cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where can I find a 17x12x16 size box to ship something

Hi guys, I want to sell something but all the boxes are either too big or too small does any one know where I can get something for a 17 long, 12 wide and 16 inch tall item?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

In get all sizes of boxes behind retail stores in their recycle dumpsters....I have not purchased a box in 15 years. Lots of great packing materials there too... auto body shops are the best for packing and bubble wrap supplies. You would be amazed how much they throw away and are glad to give it to me.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Boxes trashed everywhere these days....thanks to Amazon among other companies.

Just make sure no words like alcohol or wine are labeled outside of box...certain restrictions for ,ailing those boxes.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

@pcobra93 wrote:

In get all sizes of boxes behind retail stores in their recycle dumpsters....I have not purchased a box in 15 years. Lots of great packing materials there too... auto body shops are the best for packing and bubble wrap supplies. You would be amazed how much they throw away and are glad to give it to me.

Same here. I have several places where I get all different size boxes for free. All are broken down, clean and stacked in the recycle dumpsters. 

Box sizer/reducer helps in some cases and I make the boxes of sizes that I don't have on hand. I use a cardboard perforator to make custom size boxes.

Just finding an exact size box is not easy. Once you learn how to make them, it becomes a breeze.

Posting ID
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Get something 20x20x# and cut it down to the height you need.

Make sure the cost of shipping is worth it for the value of the item:

https://www.ebay.com/shp/Calculator

You're going to hit dimensional weight rates.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

If you are in a hurry and need the box urgently, Lowes and Home Depot sell large and medium size shipping boxes that would fit your item (I'd go with the large so you have some extra space for padding your item.) You might be able to cut it down to fit better and save money. Not a cheap option, and will be a bit big, but a good choice if the need for the box is urgent.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Have you tried Lowes, Home Depo, Staples or Office Max?  As suggested you can cut a box down if you are able.

stephenmorgan_0-1698469344106.png

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

ya i work at a body shop. i always have enough bubble wrap and boxes. we throw so much good stuff away.

almost all the car parts i sell are from our garbage.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Thanks I wasn't sure if you could use moving boxes to ship but if you can that will work.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@backdrop001 wrote:

Thanks I wasn't sure if you could use moving boxes to ship but if you can that will work.

Check the edge crush test on the bottom to see if it's good enough for shipping @backdrop001 and do not get anything that has handles.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Thanks it should be fine because its already in a retail box just didn't want to send it like that.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

In that case, cover and secure the handle holes.

GLORIOUS!

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

18x12x16 will keep you in the 2 cubic foot size range, and may be easier to come close to if sourcing to cut down.

18x12x16 readily available for purchase, but difficult to find in quantities of "1".

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

I have used them before to double box something.  I cut them down to the smallest I need to have a good buffer around the inside box. I cut them down because the shipping price gets very high after a cubic foot. If they have the handle pop outs I tape across the inside and outside of the handle. 

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

u-haul has a medium box for $1.85 that could easily be cut folded to meet the size 

Box dimensions: 18 1/8” x 18” x 16” 

Message 15 of 16
latest reply