, and the affordable living complex “Columbia Knoll” was built on the site.

March of Dimes Shriners Hospital small.jpg

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Here's Macao to San Francisco and returned to Manila on the 1937 return flight of FAM14 to China.

The plane left San Francisco with official stops at Hawaii, Guam and Manila before landing in Macao.  It then went on to the final destination - Hong Kong.  It left Hong Kong for the return flight, not stopping in Macao.  Flight covers were mailed from Macao for the Macao-Hong Kong flight and the return flight legs from Macao to Manila, Guam, Hawaii and SF.

This registered cover was mailed on April 28 using Macao's first airmail stamps (six surcharges) which were issued in 1936.

According to the Macau Postal Museum, 9,265 regular  and 1,723 registered covers were sent from Macao for the flight to SF.

It was cancelled in SF on May 4.  As Mr Cacho did not "claim" his cover, it was stamped RETOUR (RETURN TO WRITER)/UNCLAIMED, cancelled May 26 and returned to Manila where it was cancelled on June 18.

Rich
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

M is for Mauritius

I have a large collection of Mauritius which badly needs sorting out - plenty of covers and plenty of blocks:-

1867 cover to Bordeaux via Marseilles SG 62

Mauritius-1867-cover.jpg

SG101 

SG101-Block.jpg

SG 118

SG118b--block.jpg

SG123

SG123-Block.jpg

and SG 129

SG129-Block.jpg

Cheers
Peter -British Central Africa - Follow the logo for the Yellow Boxes
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

M is for Mess Mourning Cover

I've been working on my Egyptian stuff, specifcally making pages for the 4th issue--the pretty De La Rue sphinxes.  The basic pages are printed out, and I'm beginning to dig through a lot of unorganized material (that's where the Mess comes from)  Except for postcards, a lot of the values seem to be harder to find on cover.  However, I did find this mourning cover.  It's franked with 2 2 millemes stamps.  The cover  was mailed from Cairo on October 2,  1902 to Neihart, Montana.  It went via London (incomplete receiving cancel on the back) and arrived in Neihart at 2 PM on an unspecified date.  Unfortunately both the London and Neihart cancels are partial. There's a handwritten note on the side of the front with a date of11/20/02.  I can't tell if that's when the cover arrived or when the recipient sent a reply.

Receiving one of these covers must have been the equivalent of the middle of the  night phone call that you dread receiving.

I picked this up on eBay in late 2000 for five bucks.  Oh for those prices today.

Anne in NJ

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I had thought to post this one under 'H' for Henderson, but procrastination took hold and it's really better posted under 'M' for both Mozambique and Motorcycle. There is more detail in the link...

Henderson Motorcycle Advertising Cover

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@sheryll*net wrote:

The Shriners Hospital for Crippled Children in east Portland, Oregon was built in 1923. Its main focus was orthopedics to help children with polio. In 1983 a new hospital was built on Marquam Hill and a wide range of pediatric orthopedic conditions are treated there.

The old hospital was deconstructed in 2004, and the affordable living complex “Columbia Knoll” was built on the site.

I spent many months at the hospital on 82nd and Sandy in Portland between 1964 and 1971... My record was 7 months 20 days with three operations and recovery. 🙂

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

March of Dimes (cont)

billsey - That's a long time! I hope you were treated well there.

Here is the fifth slogan as mentioned below.
Known used from 1964-1986. The type of machine used was Mark II.

March of Dimes Give WA to ID to AZ small.jpg

Note that this is a very cheap collecting area. I happened to see this cover and picked it up out of our stamp club sales boxes last night for 5c.

I also thought it was going to fit into my "Order of Statehood Correspondence" display, (42 WA -> 43 ID) but the redirection to 48 AZ makes it ineligible.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

M is for Mixed Flour.  The US issued taxpaid revenues for packages of "mixed flour" starting in 1898 and into the 1940s.  The tax was small, 4 cents per barrel (196 pounds).  The stamp shown here is the last series (series of 1916), which exists rouletted 3 1/2 and 7.  Earlier series were larger and more ornate; the original 1898 series was the first stamp surface printed by the BEP. 

The 1916 stamps were in 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 and 1 barrel denominations (the 1 barrel is rare), so were generally attached to wholesale cartons or packages rather than retail packs.  There were never very many manufacturers (the labeling requirement practically eliminated the category), so not very many different cancels seem to be available.

So what is mixed flour, anyway?  Generally, it's flour that was not guaranteed to be wheat flour - the act was a reaction to producers who were mixing substantial amounts of cornmeal into wheat flour and still selling the result as flour. 

I decided to do a one frame exhibit of these when I was bored at a show but it has been a real struggle to find material!

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

My favoritte "M"  country would be Monaco.  Below are some of my favorite pages from this tiny place thay only six times bigger than my than my property, location location location!  In the past few months I've added several of the difficult stamps from the first semi postal page and nearly all of the stamps from the second semi postal page. 

monaco01.jpg

monaco02.jpg

monaco05.jpg

monaco14.jpg

monacob01.jpg

monacob02.jpgmonacoc01.jpgmonacoc02.jpg

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Some really interesting items.

Sheryll, The March of Dimes is one of the oldest charities along with the Red Cross that I remember.  We used to have sheets of plywood on sawhorses with slots for collecting dimes for them.  Brings back memories.
Rich, F.A.M. 14 items are always of interest to me.  I'll bet everyone gets some thrill from the China Clipper.
Peter, Beautiful Mauritius items.  Those blocks are wonderful and well-scanned.
Anne,  I know what you mean by a letter you didn't want to get.  Not many of those ever got sent to Montana!
Bill, The Henderson motorcycle story is one I had never heard.  Always a great day when you can learn something new.
Matt, Mixed Flour?   A tax on adulterated flour?  Sounds like the taxes on colored margarine.  Fun item.
Mitch, Your Monaco is impressive.  A nice choice for display.

And now a daily contribution.  Note the neat inclusion of M is for Macau 😉

Today in Postal History

August 14, 1911

Macau to Hong Kong
72 years ago today.

This UPU card has a very interesting franking (apparently there was no prepaid postage). It is the 1911 1a black Typeset Provisional (Scott 162 - Ed. Note: Healthy catalog value). There is a Macau CDS for August 14.

The arrival in Hong Kong was noted by an August 15 CDS .

The recipient was Graca & Co. in the Hongkong Ho[t]el Building. This firm took photographs of southeast Asia and published postcards for years. Their name is found on many Asian picture postcards from the early 20th century. There was apparently some philatelic interest in many of the used cards.

The sender said, "Will post today[?] 100 cards." Apparently an ordinary business transaction.

One doesn't see something like this every day.

jimbo

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

M is for Montserrat specimen stamps with Madagascar and Mauritania receiving authority handstamps.

When countries received specimen stamps from the UPU, the receiving authorities would sometimes place them in record books and handstamp them with the receiving country name.  Here are examples of Madagascar handstamps on Montserrat War Tax specimen stamps and Mauritania handstamps on the 1922-29 Montserrat specimen set.  The stamps are affixed to pieces of their record pages.

Specimen stamps were distributed by the UPU to countries in triplicate beginning in October 1907, hence the strips of three.

Madagascar.jpg

Mauritania.jpg

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

It's true I am a Mad block collector so more Mauritius plate blocks

SG183

SG183-Block.jpg

SG 184

SG184-Block.jpg

SG 191

SG191-Block.jpg

SG208

SG208-Block.jpg

SG210

SG210-Block.jpg

SG214