cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

September and Stamps Start with S!

Now's the time to harvest all those S's you've been saving:  Samoa and Senegal; Singles and Strips; San Martin and Saint Nick; Santiago and Singapore!

Now that we have 51 members let's share the S's.  Join the fun and show things that interest you.

jimbo

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

S is for Straits Settlements and Singapore

This registered letter entered the mail at the Raffles Hotel Post Office at 11:14 am and was in the Singapore postoffice for a transit mark at 12:30 pm. Raffles had completed the basic registration with a preprinted label over-printed by a Raffles Hotel stamp. The cover was franked with two 1918 10c ultramarine King George V (Scott 159). The next stop was London E.C. where it received a hooded registry CDS on February 2. Then on to New York City and entry into the US registry system on February 18. Next stop was Detroit on February 20.

The sender was apparently involved in Foreign Sales for the Dodge Brothers automobile company. They were still number 2 in U.S. auto sales in 1920' however, it was also the year that both brothers died and the beginning of the company's decline. This is how they used them in the 1920s -- really! (You will enjoy this link!)

jimbo

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

Today in Postal History

September 23, 1916

Victoria, Seychelles, to St. Croix, Switzerland
98 years ago today.

We discussed both the Palliard firm and St. Croix in the Today in Postal History for September 7 (scroll down). This will also do for S is for Seychelles, St. Croix, and Switzerland!

The cover went into the mail in Victoria, Seychelles. Here's a bit of a travelogue for modern day Seychelles.

The cover is franked with 1912 12c green and olive gray and 15c ultramarine King George V key plates (Scott 66 and 67). The 15c has been damaged somewhere along the line - it's missing its right side! There are three single rim Victoria CDS. Registration included a rectangular handstamp with a pencilled number '695' and the obligatory pencilled blue cross on the front.

The cover was opened for censorship. I believe that the censorship occurred in France en route to St. Croix. The censor stamp 'OUVERT |Par l'AUTORITÉ MILITAIRE' translates to 'Opened by Military Authority'. The '421' was the identifier for the censor.  There is also a seal(?) 'CONTROLE POSTAL MILITAIRE' which translates to 'Military Postal Inspection'.

jimbo

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

S is for Special Delivery.  In the US, that meant that (for a 10 cent fee, later increased several times), a mail item would be dispatched from the receiving post office directly by messenger to the recipient, without awaiting the next routine carrier delivery.

Typically, only one attempt at delivery would be made; if the recipient was not there or if the mail had to be forwarded, special delivery service would not be attempted again.  This cover is a scarce example of the item being redirected before a special delivery was attempt was made, and special delivery service was provided by the second office.

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

I can do an S!

Page 1

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

As most of my European collection has reached the 90's percentage of completion (major Scott numbers)
I have started to concentrate on Spain, which I consider one of the top three most difficult countries to collect of the world.
The other two are the US and Mexico.  I would feel very happy if I ever get to 95% of completion with Spain but only time will tell.
The other day I completed the first page of Airmails for Spain by adding the bottom set on the page below.  I think it makes for a very attractive page.

spainc01.jpg

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

Plenty of Ss around let's make the Ss the highest posts to dateSmiley Very Happy

South Africa air mails:-

FFC-Capetown-1932.jpg

or some beautiful St Helena, SG41 and 42

St-Helena-1884-94-SG41-42.jpg

or Sudan with a White Nile TPO:

Whote-Nile-TPO.jpg

Cheers
Peter -British Central Africa - Follow the logo for the Yellow Boxes
Message 7 of 27
latest reply

I thought there was an option to edit our posts but I no longer see it.  My last post should have read the high 90's percentage of completion as most are 98-99% complete for Western Europe through 1980 and Eastern Europe through 1960.  There is a whole lot of difference between 90 and 99%

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

Hi Mitch,

I have never found that option either although others here have mentioned it. Must be an eBay ghost Robot LOL

Cheers
Message 9 of 27
latest reply

See malolo's post for an example of editing.

Re: eUSC meeting Sep 19-21: "Postmarks and Auxiliary Markings"  
in reply to jimbo

‎09-20-2014 09:23 AM - edited ‎09-20-2014 09:24 AM

The window for editing isn't very long but I've used it several times.  I've also tried and been told that my editing was too late. 

jimbo

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

For an example of editing, see malolo's post:
Re: eUSC meeting Sep 19-21: "Postmarks and Auxiliary Markings" 
09-20-2014 09:23 AM - edited 09-20-2014 09:24 AM

You might try to edit by: click on the 'Quick Reply' button and then on 'Options' button to the left and then on 'Edit'.  The time for edit is limited and you may find yourself losting your post as the time clock runs out.  It's very frustrating.

jimbo

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

Another day of catching up!!
Today in Postal History

September 25, 1854

Quebec, Canada, to Montreal, Canada
160 years ago today.

S is for Steamboat

Quebec and Montreal  are pillars of the Province of Quebec. Both cities are located on the St. Lawrence River about 250 km apart.

The importance of the St. Lawrence River as a waterway led to this folded stampless letter being conveyed by a river steamboat. This led to the circular 'STEAMBOAT - LETTER | QUEBEC' postmark dated September 25, 1854. It also led to the script '3' on the upper right. This was to recognize the need to collect 3d due since the letter was sent without prepayment.

The addressee, Edmonstone, Allan, & Co. were a prominent business firm principally engaged in shipping. They were described, "by a credit-rating service as an 'old, safe and respectable House... one of the wealthiest concerns in the Province'". One of their enterprises was The Allan Line which provided Transatlantic service. The sender, Gillespies & Co., also appeared to be quite prominent in being represented on the boards of Quebec Bankers in the period.

A small cover with a lot of hidden history.

jimbo

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

The options button has been moved recently to the bottom left of the message. After the timeout the best you can do is delete and re-enter the message. 😞
Message 13 of 27
latest reply

I guess the obvious solution is to use the preview tab before hitting post Smiley Very Happy

Back to the Ss

Socked on the Nose from BCA

SONgroup.jpg

Cheers
Message 14 of 27
latest reply

S is for Sudan.

Cover postmarked 15 Sep 1956 at Omdurman sent to Portland, Oregon.

Sudan had not long been independent (Jan 1 1956).

It was formerly a condominium, under joint British and Egyptian rule since 1899.

Sudan_USA.jpg

Message 15 of 27
latest reply