cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

And now the I's have it!

Now's the time for you all to get out your I is for . . .  Items.  Let's  have some more participants.  I know that you have interesting items.  Just do it!  And it's just as easy as sending an e-mail.

Join the fun!

jimbo

PS:  It was time someone else started this other than the stalwarts: Anne and Sheryll.

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

And now the I's have it!

Hi Jimbo, Anne and Sheryll,

Three razor cancel items:

Luzern to Cawnppore, India.

I bought this from an eBay seller about 7 years ago who lived about 25 miles from Cawnpore. It obviously had been in the locale for 80+ years.

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

And now the I's have it!

Next up:

Inland Registration: an English registered letter envelope uprated for Switzerland. It's interesting that few registered letters got receiving date stamps. I have not idea for that policy or why this got  it.

Message 3 of 30
latest reply

And now the I's have it!

Finally - Inconnu - "Unknown' label applied in Bern.

As you can see Finding someone during Christmas of 1914 was difficult.

Not sure how mail bags were handled or which direction they went. I haven't studied the battle front line to see which routes were open from London to Switzerland and Paris.

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

And now the I's have it!

Hi Everyone,

How about IDAHO - an unusual cover from Kellogg, Idaho to Harbin, Manchu Kuo?

This is a registered FAM14 first flight cover using a Scott UC3 postal stationery airmail envelope.  From Kellogg, IDAHO, it traveled to Portland, Oregon and on to San Francisco to catch the flight.  It arrived in Hong Kong, but, unfortunately, there is no arrival cancel for Harbin.

Rich
Message 5 of 30
latest reply

And now the I's have it!

IMG_20140715_0001.jpg

IMG_20140715_0002.jpg

Italy.

I have a collection of the definitive issue "Italy at work" (Italia lavore).

From this is here a letter to a blind person written in braille. I don,t know it I have turned the letter upside down or not. :O) Can anyone read it.

The rate is very low and is a scarce type of sending.

IMG_20140715_0003.jpg

IMG_20140715_0004.jpg

UPU postal identity card from 1955.

IMG_20140715_0005.jpg

Pneumatic cover sent locally in Neaple from 1955.

IMG_20140715_0006.jpg

Complete newspaper sent as printed matter 1950.

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

And now the I's have it!

I is for ink records.  De La Rue kept a record of the inks used for each stamp they printed.  Below is their ink record for the 1904 five penny Arms of Jamaica stamp.  It shows that the vignette was printed in "double fig black" and the frame was printed in "cadmium yellow".  Dummy stamps were affixed to the record to show the approximate colors.

5d ink record.jpg

The actual stamp appears below:

5d arms stamp.jpg

Use of this stamp on cover shows that I is also for Isthmian Canal Commission.  The cover below dated December 19, 1905 was sent from Myrtle Bank, Jamaica to Massachussetts and is franked with a 5 penny Arms pair plus a 2½ penny single to pay five times the half-ounce rate.  The sender, W.J. Karmer, was employed by the Isthmian Canal Commission to recruit laborers for construction of the Panama Canal.  He experimented with laborers from various West Indies islands before determining that those from Barbados were the most efficient (his words).  He probably sent the cover to his wife while staying at the Myrtle Bank Hotel recruiting Jamaican laborers.  The franking implies that the cover contained either a long multi page letter or photos.

5d on cover.jpg

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

And now the I's have it!

I is for Italy.  In 1933 GenItalo Balbo led a squadron of 20 sea planes on a Trans-Atlantic flight from Rome to Chicago USA..  2 issues (Scott C48 and C49) were made to commemorate the flight. Each consisted of an attached registered air express label (at left), a stamp of King Emmanuel (center) and a second postage stamp at right either bearing an allegory of flight (C49), or depiction of the Roman Colosseum and the Chicago skyline (C49). An overprint of one of the 20 pilots names was applied to the Air express label of each strip.   Making  20 different types of each stamp for a total of 40.  Collecting all of them can be quite a challenge as they are rather scarce.
I won the C49 at an auction last week, it was one of the very few Italian stamps that I was still missing.  I think it is quite a special issue and am very happy to have scratched it off the list.

c48.jpgc49.jpg

Message 8 of 30
latest reply

And now the I's have it!

I is for India.

IMG_20140715_0011.jpg

Lugage label for a heavy parcel sent to Australia 1928.

IMG_20140715_0012.jpg

First this was a nice find - a double overprint - but as my specialized India catalog say: "Other overprint and errors than mentioned is of clandestine origin".

You can't allway win. 😞

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

And now the I's have it!

I is for Iceland.

IMG_20140715_0007.jpg

Lugage label from Keflavik Airport to USA 1949.

IMG_20140715_0008.jpg

Registered Air Mail cover from Siglufjördur to USA 1952. The US mail would be sure to "collect 10 cents" - 3 cancels!

IMG_20140715_0009.jpg

Cover from Iceland to Denmark which, as it was damaged during transport, was placed in a plastic envelope from the Danish mail with the insciption in Danish and French: "In here a sending, which unfortunately was damaged during transport".

This kind of envelope is in Denmark nicknamed an "ambulance". O)

IMG_20140715_0010.jpg

Iceland have more time had inflation.

This part of a packetcard show how one have to use high value stamps as normal stamps due to inflation.

Later Iceland revalued it's currency so 100 IKr. = 1IKr.

Message 10 of 30
latest reply

And now the I's have it!

I for India.

First 3 oops.

IMG_20140716_0001.jpg

Dry print.

IMG_20140716_0002.jpg

Another dry print.

IMG_20140716_0003.jpg

And last - another partly dry print.

Then to something different.

IMG_20140716_0004.jpg

Telegram form 1925 - front.

IMG_20140716_0005.jpg

Back.

IMG_20140716_0006.jpg

Telegram cover 1932.

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

And now the I's have it!

I for Ireland.

Folded free frank letter from Dublin Castle 1806.

Can anyone read the name at bottom left?

IMG_20140716_0007.jpg

IMG_20140716_0008.jpg

Seal on back.

Dublin Castle

Dublin Castle was until 1922 the seat of United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland rule in Ireland, and is now a major Irish government complex. Most of it dates from the 18th century, though a castle has stood on the site since the days of King John, the first Lord of Ireland. The Castle served as the seat of English, then later British government of Ireland under the Lordship of Ireland, the Kingdom of Ireland, and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. After the signing of the Anglo-Irish Treaty in December 1921, the complex was ceremonially handed over to the newly formed Provisional Government of Southern Ireland.

(Wikipedia)

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

And now the I's have it!

Knuden,

The name looks to me like Fru P Hunt.  The Fru doesn't make much sense to me but the script appears to match other letters in the address.  The writer uses two versions of 'r' and also an open 'u'.

jimbo just my ½¢

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

And now the I's have it!

Hello Jimbo

I think the first word is a badly written "Free" and if the rest is as badly written as the first, it could look like "Free Frank."

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

And now the I's have it!

I read it as "Free P Hunt".

Message 15 of 30
latest reply