cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why only flat rate?

Why does eBay force sellers to use only flat rate for items over one pound?  For local shipment the price is almost 50% higher than standard Priority Boxes or choose you own.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER
7 REPLIES 7

Why only flat rate?

Ebay never forced me in to flat rate shipping.   You are doing something wrong but I'm not sure what.   It may be how you have your business policies set up.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Why only flat rate?

@blobbeer wrote:

Why does eBay force sellers to use only flat rate for items over one pound?  For local shipment the price is almost 50% higher than standard Priority Boxes or choose you own.

When at the label printing page click on "compare all"  to see more choices.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Why only flat rate?

When posting the ad, use the drop down for shipping services. You can show more then one service in each ad, you are not locked into just one. Smart shoppers will open the shipping windows and if there is more then one choice, can pick the one they want. Just don't down grade the service the buyer picks.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Why only flat rate?

I agree with the other replies regarding what to do about it after the fact.  

By chance, does this only happen when shipments are being combined?

Many of the items I sell are under a pound, so the buyer selects first class and they are fine.  I do offer combined shipping and that seems to be where I see the problem you describe as often even two items are slightly more than can go first class.  Apparently when the buyer checks out, eBay still let's the buyer select first class.  I'm not sure how eBay figures how much to charge them for shipping, but it seems to be enough for a 1-2 lb priority mail package if memory serves me right.  Of course when I go to ship, eBay is smarter and knows I can't ship first class and it seems to default to the Priority flat rate envelope (likely because it is the cheapest Priority Mail option).   If I can use the flat rate envelope, I do, but usually I can't for my items, so I just select an appropriate Priority Mail package.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Why only flat rate?

Ebay dies not require that you use a flat rate.Many of your listings are set up with a flat rate of $10 with usps Priority but it would probably be best to use calculated shipping unless you actually are using a flat rate box.  Then the price the buyer pays will also be based on their location. You can change  from fiat to calculated shipping on the sell your item form at the top of the shipping details section.  

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Why only flat rate?

I should have said the option when using the methods offered by eBay.  I do not remember any options other than Flat Rate boxes being offered.  Standard Priority is what I use on a regular basis.  Thanks for the reply.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply