cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worst Abuse of USPS Supplies I've Seen in 25 Years - Posted in YouTube Video

Anonymous
Not applicable

This has to be the worst abuse of USPS supplies I've seen in 25 nearly years of shipping.

In this video the merchandise is placed inside a flat rate bubble mailer which is placed inside a flat rate envelope which is placed inside a Tyvek envelope which is placed inside another flat rate envelope.

Perp warned to take video down as it documents violations of USPS regulations which are subject to prosecution and fines and perp's response was: "All I see is "for use with priority mail only" and it is so I'm OK with it."

Ebay how to package 100 Pucks of Soap. Lavex & Novo. in Flat Rate Envelope - YouTube

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Some posters have reported that USPS staff said it's OK to use Priority inside Priority.  

As he said, at least he shipped via Priority.  Last summer I bought a set of plates which was shipped via Ground Advantage, but each plate was carefully packed inside a Priority flat rate padded envelope.

Here's the worst case I've seen of Priority box abuse:

desk-made-of-free-usps-boxes-easy-to-move.jpeg

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

You are not allowed to use FLAT RATE Priority Mail supplies as packaging materials.

This includes using them inside other Priority Mail envelopes or boxes or plain boxes or envelopes.

Its called THEFT that is subject to prosecution and fines.

Actually much worse since this represents a ongoing and unending misuse (theft) of supplies.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Around the holidays when I have the occasion to be in line at a couple of different post offices, I often see the clerks take a customer's Priority Flat Rate Padded envelope and either do it themselves or recommend it be put it in inside a Priority box, or put a Tyvek Priority envelope inside a Padded one or box.  When I ask about it, was told as long as it going Priority it's ok.  Not like they are using 10 empty padded envelope's for packing or anything.  So while maybe not right, you can't blame the customers who see this being done or have it recommended to them and do it themselves.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

The USPS rules say nothing about using them as packing.  They are not even sure of the law as it says misuse " may " be a violation of federal law.

They do say this however.

Priority Mail® service, or Global Express Guaranteed®) and must be closed using the adhesive provided.

So, stick those puppies shut.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Since you're brought it up, my experience with "the adhesive provided" is that it can sometimes fail. I've seen boxes pop open after just sitting in my office overnight. So sure, you can use the provided strip to seal the box/envelope just to demonstrate that you haven't reshaped it, BUT then add tape!

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@simba6 wrote:

Priority Mail® service, or Global Express Guaranteed®) and must be closed using the adhesive provided.

So, stick those puppies shut.

Yes, but they can be reinforced with tape.

https://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2016/pb22435/html/updt_002.htm

Q. Is tape allowed?

A. Yes, tape is allowed on the seams and flaps of an FRE or FRB. Tape is allowed to reinforce the flaps of an FRE within its normal folds and of course to properly close a FRB.

Q. How much tape is acceptable?

A. Tape is permissible as reinforcement on the seams and flaps of a FRE or FRB to make sure the container does not break open during processing and transit. However, tape should not “encase” the FRE or FRB. Note that if a customer is using a printed Click-N-Ship® label or PC Postage Vendor label, extra tape is allowed to properly attach it to the envelope or box.

Q. What about bulges?

A. As long as the FRE or FRB can close “within the normal folds,” bulges are not a problem. “Flat” refers to the price, not to the shape.

Q. What if the FRE is too thick?

A. There is currently no maximum thickness for a FRE. “Flat” refers to the price, not to the shape.

Q. What if the FRE is stuffed so full that it’s shaped like a cylinder?

A. As long as the FRE can close within its normal folds, and as long as the sides of the FRE haven’t been reconstructed, for example by being slit and having a gusset inserted, it is fine. “Flat” refers to the price, not to the shape.

Q. What if a skillet is packed in an FRB and the handle sticks out?

A. A small bump-out of the box is okay, but if the handle actually sticks out of the box or the box is reconfigured to accommodate the skillet, it cannot be considered as a FRB.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Actually the DMM recommends adding tape as needed.  Plus you can reshaped a Padded or Tyvek envelope or regular PM box, just not a Flat Rate box.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Those employees should be FIRED!

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

You can use "used" items that people throw away....good packing stuff. Garbage cans are full of them in my neighborhood. And then we have all these Amazon boxes that people throw away. I try to recycle everything I can or find.

As for using tape....I always use tape on anything priority and never a clerk gave me a problem. And I mail my items in person at the USPS. So, I don't know who started this you can't use the tape thing.

And I don't think the post office cares what you use...Sounds more like "loss sales" where eBay sells this stuff.

For registered mail on an envelope or package ....you are technically not allowed to use tape...the clerks have to use their stamping on the closed openings and tape will erase the marks.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote: ...  I don't know who started this you can't use the tape thing.....

USPS did.  Many years ago, they strictly prohibited ANY tape on flat rate envelopes, who knows why it was such a big deal. But in my early days of selling, I became an expert at using a strip of tape INSIDE the envelope flap. As the posts above explain,  USPS has since reversed this no-tape policy.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Yep, double-stick tape or glue, or taping on the label and the tape for the label just happens to also go over part of the flap. 😂

I don't miss those days.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@rfmtm wrote:

Around the holidays when I have the occasion to be in line at a couple of different post offices, I often see the clerks take a customer's Priority Flat Rate Padded envelope and either do it themselves or recommend it be put it in inside a Priority box, or put a Tyvek Priority envelope inside a Padded one or box.  When I ask about it, was told as long as it going Priority it's ok.

This is exactly what I have seen and been told as well. Priority Mail packaging is ONLY allowed to be used for Priority Mail, but as long as it's being used for Priority Mail, it's fine as that is its intended use.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply