cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shipping boxes larger than Priority mail

I am shipping something too large to fit in the largest Priority Mail box so I am

using a plain box  Parcel select ground, or standard shipping.  Ebay refers to

"envelopes or packages" when I calculate the shipping and I see no mention

of boxes anywhere other than Priority shipping.  Does "package" also mean

"box" and can I use the Ebay calculation rates to apply to boxes too?  Thanks

whoever can clarify this.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Yes, package includes box

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Yes, package includes box

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Wonderful!  Thanks for the speedy reply

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@miggie2010 wrote:

I am shipping something too large to fit in the largest Priority Mail box so I am

using a plain box  Parcel select ground ....

If the length-plus-girth of that box is not over 108 inches, you can use it to ship via Priority Mail.

Yes, package = box.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Clarify a couple things.

1.  What  does your listing state as to what shipping service  you will use i.e.  USPS Priority Mail  or USPS Retail Ground?  You can upgrade your shipping service but you can't automatically down grade the service - unless the buyer confims the will accept it in writing via eBay messages

2.  What are the outside dimensions of the box you plan to use?  If it is 1728 cu.in.(1 cu.ft.) or  less you can ship Priority without is issue .  If it exceeds 1728 inches you may incure a dimensional surcharge depending on where you are shipping to.

Here are the USPS guidelines you need to consider.

a.  "Size & Weight Determine Price. Packages must not weigh more than 70 lbs. In most cases, packages may not be more than 108 inches in total length and girth. (130 inches for USPS Retail Ground®.)"

b. "If you are shipping a package using Priority Mail (excluding flat rate envelopes and boxes) to a destination zip that falls into USPS zones 5 - 9, then you may be subject to the USPS Dimensional Weight. This surcharge applies to any package greater than 1 cubic foot (1,728 cubic inches) in length * width * height."

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Priority Mail doesn't necessarily need to go in a PO-provided Priority box. So long as you abide by the Priority rules for shipping and purchase the correct Priority postage, you're good to go.

I also strongly suggest slapping on a couple (or three) Priority stickers on your package if you use a non-PM box. Just because people who work at the PO are human beings too, and may not actually read the postage label. Don't want your package tossed in a wrong sorting and possibly getting delayed for such a reason. 😊

@multimedea_media

Good point.  Would add one thing about the stickers 1.) you can get them from USPS.com Shipping Supplies link, free of  charge and shipping 2.) your local PO can apply Priority Mail labels and/or tape to the non priority ID package

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 7 of 7
latest reply