Estimated Shipping Cost: $20.53
Tracking #: 390884064940
Orig Wt: 23.0; Orig Dims: 28.0x15.0x8.0 in;
Base rate: $23.85; Resi: $3.00; Fuel: $1.34; Disc: -$7.66;

Actual Shipping Cost: $34.44
Bill Wt: 23.0; Bill Dims: 28.0x15.0x8.0 in;
Base rate: $17.57; Resi: $3.00; Fuel: $2.25; DAS: $4.00; Disc: $5.38;

Tell me what $17.57 + $3 + $2.25 + $4 - $5.38 EQUALS?????

That would be $21.44. Yet customer service defends to the death that it EQUALS $34.44

And don't tell me that its because of the weight or box dimensions. The estimated and billed are the exact same!

And there is no way to get my account credited for the $13 error at all. In no way, shape, or form!

Then I get a message that customer service will send a dispute to FedEx. Its not FedEx! I've had double digit errors like this 2 other times, both times "disputes" were sent and both times NOTHING happened. No credits. Just eat the errors. 

Now other sellers are going to say: Don't use the eBay system for printing shipping labels. OK - but that doesn't change the errors to the tune now of almost $50. 

???????????????????

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

wrong FedEx Billing

@chadl285 wrote:

That would be $21.44. Yet customer service defends to the death that it EQUALS $34.44

And don't tell me that its because of the weight or box dimensions. The estimated and billed are the exact same!

@chadl285 

Customer service is probably right.  You are being assessed a $13 packaging surcharge ... it is not for weight (a $24 surcharge) or box dimensions (a $15 surcharge) .  The packaging surcharge occurs because your packaging does not meet FedEx's standards - both FedEx and UPS have much, much, much stricter packaging standards than the USPS.   In the most basic FedEx terms, it means you did not ship in a well-sealed, plain, rectangular, cardboard box <<< the best packaging to ensure that you don't get this surcharge.

Odd non-stackable shapes, sealing with duct tape, covering with mylar plastic, packaging holes, soft packing material (e.g., large bubble mailers), etc can cause this surcharge to be levied.

If you want details, look on page 115 of the 2020 FedEx Service Guide.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

wrong FedEx Billing

Just looking real closely at a few more billings. Here is 1 that matches, even though FedEx can't seem to weigh packages properly.. and actually, almost all the billings are accurate except the 1st one. This seems to happen EVERY SINGLE MONTH!!

Estimated Shipping Cost: $21.45
Tracking #: 391012080703
Orig Wt: 5.0; Orig Dims: 17.0x13.0x13.0 in;
Base rate: $30.08; Resi: $3.00; Fuel: $1.40; Disc: -$13.03;
Actual Shipping Cost: $21.45
Tracking #: 391012080703
Bill Wt: 18.0; Bill Dims: 17.0x13.0x13.0 in;
Base rate: $25.30; Resi: $3.00; Fuel: $1.40; Disc: $8.25;

Any ideas?? Why was the 1st shipment $13 more than the estimate? $13 exactly?
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

wrong FedEx Billing

@chadl285 wrote:

Actual Shipping Cost: $34.44
Bill Wt: 23.0; Bill Dims: 28.0x15.0x8.0 in;
Base rate: $17.57; Resi: $3.00; Fuel: $2.25; DAS: $4.00; Disc: $5.38;

Tell me what $17.57 + $3 + $2.25 + $4 - $5.38 EQUALS?????

???????????????????

That's a FedEx surcharge, exactly $13: http://fedex.com/en-us/shipping/current-rates/surcharges

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

wrong FedEx Billing

@chadl285 wrote:

@chadl285 

Customer service is probably right.  You are being assessed a $13 packaging surcharge ... it is not for weight (a $24 surcharge) or box dimensions (a $15 surcharge) .  The packaging surcharge occurs because your packaging does not meet FedEx's standards - both FedEx and UPS have much, much, much stricter packaging standards than the USPS.   In the most basic FedEx terms, it means you did not ship in a well-sealed, plain, rectangular, cardboard box <<< the best packaging to ensure that you don't get this surcharge.

Odd non-stackable shapes, sealing with duct tape, covering with mylar plastic, packaging holes, soft packing material (e.g., large bubble mailers), etc can cause this surcharge to be levied.

If you want details, look on page 115 of the 2020 FedEx Service Guide.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

wrong FedEx Billing

Thanks for the reply. I haven't looked through the FedEx Service guide in awhile and yes, there is a $13 surcharge for extra handling. It may have been this package that had a very slight bulge on the end because I couldn't find a box that was 1" larger. So that makes sense. 

What doesn't make sense is the billing. Instead of it being so mysterious, they need to add another line item stating the extra $13 ! Instead we have to hunt and guess where the extra charge was from. 

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

wrong FedEx Billing

This is exactly what happened to me, FedEx overcharged me and Ebay simply ignore my complaint. 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

wrong FedEx Billing

ebay says fedex overcharged but they are the thieves they overcharged and stole it

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

wrong FedEx Billing

Now they are charges a few extra pennies here extra there with there managed payments I guess its just math errors? Lol funny errors are all in their favor. I feel sorry for any sellers who dont know there math EBay is now on the skim since the cant use fed ex excuse

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

wrong FedEx Billing

Because ebay blames  their thefts on fedex now they are skimming to if you dont know your math

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

wrong FedEx Billing

All my boxes was perfect and weighed perfect and i was told by ebay fedex overcharged me ebay is run by thieves who points fingers at others. Now they are trying to skim with managed payments math error in their favor hope you know your math or they will get you this way too

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

wrong FedEx Billing

I shipped my first FedEx package 10 days ago And I understood I would be billed by eBay on my monthly statement which I see and it’s the correct amount quoted.  Now my question is that a final bill? Or could they bill eBay more in the next statement if they disagree with what eBay estimated? 
thanks! 

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

wrong FedEx Billing

I've had identical items in identical packages sent to different addresses. Only for Some charges add up correctly, but for others they do not. 

Sorry, but your explanation does not work!!

In my case, it started happening in July, right after they paid damaged claim on one item. Hmmmm

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

wrong FedEx Billing

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply