cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sc24 identification

Wanted to doudle check I have identified this cover correctly. Stamp is Sc24?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Sc24 identification

The one-cent stamp you have is not a "24", which is always perforated.  Your stamp is imperforate.  Its Scott # is "9", it is TYPE IV, and worth a minimal amount because the design is cut off at the left and also has a tear at the top extending into the design.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Sc24 identification

Would be nice to see the whole cover if possible?

This is not Scott Guide number 24

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Sc24 identification

Thank you both. This design always throws me even though I have a Scott's for reference and strudy guide.

Here is the overall view of the cover front and back as requested.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Sc24 identification

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Sc24 identification

old-boston—

Your stamp is definitely from plate 1 Late state, but it is difficult to pin down the exact plate position. It is a “B” relief, but doesn’t appear to have the customary guide dot at lower right.  That’s hard to see however because the cancel falls across that area.  If it doesn’t have a guide dot then that narrows the search down, because few B relief stamps lack the guide dot at lower right.

My best guess would have been that your stamp is position 30L1L, based partly on the appearance of the bottom of the stamp which we can see above it.  But known copies of 30L1L do not correspond to your stamp exactly. 

Billsey, are you out there lurking? Perhaps you have some ideas on this.

Below, my copy of position 20L1.

left pane-20L1L^.jpg

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Sc24 identification

Can't help much, I haven't tried plating the 1851 one cent. Other than saying it's a #9. 🙂 I like the cancel, Boston / October 14th / Paid is how I read it. Someone sure didn't want to spring for the good paper...
Message 7 of 7
latest reply