cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are My Listings and Who sees Them?

I buy and sell stamps.  When I buy stamps, I usually browse the Stamp Categories to find bargains.  I am not entering Key Words, Item Numbers or a Seller's Information.  I simply want to see all listings ending in the next 24 hours or even items Newly Listed, all within my designated Category.  When selling stamps, I mostly list items using Buy it Now format and use the appropriate US Stamp Categories.   I expect buyers to be able to see all of my listings that are currently active.  I like it when repeat buyers continue to make purchases when they search My Other Items.  Sometimes a buyer is looking for a particular stamp and will search with key words or better yet, a Catalog Number.   If, like me, a buyer is just browsing my listings and looking for bargains, I want them to see every Listing.

Here's the problem.  Buyers browsing active listings using Shop by Category searching all listings with Time Ending Soonest, won't see a lot of my listings.  

About 7 weeks ago while I was browsing US Stamp Categories searching for bargains to buy, I noticed that my Listings that were going to end within 24 hours weren't showing in their respective Categories.  That's when I called eBay to find out What's Up.  Seven calls and seven weeks later I am still waiting for an explanation.  Each call I had with eBay I had to explain that my listings weren't showing up unless there was a specific Key Word or ID search.  Each time eBay agreed to my assertion that the listings didn't show up when just browsing.  Each time they passed the information on to the Tech Department.   Since eBay doesn't provide any feedback to customers, I feel like I'm on an endless loop.

But on the 7th call I was told something different. speaking with a supervisor, I was told that automatic relisting for Buy it Now Listings don't retain time or date.   What????   With that statement I began investigating and uncovered some details that I never noticed before, or eBay made changes to their Search methodology.  For those unaware, a Buy it Now Listing lasts for 30 days and if not bought, the Listing automatically renews for another 30 days.  I started examining Categories.  For example:  I want to use the Shop By Category, looking at US Stamps Sheets, searching All Listings, with Time Ending Soonest.  I expect to see All US Stamps Sheets Listings sorted by Time Ending Soonest.   That's not the results you get.   What you get first is all the Auction Listings, 9 days worth.  Then Buy it Now Listings, but only those newly created.  What you don't get is But it Now Listings that were automatically relisted.  

What to do.  Talking with eBay I have the impression that it is what it is.  Take it or leave it.  That's not an option.  The problem is with Buy it Now.  Since eBay has the automatic relisting after 30 days and then the listing disappears when browsing, I am almost forced to end the listing before designated time and create a new listing that does show up when browsing.   The other issue is Auction vs Buy it Now when browsing and sorting Time Ending Soonest.  Let me provide an example:  Take the US Duck Stamp Category.  At this moment there are over 56k US Duck Stamp Listings.  Within that total is over 1.5k Auctions and over 55k Buy it Now Listings.  If you were to Browse that Category using Time Ending Soonest sort, You would have to page through 1.5k of Auctions before seeing any Buy it Now Listings.  You won't see The Buy it Now Listings that were automatically relisted.  Those listing will only appear if searched with Key Words.

I have no idea how many sales that have not been made because Prospective Buyers, that were looking for bargains, couldn't see my listings.    I am interested if anyone else has recognized this as an issue.  Check your listings as a Prospective Buyer would just looking for a bargain.  

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Where are My Listings and Who sees Them?

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply