cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SuperSafe Hinges?

Does anyone have experience with SuperSafe hinges (https://www.amosadvantage.com/scottonline/product.asp?part_no=SSHI&tab=stamp&category=HNG) offered by Amos?  Are they really peelable?  Do they compare at all with Dennison?

Thanks in advance.

jimbo

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

SuperSafe Hinges?

Hi Jimbo - I think at that price you could buy a package and let us know.Smiley Happy

Do not use on valuable stamps, do not over lick, do not press too hard. You know the old expression - a little dab 'll do ya.

I haven't used a hinge in 30 years and I guess the buyers of my old collections are soaking every page to get the stamps off.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

SuperSafe Hinges?

Roger,

I was (and still am) hoping someone could save me that exercise.  I will probably do it if no one has any experience to report.

jimbo

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

SuperSafe Hinges?

I've used the Supersafe hinges for years, about the only

reasonably priced ones I've seen lately.

I wet just the edge to attach the hinge, about 1/2 of the

short side,not much water and just a small dot on the

page side.If you have to remove it make sure to give it

plenty of time to dry.

A damp Q-tip works well, don't soak it.

Steve

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

SuperSafe Hinges?

Thanks, Steve.  That's the sort of input I was hoping for.  I'll have to give them a try.

jimbo

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

SuperSafe Hinges?

Jimbo,  There is nothing safe about them.  A couple years ago I tried every different kind of hinge I could find. I can't say if anyone was better than the other.

I'd bet most of them are made by the same company.  Lick less and hope for the best.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

SuperSafe Hinges?

All modern hinges are made by the same company in Germany. Dennison is the way to go or forget about hinges.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

SuperSafe Hinges?

There are only a limited number of Dennison's left.  Someday they will all be gone.  $!5-20 now.

What is the person who buys the last pack going to pay $100 + ?

Some people have been using 3M 801 tape and swear buy it. You have to cut them off a roll but they peel very easily and do not appear to have any negavtive affects except possibly on older very porous paper stamps.

Jimbo, did you ever try my trick with cutting oversize split backs into to make  top loaders?

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

SuperSafe Hinges?

Agreed. Alternatives needed. Two excellent ideas given. 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

SuperSafe Hinges?

Thanks everyone for the comments.  I think I'm still open to trying the SuperSafe hinges.  It sounds like it might be useful for making mounts movable which is part of my intent.

And, Mitchell, I do intend to try your suggested method of using half of a wide mount.  I do have a couple of appropriate mount packages, a cutter, and some pages.  What I don't yet have is the time to get the project started. 

I'm also still thinking how to approach the method.  My thoughts extend to both a mint and a used album with similar pages.  I have not yet decided how to deal with shade variants, etc. not found on Bill Steiner's pages.  Do I struggle to create new pages or do I just fake it by adding spots (or insert pages) for more stamps? 

Right now everything is accumulating in a simple penciled page album for the stuff through the first Elizabeth II issues and then in a large stockbook with black double-sided pages.  Mint and used are shown together.  The stamps are organized but sometimes it gets crowded. I do hope I get it done one of these days.  I need a 'Round tuit!"

jimbo

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

SuperSafe Hinges?

Jimbo,  As far a addoing new spaces for shades etc, you can cut and paste stamp frames to a page to add new spaces.

You can also cut your mounts to fully cover each stamps frame then you do not even have to make additional stamp frames.

That is what I have done on many pages and you can add one any time in the future and keep a uniformed look.

See this page of Belgium where I have done this:   http://mitch.seymourfamily.com/mward/collection/europe/belgium/b02a.jpg

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

SuperSafe Hinges?

I find that all the modern "hinges of steel" work just fine... To hold mounts to the page. 🙂

I also expect that the price of Dennison hinges will stabalize about the time they reach parity with the cost of mounts (about 10¢ each)...

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

SuperSafe Hinges?

Bill,  By turning large split backs into top loaders, I find that the cost of mounts is 3-5 cents.  That is of course if  you shop around to get the best bargain including  shipping.

I always use glue sticks to adhere my mounts to pages.  Repositioning is no problem as any residue is usually easily removed with an eraser.

Using "hinges of steel" will often times thin the page and the mounts flop around to much for my liking.

I'd like to meet someone who has mounted more stamps than I have and see what they think about the subject.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply