cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shipping

Hello, im just wondering about shipping, I measure and weigh the box with the item and post it and then when its paid for it seems like im loosing still in the shipping department, If I sell an item for .99cents and it costs 18.00 to ship am I not going to get that 18.00 back that I spent or am I doing this all wrong. I have not come close to getting the amount of money that it shows that I have sold and Im just wondering where all this money is at. thank you for any help you may have.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

shipping

@dayz_41 

Buyer would pay  $18.99 + sales tax based on their location.

eBay would  send the sales tax paid to the buyer's state.

eBay would take their FVF %age ( many categories 13.25%)

FVF is based on full buyer payment, but for this example to simplify, forget the sales tax.

$18.99 fees----------- $2.52 + $0.40............. $2.92

$18.99

-$2.92

$16.07

From that $16.07 you subtract your actual shipping cost.

If you use eBay labels the amount of that label would be subtracted from that $16.07 to be in your "payout".

Whatever is left is your profit.  ( minus cost of packaging, and "cost of goods")

there is basically no profit in something sold for $0.99 unless there is a buyer paid overcharge for shipping.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

shipping

so are you saying im eating the whole cost of shipping on this type of item even if its an item that cost 25.00 if it costed me 12.99 do I get any of that back?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

shipping

The eBay fee besides .30 or .40...the other fee is sale of item + shipping...so you do get charged with shipping and item of what it went for.

As an example : So if item is .99 + Shipping $100.00...the eBay fee is $100.99 of this total.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

shipping

@dayz_41 

The buyer pays the amount that you have charged for shipping -- eBay sends that amount to you, and you use that money to pay for the shipping.

HOWEVER!!!

Every eBay selling transaction includes a Final Value Fee (depending upon which classification the item was listed) ,which is based upon the sales price of the item plus any state sales tax, plus a 30 cents eBay transaction fee, plus the shipping charges.

So your 99 cents sale will very likely leave you with a handful of pennies -- if you're lucky.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

shipping

@dayz_41 wrote:

so are you saying im eating the whole cost of shipping on this type of item even if its an item that cost 25.00 if it costed me 12.99 do I get any of that back?

If your shipping cost is the same as what the buyer paid you then you lose because you have to pay the eBay seller fees.

The only way that you do not lose is if the buyer pays you enough to cover the cost of shipping, and the eBay fees.

$1 + $1     -$3............  you lose

$1 + $3   -$2 .......  you make something 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply