cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay promoting seller honesty while charging sellers for buyer fraud

I spent some time with a pleasant CSR today, who politely defended the ebay "system" that decided against my report of buyer abusing the return policy in the buyer's favor.  I requested politely I wanted to ensure that some human intelligence and discernment had read my correspondence with the buyer and my presentation of information to assess the cogency of my argument contradicting  the claim of item defect from the buyer. 

To her question of what I was looking for ebay to do I replied that I wanted a fair treatment in not being required to pay two shipping charges for an item returned to me in perfect working condition claimed by the buyer to be defective.  I was willing to make refund of item cost, since the "defective" item had been returned to me in perfect operating condition, and I have it relisted for sale with no changes to the description. She took a couple of minutes in which she claimed to have read some of the messaging, and apologized for not being able to change the previous decision.  When I asked if she could tell if the decision in favor of the buyer had been made with intelligence and discernment by a human review, she replied that it had actually been "made by the system." 

The buyer had claimed that a cassette deck he'd bought from me broke two of his cassette tapes in rewind.  (What is the age of any cassette tapes you have in your home or buy at thrift shops?) The ironic thing that refutes his assessment of fault of the machine is that he returned in the cassette deck a name brand unbroken tape that will not break with multiple rewinds, and no other tape I have inserted will break.  Why should I pay refund for not only the item he returned, but for shipping cost both ways, all because of the buyer's poor assessment ability and ebay's bots and idiots forming policy that accepts a buyer's report of an item defect with no intelligent assessment of the validity of the claim?  

I was courteous through the conversation, as was the unfortunate CSR.  I told her I was sorry she had to spend her day defending indefensible decisions and policies, and I wished her a good day.  It's pretty bad when ebay employees have to own up to the fact that ebay decisions are made (all day long, every day) in the absence of intelligence and discernment.  ebay is providing an environment of complicity in fraud.  The most absurd part of it is that ebay promotes honesty  on the part of sellers while charging sellers for the promotion of buyer fraud. 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Oh well, your buyer lied.  Not exactly an anomaly around here.   eBay's response par for the course.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I understand your concern, but eBay has no way of telling whether the player wrecks tapes or not.  Nor does PayPal, nor does the buyer's credit card.  

Accepting that reality, all three of them give the benefit of the doubt to the buyer, and will make him "whole" by refunding his full payment and requiring the seller to pay for return shipping if he wants it back. 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

In their provision for appeal of a decision, ebay states that evidence of buyer fraud can be shared to support the seller's case. I offered to the CSR rep to share with ebay video evidence of the tape deck not breaking the undamaged tape the buyer sent in the deck, as well as its successfully rewinding and not breaking other tapes.  But, she said ebay has no way to receive such video proof. So, my only conclusion is that ebay wants to receive repeat business from any buyer, even those who refuse to be adult in accepting financial responsibility for their product assessment mistakes.  I certainly don't welcome more of the same abuse, but ebay seems determined to keep any kind of repeat business they deem tolerable.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply