cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Group Management

Hello Everyone,

It is some time since I logged into the group and was disappointed in the lack of activity/discussion in the period I was away. In most organisations there is a timescale where new/old "officials" are voted in /out. I would be interested to know if members think that new people might re-generate the group, and if so how best to achieve this?

Mick

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Group Management

Mick,

Naturally, my opinion is that the inactivity is not a result of management or mismanagement. A change in leadership will not accomplish anything one way or another.

Fair weather has notoriously seen a lack of group activity and colder weather seems to bring people indoors and group posts increase. However, IMO, a vast majority of past postings have covered so very much that there is little to question or discuss beyond the merits or demerits of a singular listing at a time.

There is opportunity for narrative by Floyd, as an example, to tell all of us that did not attend the Dresden meeting more about it but at the same time he is not under any obligation to do so and if he did, his narrative might be 50 words, or so, or encompass thousands of words....where to begin and to what depth an explanation ?

I might ask why you, yourself, have been so long absent ? Other more pressing matters ? Periodically we all forget that this is a hobby. Family, jobs and other personal matters are all more important than this interest.

Like you, and others, I am sure, I long to read new questions and opinions from many members but so far, it has not happened. Some negative comments in the past have also contributed to the lack of information recently. "Once bit, twice wary"

Lastly, it has been discussed in the past that the active membership is minimal at best. My opinion is that there are less than two dozen of us and I know that there is a lot of personal discussion outside of the group which is another factor in lack of group postings. Most of our membership have joined to get answers to a particular question of two or have been novices trying to learn enough to make wise purchase decisions and thereby get more involved in collecting. They have a long way to go before they are ready to offer opinions or even to know what questions to ask.

There is a popular saying that 50 is the new 30, referring to age. My question to you is whether $99.00 is the new $9.99 ? I have lost count of how many sets have been listed at what are outrageous prices, in my opinion, over the past several months.....and some even selling at ridiculous prices.....enough so that I would be willing to sell many of my sets at the second highest bid without a moment's hesitation if there were some way of doing so. What is your opinion ?

Clay Neubert

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Group Management

Clay, The Dresden meeting of CCI was the best convention yet. And that covers 26 years of con ventions. Loads of sets, great museums, fantastic chess fair and very good chess auction.Large attendance and great opportunity to renew old friendshi[ps and make new chess collecting friends.  Sorry you mised it. Next International Convention will be in 2012 in New York.l Hope you will attend. More information will follow in The Chess COllector and in CCI_US.  Floyd

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Group Management

Hello Clay,

I did not intend to suggest that the group was mis-managed,simply to opine that new people often bring new impetus. Having thought about it,though, I think you are probably correct. There are certainly very few active "lookers" and even fewer "posters". Perhaps it will change over time.

As far as I am concerned 60 is the new 30! and in Summer collecting takes a bit of a back seat. I do however look at eBay regularly. My issue is not strictly with pricing but with the continual disappearance of interesting items to "back door" BIN's. There may be only a couple of items per month that I get excited about and to see a 7 or 9 day auction item disappearing after a few hours is more than irritating.

Mick

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Group Management

Floyd,

I was very, very interested in the Dresden meeting and almost attended but many personal issues arose at the last minute. Drats ! I am really looking forward to reading all about it and seeing whatever pictures in the next CCI newsletters from Jim and Duncan both ! You can begin to plan on seeing me in NYC next time around. Is there any discount in reserving a spot this far ahead ? LOL

Mick,

I understand what you mean about offerings on eBay, 100%. Of course, conversely a majority of my buying days are over it seems for both this reason and to be blunt, the end prices have gotten too high in too many instances IMO but that is just me.

On a positive note, though, I am busy gathering parts, for lack of any other explanation, to do several of my own OOAK sets and others. Many different parts are not readily available and a person has to remain patient to be able to find just the right part for the right position.

Clay Neubert

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Group Management

I believe the lack of the attention to the Group is a global tendence for the many of the eBay Groups... On the other hand many people on eBay just do not know that Groups exist at all, because it is too many other things to go through...

And as well the "main door" for the newcommers is very narrow now...

Long ago the link "Site-Map" was located at top of the eBay page and appeared with big letters, well seen by the users, now it is hidden "below the waterline" (if not to say "behind the toilets") therefor people do not find it...

And even if people enter "Site-Map" they should yet enter "Groups" and then after all to find Chess group and get registered with it... Not the closest way!

It would be worth to advertise the group and to invite chess-people to join. Then it will be more active group

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Group Management

As I have been forced to retire as a collector by a number of unfortunate circumstances, I would like to resign as a Moderator of this group as well.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Group Management

Kristjan,

I am sure that I also speak for Robert when I say that we will reluctantly accept your resignation.

Please accept my personal, and the group's, gratitude for your past contibutions. I believe that you will be sorely missed and I also wish to extend the best wishes of everyone for your future endeavors, personal and professional

Stay in touch, as you can, so that we all know that you are doing well.

Clay Neubert, Co-Leader

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Group Management

Thanks for kind words, Norbert.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Group Management

Sorry to see you go, hope all goes well for you in the future.

. . .

If you go with the flow you'll either get washed out to sea or be dammed.
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Group Management

Kristjan (dancing _with_volves),

Thought I'd come out of semi (ebay) retirement, peek, and give my two cents here.

As with Duncan d-baron and Clay Noybear (as well as - I am sure - a number of others who may be pretty busy themselves these days.... or perhaps asleep at the wheel....)... I, too, wish you well. Good luck in the future - and, if by chance, I don't hear from you in any chess or other venue, I wish you a good life.

John, Vermont (extremely busy these days, and about to change my own home "venue").
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Group Management

John, We mised you. Be sure to give me your new "address" for future CCI mailings.  Convention in NYC in 2014. Floyd

Message 12 of 12
latest reply