cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scot copy

What Scott is protective of is not the numbering system but rather the price that accompanies a specific number. It does not take a lot of work to figure out that a stamp issued by country xxx will follow and precede stamps with adjacent numbers.THe hard part is collating the data from previous sales of a particular stamp, whether it be face value over post office counter,resale value over stamp dealers counter or price realized at auction If they list a stamp as being worth a thousand dollars,be rest assured that they think someone will pay that amount for it.if the value they quote is totally off-the-wall, they will quickly sully their reputation.Not to mention the faith of insurance companies which. Rely on those quotations to a degree.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Scot copy

iomoon

Interesting points. 

I mostly agree with your points.

Now then to me only (this is the way I look at it only, I do not expect any stamp collector, or even a non stamp collector to look at the prices (Catalog value) as I do)

To me, the catalog values in any Scott Catalog is just a guide, or a general value.

I find auction results to be a more current values for stamps.

DAVID THOMPSON

MSGT/USAF/RETIRED

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Scot copy

Hi Jim,

It's been a long time since I saw your name pop up. I must have been looking in all the wrong places.

I hope all is well, and that you are paying attention to the current Kilauea eruption. They had a close call last year when lava almost reached Pahoa, another mile and it would have been very serious. Every time I check to see what's happening in Hawaii, I think of your collections, etc. It was great all those years ago of Stamp Chat.

This week I could ask the retired editor of Scott catalogues his view on posting scans that can be found in Scott catalogues. He's a member of my local club having just moved into the area recently. Get it from the horses mouth, so to speak.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Scot copy

The means and methods as to how Scott determines the catalogue values for stamps is clearly and fully set out in the Introduction section of the catalogue under the title "Catalogue Value".

Message 4 of 4
latest reply