cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay shipping policy in regard to excessive, overpriced, or inflated shipping and handling charges

I searched for an answer regarding this issue, and with rare exception, I came across numerous threads in which sellers do nothing but defend the right of sellers to charge whatever they want shipping and handling and place the blame on the buyer for simply not purchasing an item if they think the S&H cost is too high. However, the official eBay Shipping Policy states:

"Only include shipping charges that are actually incurred and are related to the cost of shipping and handling the items being delivered

• Actual cost paid to the shipping service
  • Handling costs, including the cost of packaging materials and insurance
  • The actual cost of delivery confirmation or extra services, such as certificate of mailing, certified mail, collect delivery, delivery confirmation, registered mail, restricted delivery, return receipt, signature confirmation, special handling, or similar services"

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behavior-policies/shipping-policy?id=5035&st=12&pos=6&quer...

As both a buyer and a seller on eBay, I believe it is the responsibility of the seller to charge a reasonable S&H cost (as I do with all of my listings), and I therefore believe it would be unfair to the buyer to charge an unreasonable S&H cost (even if the buyer could pass up purchasing an item, as supported by eBay's own Shipping Policy). Also, I just finished chatting with an eBay representative, and she confirmed that overcharging for S&H is not okay with eBay and that a case can be opened against a seller if the buyer believes the S&H charge to be unreasonable, which will be investigated by eBay, with the potential for a partial refund to the buyer.

So while it is true that I wanted an item badly enough to pay an unreasonable S&H charge to obtain it since it was the only one I could find anywhere, I will be opening a case against the seller once I receive the item (as I was advised by the eBay representative to do) because it's not cool to be charged about 3 times as much it costs for the S&H for such an item, which I know from experience in both selling and buying items of the same kind, weight, and value.

Hopefully this post will bring light to an issue that has been repeatedly clouded by certain sellers who have always made excuses for other sellers on the eBay Discussion boards over the years. And for sellers or other individuals of a similar mind, you can hate all you want, but I'm here to share truth, not be popular.
Message 1 of 39
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

eBay shipping policy in regard to excessive, overpriced, or inflated shipping and handling charges

@myangelandmyprincess wrote:

"Most sellers do this as a way to save on eBay fees - sure, you're only paying $10 for a $100 item but the seller tacked on $100 shipping so eBay only treats it as a $10 purchase for what they charge AND for what taxes they report.

Now if a seller charges you $20 for overnight shipping and then sends it by $2 3rd class parcel post and you don't get it for two weeks then you can contact customer service to get the difference refunded as well as leave negative feedback letting others know the seller is scamming folks on shipping"

The only thing correct in this post is that negative feedback can be left    

If a $10 item has $100 shipping eBay charges fees on $110.  It's been this way for years    many states charge tax on the shipping as well.   And eBay does not issue partial refunds for shipping overages. They don't issue partial refunds at all.  A seller can give one but eBay can't force a seller too. 

And personally I wouldn't leave a negative even though it can be done a negative complaining about shipping costs looks worse on the buyer than it does the seller. 

I will reply to myangelandmyprincess for my final reply since what they said is altogether the most accurate, though what onlinecentral said ended up being quite relevant as well.

For everyone who said that a case cannot be opened against a seller due to overpriced shipping and handling since there is no such option to do that, you all were wrong: I spoke to an eBay representative using the chat box (which could have been done over the phone if desired), and they told me that being overcharged on shipping actually falls under "Item Not as Described" if it indeed is discovered that the seller misrepresented their S&H cost in violation of eBay's Shipping Policy (consistent with what myangelandmyprincess said).

But that is not what I discovered upon receiving the package in this case, after having waited for over 3 weeks to receive it. The reason that the seller's shipping cost was so high is because the seller unwisely chose to use an oversized (unnecessarily large) shipping box through USPS Retail Ground (formerly Parcel Post). This caused the USPS shipping fee to be 3 times as much as it would have cost to ship the same item using a free Priority Mail box, which is not a heavy or large item and thus would have weighed about half as much in a smaller Priority Mail box, though still large enough to have plenty of space for newspaper packaging (akin to what onlinecentral said in regard to amateurish shipping, as occurred in this case, versus fraudulent shipping, as I originally had suspected).

However, if the seller indeed had overcharged me for shipping and handling as I originally thought, then eBay eventually would have stepped in and made a decision in my favor for a partial refund from the seller, for which I had plenty of documentation under the assumption that a non-oversized box had been used.

And thus, in this particular case, it ultimately arrives back at what myangelandmyprincess said in regard to the issue of feedback: Negative feedback still can be left, or neutral or positive feedback, which is at the buyer's discretion...end of story. To be clear one last time though, eBay's Shipping Policy can be enforced if the buyer is able to show that they were grossly overcharged for shipping and handling, and according to the eBay representative, this falls under returning an item (seeking a partial refund) due to the item not being as described (with the S&H charge counting as part of the description of the sale of the item).

View Best Answer in original post

Message 37 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

CSR was exercising the option to blow smoke up....................

They will investigate, and ..............................  do nothing.

Message 2 of 39
latest reply

I imagine that most sellers are aware of that rule but there is no way for ebay to enforce it . IF the seller used ebay shipping they would know the postage cost but they wouldn't  know what the seller's costs were for packaging. Which type of case did they tell you to open? The only options are item not received and a return case.  If you open the latter you would have to return the item to a refund unless the seller was willing to give you a partial refund.   

Although I agree that a seller shouldn't gouge buyers for shipping, the reality is that they could charge less for shipping and add the extra cost on to the item price. Either way the buyer would be paying the same price.  Plus, I think that many buyers have a totally unrealistic idea of what it costs to ship these days so in many cases the costs are similar to what they are being charged even though the buyer might not agree.

Message 3 of 39
latest reply

1. You're not forced to buy something if you do not like the price or cost.

2. Neither you or eBay know what that seller actual shipping cost are: label + packing material + handling cost + time. They can be very different from yours. In the end its the sellers item and business.

3. I'm sure eBay will do nothing about it, buyers are already abusing/scamming sellers with the return program.

Message 4 of 39
latest reply

@comicdiablo wrote

So while it is true that I wanted an item badly enough to pay an unreasonable S&H charge to obtain it since it was the only one I could find anywhere, I will be opening a case against the seller once I receive the item

AFAIK there are only two causes for opening a case, Item Not Received and Item Not As Described. I don't see either of those fitting here. Just what are you hoping to accomplish?

ALWAYS be honest and exceedingly FAIR!

The Volunteer eBay Community Mentor formerly known as juanmogamer
Message 5 of 39
latest reply

Wow...

I'm shocked by the things you said and admit to. 

I don't know what you bought... but you agreed to the price including the shipping cost, and you should be ashamed of the rant you wrote!  Your shipping costs must be relatively the same on most all the comic books you sell... so I understand that you're wearing "shipping cost blinders",  and I'd like to take all that into consideration... but I also sense a mean streak in the retaliation you'd like to aim at the seller.

You're a long-time member and I'm sure you've seen and heard "everything" by now, including the nightmare scenarios most sellers have to endure to appease buyers these days... how unfairly sellers are being treated by lesser members than you who may not know what's right and wrong... but you should know the difference. 

So, even if your seller DID overcharge for shipping, you say the item is the ONLY one like it you could find.  (That's worth something!)  So you bought the item, paid the shipping as it was, and are still gripping... maybe looking for others to side with you?  I can't.  If you don't like the price, including shipping costs, don't buy.  It's that simple.  You are being unreasonably mean-spirited by planning to negatively affect this seller.   Even if you won't be able to, we've all seen inside you now, and no, you're not going to be popular!

Wow...

Message 6 of 39
latest reply

If you open a case your only choices being item not received which you lose if you receive the item or not as described with which you will be asked to return the item.  There is nothing that will get you a partial refund for shipping costs.  

I know you say you have shipped like items but I've had a buyer tell me that on a pair of jeans and insist that she ships them all day for under $5.  Being they were almost two pounds and wouldn't fit in a padded envelope I tried desperately...I couldn't ship them to her for less than $10.   So what is the weight size of the item. What kind of packing material does it require?  How far is it shipping?

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 7 of 39
latest reply

My customers have no input into how much I charge for shipping.    It's none of their business whatsoever 

whether I turn a profit or take a loss on shipping.

If an item is purchased and the buyer realizes that the seller actually took a loss on the shipping is that buyer going 

to complain?     I don't see buyers lining up to hand over more money when a seller makes a mistake that's actually in the buyers favor.  

It's for the seller to decide whether his or her time is worth 40 cents an hour or $40.00 per hour.   Not the buyer.

The buyer decides,   Cost of item + shipping = a good deal,   Or a fair deal,  Or a bad deal.

Message 8 of 39
latest reply

1.  ebay basically stopped caring about excessive shipping and handling when they began charging a FVF on the shipping charges.

2. You can  hit the buyer on their detailed seller ratings if you feel you have been overcharged.

3. You are charging $15 to ship two comics to my location.  What is to stop me from thinking that you are charging excessive shipping and handling?

