cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shipping

When I sell an item that I am offering free shipping on, Can I choose whatever shipping service that I want to get the item to the customer? 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

shipping

@buzzbeebargains  Yes, you can ship the package any way you want.  I've done that switching from USPS to FedEx ground on a rare occcasion that my "packed" weight or size grossly exceeded the USPS limits for size or weight.  If you actually change carriers you may want to convey that to the Buyer, I had one that the Buyer really got ticked at me because the delivery of the selected carrier in there area was not predictable (time wise) nor dependable.

You probably know this then too, the critical thing that eBay looks at is does the Seller upload tracking within their Handling time frame and get the carrier acceptence scane?

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

shipping

Whether the shipping is free or not, when you set up the listing you have to at least show one of the generic terms that eBay uses to describe the speed of the shipping service: economy (slowest), standard, or expedited.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

shipping

@buzzbeebargains  First, just so you understand, FREE SHIPPING means YOU pay the shipping and not the Buyer ... it does not mean there is a FREE SHIPPING service that eBay foots the bill for ... don't laugh, some people think there is.

When you create a listing you HAVE to enter the weight, dimensions and the shipping method that the package will be shipped to the Buyer with ... then if you check the box for Frre Shipping it means YOU will cover the cost of that method, whatever it is.  You can change the shipping method after the order but you have to cover the cost of the shipping in the item price so you will need to know how much it will cost to ship anyway.

I rarely use Free Shipping and suggest people use Calculated and have the Buyer pay for the shipping because the amount will vary depedning on the Zone it is shipped to in relation to your home address.

Regards,
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

shipping

@mr_lincoln @nobody*s_perfect I understand the whole free shipping concept. What I wanted to find out is if I am obligated to use only expedited service or if I can choose any shipping carrier that I would like to use?

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

shipping

@buzzbeebargains  Yes, you can ship the package any way you want.  I've done that switching from USPS to FedEx ground on a rare occcasion that my "packed" weight or size grossly exceeded the USPS limits for size or weight.  If you actually change carriers you may want to convey that to the Buyer, I had one that the Buyer really got ticked at me because the delivery of the selected carrier in there area was not predictable (time wise) nor dependable.

You probably know this then too, the critical thing that eBay looks at is does the Seller upload tracking within their Handling time frame and get the carrier acceptence scane?

Regards,
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

shipping

@buzzbeebargains wrote:
... if I am obligated to use only expedited service or if I can choose any shipping carrier that I would like to use?

Hmm, I said, "when you set up the listing you have to at least show one of the generic terms that eBay uses to describe the speed of the shipping service: economy (slowest), standard, or expedited."

You can choose any carrier and any service offered by that carrier, as long as you use a service that is at least equal to the service level specified in the listing (economy, standard, or expedited).  

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

shipping

I would be specific about the methods of shipment.

I only use First Class for packages under a pound.

Over a pound, I use Priority.

Large packages, like bicycle wheels, I specify UPS Ground.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply