cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

getting hit by usps for extra shipping charges

after shipping an average of over 30 packages a day with usps i am now getting hit with up charges in huge numbers.  one odd thing is some of the upcharges claimed  has to do with package size but when i go back and print the same lable using the size the post office claims the cost of the lable doesnt change.  in one case i was charged an extra $36.04.  when i printed the lable originally the lable was $9.46.  when i tried printing the same lable with the post office dimensions the price was still $9.46.   so what is happening there?  3 different lables that happened. 

many of the others seem to be a sudden discrepancy of 2 ounces between my scale and theirs. 

in the past this has been a once a year thing if even thaat much.  i just had 8  for the past month and a half

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

one odd thing is some of the upcharges claimed  has to do with package size but when i go back and print the same lable using the size the post office claims the cost of the lable doesnt change.  in one case i was charged an extra $36.04.  when i printed the lable originally the lable was $9.46

That does sound like an oversized parcel problem.  If you provide the weight, dimensions, both ZIPs and service used, someone here will cheerfully help you figure it out.

many of the others seem to be a sudden discrepancy of 2 ounces between my scale and theirs

That of couse sounds like you need a new scale, assuming you can't recalibrate your current scale.

Message 2 of 39
latest reply

@partsalot1 wrote:
 ... some of the upcharges claimed  has to do with package size but when i go back and print the same lable using the size the post office claims the cost of the lable doesnt change.  in one case i was charged an extra $36.04.  when i printed the lable originally the lable was $9.46. ...

That would happen  if you were sending a package to Zones 5 - 9 via Priority Mail and if the  package was over 1 cubic foot (1728 cubic inches).  What were the dimensions of your packages that got such a big upcharge? Are you sure that you didn't accidentally use an Express box?

Message 3 of 39
latest reply

I'm a mail carrier. For the most part Postage Due for such a high amount is usually for packages that excede the max on the Regional Rate boxes and Cubic Foot postage.

Cubic foot max are .50 cu/ft and a max of 20#

RR'A' max is 15# and RR'B' maxes out at 20#

I had a package from Ca. with .10 cu/ft postage. The package was larger than .50 cu/ft and weighed 36#

Tuesday I had a MFRB with  8oz FCP label.

So be accurate in printing your pastage.

As for your 2 ounces, get a calibration set. I check my scale every day I use it just to be sure. You can get them here on eBay for not all that much.

This is like the set I have:  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-pcs-calibration-weight-set-10g-20g-50g-100g-200g-500g-1000g-total-weight/...

Message 4 of 39
latest reply

[[I had a package from Ca. with .10 cu/ft postage. The package was larger than .50 cu/ft and weighed 36#

Tuesday I had a MFRB with  8oz FCP label.]]

That sounds like one of this guy's packages 😞

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping-Returns/Dimensions-Required-on-USPS-Bulk-Shipping/m-p/2872543...

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 5 of 39
latest reply

@partsalot1 wrote:

after shipping an average of over 30 packages a day with usps i am now getting hit with up charges in huge numbers.  one odd thing is some of the upcharges claimed  has to do with package size but when i go back and print the same lable using the size the post office claims the cost of the lable doesnt change.  in one case i was charged an extra $36.04.  when i printed the lable originally the lable was $9.46.  when i tried printing the same lable with the post office dimensions the price was still $9.46.   so what is happening there?  3 different lables that happened. 

WIth shipping 30 packages a day, I'm going to assume that you know about dimensional weights and that you are correctly measuring dimensions and using correct labeling.

The automated package verification system does make mistakes.

I ship a lot through USPS and haven't encountered the same problem to the degree that you are suggesting.  But, USPS has incorrectly charged me for improper labels.  They were wrong, and I have successfully appealed the automated decisions, and I've gotten refunded ... I think that the system also takes a photograph of packages that are geting flagged.   So, if you are not familiar with the appeal process, it doesn't cost you anything but time to make an appeal ...