4.  You will be a much happier buyer and seller if you purchase an item that you like with shipping you agree with rather than try to "report" or "return" or file whatever case  you can drum up to take action against the seller.  And if you are buying items similar to what you sell, you are not making yourself look good by acting against the seller for perceived misdeeds.

Message 9 of 39
latest reply

I agree with you.  But in this case it's like the pot calling the kettle black.  

Message 10 of 39
latest reply

"Handling" costs, along with materials and insurance- per the 'policy' you stated, can still be anything a seller wants it to be.

Buyers see the cost to ship when they decide to purchase. If I decide I want $20 for that, that's what I want. I don't want to touch it, wrap it, pack it, print it for less- that's MY CHOICE!

You think we should have someone else at ebay decide how much I can charge??

And your opening a case? How ridiculous! the only case you can open is to 'return' it, so what's the point?

Message 11 of 39
latest reply

@golfingaddict wrote:

3. You are charging $15 to ship two comics to my location.  What is to stop me from thinking that you are charging excessive shipping and handling?

Perhaps you only know about golfing and thus are unaware, but I sell and buy comic books. A graded comic book (assigned a certain condition by a grading company, like CGC) is encased in a thick plastic protective slab, and together with a second ungraded comic, weighs slightly less than 2 lbs. when carefully packaged with bubble wrap and packaging peanuts in a priority mail box. Priority mail can be more or less expensive depending on the distance of the recipient's location, and it does cost money to buy bubble wrap and packaging peanuts. So $15 to ship the two comics to which you are referring to your location was quite reasonable in price. I don't make profit off of shipping and handling costs, unlike some sellers on eBay.

Message 12 of 39
latest reply

@tracy_and_aja wrote:

I agree with you.  But in this case it's like the pot calling the kettle black.  

No, it's not like the pot calling the kettle black. Your saying makes no sense in relation to the issue at hand.

Message 13 of 39
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I imagine that most sellers are aware of that rule but there is no way for ebay to enforce it . IF the seller used ebay shipping they would know the postage cost but they wouldn't  know what the seller's costs were for packaging. Which type of case did they tell you to open? The only options are item not received and a return case.  If you open the latter you would have to return the item to a refund unless the seller was willing to give you a partial refund.   

Although I agree that a seller shouldn't gouge buyers for shipping, the reality is that they could charge less for shipping and add the extra cost on to the item price. Either way the buyer would be paying the same price.  Plus, I think that many buyers have a totally unrealistic idea of what it costs to ship these days so in many cases the costs are similar to what they are being charged even though the buyer might not agree.

Thanks for acknowledging that it is an eBay rule, and that sellers should not gouge buyers on shipping and handling, though you believe there's no way to enforce it. You may be right. That's not what I was told, but when I open a case, nothing may come of it. Whatever happens, I will report it here. I agree that usually only two kinds of cases can be opened, but what you and others are not realizing is that there is a third option, to where the eBayer can directly contact eBay about a case that doesn't fit in one of the two usual categories.  And you are correct that a seller could just hike up the price of an item instead of charge an outrageous amount for S&H, but at least then it would be a more honest listing, not one that included an obviously excessive S&H charge. I'm not talking about some borderline case here; I'm talking about a person charging about 3 times the amount for S&H that it would cost me to ship the same item through a faster shipping service (priority instead of parcel post).

Message 14 of 39
latest reply

@digita_47 wrote:

1. You're not forced to buy something if you do not like the price or cost.

2. Neither you or eBay know what that seller actual shipping cost are: label + packing material + handling cost + time. They can be very different from yours. In the end its the sellers item and business.

3. I'm sure eBay will do nothing about it, buyers are already abusing/scamming sellers with the return program.

1. I never said I was forced to buy anything, but I was forced to pay an excessive S&H charge if I wanted to buy the item.

2. While it is true that it cannot be known exactly how much it costs a seller, there is a point in which a S&H is utterly ridiculous. I buy and sell comics. I know about how much it costs to ship different kinds of comics (graded and ungraded) to different places. There is a standard that's been established across many sellers. When a seller is charging about 3 times as much as what is typical for S&H of a certain item, your "impossibility of exactness" argument regarding S&H does not stand nor apply.

3. Yes, I am aware of buyers scamming sellers with the return program and have had it happen to me. However, I can both know that is happening and know that some sellers are charging outrageous S&H costs at the same time, which goes against eBay's Shipping Policy. And I can try to do something about it. Perhaps nothing will come of it but wasting my time. I will see what happens.

Message 15 of 39
latest reply