cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong item returned

I sold a Roland KD-7 bass drum kicker as is. Guy says it doesn’t work. I found it at a friends garage he claimed it worked. Buyer wants a full refund due to Not working. Ok no problem I paid postage back to me. Well he sent me a different piece back. Pics are different on my listing. How can I refuse to refund him? How do I contact eBay now?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Wrong item returned

The ol' switcharoo, oldest move in the game.

Ebay traditionally expects you to refund the buyer. However, ebay's level of help in this issue will depend on the dollar amount of the transaction and your track record/level as a seller. Some here may argue that ebay will be helpless for everyone... but I've gotten ebay step in and compensate me for this issue many times. Granted that my items are usually no more than $50.

Other methods that people will come here and chime in on may help, but ultimately won't get you back the full dollar value of the transaction.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Wrong item returned

@dlareg3226 

Hi, 

Contact eBay, preferably by phone (request a callback) and inform them about what happened.

A few years ago a buyer lied about an item I sold to him. He opened a return request with the reason being "item not as described", which forced me a to accept the return. He sent back the item I sold him but he had broken it so that I could only hope to sell it for a fraction of what it was worth.

I contacted eBay and told the customer service agent that the buyer sent me back my item in a condition other than I sent it in. They decided to pay me back the total of what the buyer paid for the item while also allowing him to keep his refund.  The eBay agent informed me that they don't do this very often, though.

Good luck!

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Wrong item returned

@anthonydelillo wrote:

@dlareg3226 

Hi, 

Contact eBay, preferably by phone (request a callback) and inform them about what happened.

A few years ago a buyer lied about an item I sold to him. He opened a return request with the reason being "item not as described", which forced me a to accept the return. He sent back the item I sold him but he had broken it so that I could only hope to sell it for a fraction of what it was worth.

I contacted eBay and told the customer service agent that the buyer sent me back my item in a condition other than I sent it in. They decided to pay me back the total of what the buyer paid for the item while also allowing him to keep his refund.  The eBay agent informed me that they don't do this very often, though.

Good luck!

Good luck with that. I had a buyer return the wrong item by mistake about a month and a half ago. He acknowledged his mistake and said his wife must have mixed up the shipping labels. I contacted eBay and was assured that the automatic refund was cancelled. Nonetheless, the buyer got an automatic refund. After a month and 9 phone calls, I finally realized I was just getting the runaround. Every time I called, it was either "I can't find any record of you calling about this," to which I would respond with exact dates and times. Then they would "dig" for a few minutes and suddenly find the the call records. Or, they would just say "I don't see any decision on the case, I can file it again for you." At one point they said something about getting a police report, but the next person I spoke to said that wasn't necessary because the buyer said it was a mistake, and it was eBay who actually mistakenly issued the refund. Prior to this Covid thing, if I had a buyer acknowledge returning the wrong item by mistake, eBay either closed the case in my favor with no refund to the buyer, or they closed in my favor and gave the buyer a courtesy refund. I've had it happen at least 5 times that way in the past 2 years. When the buyers don't acknowledge it, or just don't respond, you're just going to take a loss. In my personal opinion, automatic refunds are the worst of all eBay's recent changes. I had no problems adapting to MP, but automatic refunds are the best thing that ever happened for fraudsters.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply