cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shipping adjustment from UPS

eBay sent me an email that UPS was assigning additional shipping charges due to my package being overweight. When I dropped my package off at a UPS store, they gave me a receipt showing that I had indeed purchased all needed shipping for the weight. UPS said I need to co-ordinate with eBay on getting a refund. How do I do this?

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I just experienced this for the first time, it is a SCAM by UPS and E-Bay seems to willingly participate.  

First, I am an engineer.  I precisely measure things all day long, every day, for the past 30 years.

I shipped a metal sign via UPS as a 29x19x3 box.  The actual packaging was 29.375" x 18.5" x 3.25" (I have 20 more of this same box at home).  Per UPS's policy, if the package is X.0 to X.499, you round down.  X.5-X.999, you round up.  So the entered dimensions on E-Bay should have been 29x19x3.

So UPS delivered the package and then TWO WEEKS after the package had been delivered, I get a notice of a UPS shipping adjust.  It states my package is 30x18x4 and instead of weighing 4 pounds, is now 13 pounds because of dimensional weight, which doubled the cost of the label.   They did the exact opposite with every dimension, than what their rule states!

And of course, the person who received the item TWO WEEKS ago, no longer has the box.  There is no easy way to dispute this with E-Bay.  And even if I did, it will just be denied, because my only proof is to show them a different box other than the one actually used to ship.  I can't produce the original box with label, which I am told I will have to provide to UPS as proof.

This is all a SCAM.  UPS is such a crappy company after changes over the past several years, that I hope they go bankrupt and close.  Boo on E-Bay for just rolling over to them!

I only offered UPS shipping for my buyer, because with correct dimensions, the cost was about half of USPS, so I was trying to help them out and added it even though I don't normally use it.  The actuality is that because UPS is incompetent, the price was the same as USPS and I just had to eat the additional amount.

This will be the last time I offer UPS shipping for any reason.  I spent about $10,000 last year in postage, and UPS has just guaranteed they will get ZERO dollars of any future postage purchases by me.  This was their chance to get their foot in the door, and they blew it with this whole SCAM.  And if I buy something and have a choice, I certainly won't be selecting UPS to ship me a package either.

UPS is either completely incompetent to take measurements, at best, or outright crooks at worst!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 21 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

I don't use UPS but I would think that the process with UPS is the same as with USPS. USPS charges whoever was used to print the label. In your case, it would be ebay. SO theoretically, if your package was overweight, UPS charged ebay and ebay charged you. In ebay's email, wasn't there a link or some reference as to how to challenge the extra charge. I buy shipping labels via pirateship, when I get such a charge (they are charged by the USPS and they deduct the amount from my balance), they provide a link where I can challenge the decision. With pirateship, there is no option  to add images. So I upload whatever documentation I have to my personal site and include a link. If there is no link in ebay's email, you should visit the UPS store where you dropped off your package and demand the resolution. Hopefully you get a better advice from someone who actually uses UPS.

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

I guess you used an eBay shipping label.

One would think if you are stopping at a UPS Store just mail the item through UPS having UPS charge you for shipping.

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

@bukbuk1 wrote:

eBay sent me an email that UPS was assigning additional shipping charges due to my package being overweight. When I dropped my package off at a UPS store, they gave me a receipt showing that I had indeed purchased all needed shipping for the weight. UPS said I need to co-ordinate with eBay on getting a refund. How do I do this?

Hi @bukbuk1 . To dispute a cost adjustment for a UPS or FedEx label purchased through eBay, the only current process is to contact eBay customer service and ask them to file the dispute.

You can use the chat option on the left side of this page (type 'agent' in the chat box):

https://www.ebay.com/help/contact_us?id=4002&st=10

Or you can send a DM to one of eBay's social CS teams: ebayforbusiness on facebook, ebayforsellers on insta, askebay on X

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 32
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

I guess you used an eBay shipping label.

One would think if you are stopping at a UPS Store just mail the item through UPS having UPS charge you for shipping.

Just an FYI...the cost difference between ebay/pirateship/shipstation etc for UPS and the UPS store is staggering.........I have a regular customer in Australia...uses 3 Day Worldwide Saver...costs 58.00 or so.....

IF I took the same envelope to UPS Store and bought the label there, 187.00 (list 234.00)

Same envelope (bubble mailer) same service.....

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

"they gave me a receipt showing that I had indeed purchased all needed shipping for the weight."

My UPS store only gives a receipt as proof they got the package, nothing about the pricing. 

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

I use USPS only....so that I have no adjustment shipping surprises. The thing about surprises such as getting overcharged creates more work for the seller. Have to do additional footwork to get refunded and so on.

I just want my item shipped and not to worry about surprises. 

One has to wonder since this seller now wants a refund....is it "easy" and "quick".

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

They gave a receipt showing the actual shipping weight. That was the contested item, as UPS contacted eBay for additional charges. They initially stated that the label I had used was not sufficient to cover the weight, and added additional charges. There is no link providing a way to contest it. I went to the UPS store, who gave me a 1 800 number to call. After a half hour or so of being passed around, somebody told me I would have to contact eBay and have them co-ordinate a refund or cancellation of the additional charges. Nothing online helped, so I sent them a snail mail request. Who knows, I might actually hear back in a month or so.

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

That's why I sometimes use UPS over USPS.

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

I don't see the chat option, but you are right. That is the only way to resolve it. Which department at customer service? Well, that might take a while to find. Not on facebook, x, etc.

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

UPS  gave a receipt showing the actual shipping weight. That was the contested item, as UPS contacted eBay for additional charges. They initially stated that the label I had used was not sufficient to cover the weight, and added additional charges. There is no link providing a way to contest it. I went to the UPS store, who gave me a 1 800 number to call. After a half hour or so of being passed around, somebody told me I would have to contact eBay and have them co-ordinate a refund or cancellation of the additional charges. Nothing online helped, so I sent them a snail mail request. Who knows, I might actually hear back in a month or so.

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

"They gave a receipt showing the actual shipping weight."

I believe it just shows the weight information you provided when you bought the label.   Did you actually see them measure and weight the package?   That would be a time-consuming process.   If they did that with all packages they'd have to hire more staff and charge more.  It's done later in the shipping process by computer.  Whenever I drop off at UPS the counter people barely have time to make eye contact.  It's like a 5 second process.  They scan the label and a receipt is provided based on information scanned from the label.  

USPS is the same.  Their system doesn't catch weight errors from computer bought labels until later in the shipping process.  

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

UPS has a similar system to that of the USPS.

Automated Package Verification Program for Domestic Packages (usps.com)

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

@toysaver wrote:

USPS is the same.  Their system doesn't catch weight errors from computer bought labels until later in the shipping process.  

That's not accurate. I have my items scanned as "accepted" at the post office. They put the item on the scale, scan the bar code and I receive a receipt showing the destination zip, weight, acceptance date and tracking number. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

They didn't measure, but I dropped it on their scale and they printed a receipt. Some times it lists the weight at 0 lb. 0 oz..

Message 15 of 32
latest reply