Message 6 of 39
latest reply

it wasnt a box at all.  it was a shippng bag.  but i put in the dimensions that ebay claimed and the price for the lable didnt change.  so why was it different at the usps?

does it have anything to do with the bulk shipping discount agreement with ebay and it might not have been used at the usps?

Message 7 of 39
latest reply

@lja440 wrote:

I'm a mail carrier. For the most part Postage Due for such a high amount is usually for packages that excede the max on the Regional Rate boxes and Cubic Foot postage.

Cubic foot max are .50 cu/ft and a max of 20#

RR'A' max is 15# and RR'B' maxes out at 20#

I had a package from Ca. with .10 cu/ft postage. The package was larger than .50 cu/ft and weighed 36#

Tuesday I had a MFRB with  8oz FCP label.

So be accurate in printing your pastage.

As for your 2 ounces, get a calibration set. I check my scale every day I use it just to be sure. You can get them here on eBay for not all that much.

This is like the set I have:  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-pcs-calibration-weight-set-10g-20g-50g-100g-200g-500g-1000g-total-weight/...

yes i understand the dimensional weight.  it plays a much bigger role in fed ex than it does in usps from what i see (at least it used to).  ONE THING IM TRYING TO GET ACROSS is wether i put in the original dimensions i used  or the usps claimed dimensions,  on MY END , the label price was the same.  So why is there a difference when they check it at the usps facility?  for years i have been a little lax in measurments, not because i was trying to cheat, but because when i changed them on priority mail packages  or parcel select it didnt seem to matter at all unless the size was very large.   even using priority mail large package or priority mail small package didnt seem to matter.

now all of a sudden i'm am getting hit with discrepencies left and right.  was just notified of a few more. 

Message 8 of 39
latest reply

ONE THING IM TRYING TO GET ACROSS is wether i put in the original dimensions i used  or the usps claimed dimensions,  on MY END , the label price was the same.

If you provide an actual example, including weight, dimensions, ZIPs and service, there are people here just dying to figure this out for you.  Your initial example looked like it might have been a Parcel select package that you failed to use the Oversize option.

If nothing else, you should at least take one of these examples to the usps.com shipping calculator and find out what the correct postage is.  Any chance eBay is inserting an incorrect ZIP for you?

Message 9 of 39
latest reply

@partsalot1 wrote:

it wasnt a box at all.  it was a shippng bag.  but i put in the dimensions that ebay claimed and the price for the lable didnt change.  so why was it different at the usps?

does it have anything to do with the bulk shipping discount agreement with ebay and it might not have been used at the usps?

Well how  big was this bag???   Don't think eBay recommends package sizes but they do provide boxes to enter the  l w  h.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 10 of 39
latest reply

when i changed them on priority mail packages  or parcel select it didnt seem to matter at all unless the size was very large

If the length + girth is over 84", you pay for 20 lbs even if the package weighs much less.  If it's over 108" it's even more.

If Priority Mail matters dimensions add up to more than a cubic foot to zones 5-9, you also pay a higher rate, but it's based on the actual cubic inches.

So, you could continue to be lax about boxes under a cubic foot, but should be measuring those that go over.

Message 11 of 39
latest reply

I was just notified by PayPal that I owed money on a recent USPS shipment. I used a priority mail box and the packge weighed 4 pounds. The label cost $8.69 going from 29651 to 43230. Now, they say I owe another $8.96. For what?!

Message 12 of 39
latest reply

Apparently you used a Large flat rate box.

Message 13 of 39
latest reply

Yes, I did use that box. But that would have been $18.90. They want to charge me $17.65. I have been using these boxes for a long time and have never had a problem before. In fact, I sent one to GA the same day. This is the only one that seems to have an issue.

Message 14 of 39
latest reply

@curlys_house wrote:

Yes, I did use that box. But that would have been $18.90. They want to charge me $17.65. I have been using these boxes for a long time and have never had a problem before. In fact, I sent one to GA the same day. This is the only one that seems to have an issue.

$17.65 is the online charge for LFR.

Good system now catching short paids such as yours, but also making incorrect charges of some other shipments.

Message 15 of 39
latest reply