cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is eBay favoring buyers?

I have been an eBay member for nearly 20 years. I have a 100% rating and a spotless record. Recently, I listed a new watch bracelet link for sale. The listing specified the type of watch the link is for, and even featured a photograph of the watch and bracelet the link will fit. The listing also specified no returns will be accepted. Someone purchased the link clearly disregarding all the relevant information in the listing. When he/she tried to install the link it was determined it did not fit. The buyer started a return through eBay falsely claiming that the item was not as described. This is patently false. The item was exactly as described. It was the buyer who failed to properly read the listing (which if you don't mind my saying was basically fool proof). Within hours eBay determined that the item was not as described and mandated that I accept the return. If I don't make arrangements for the return eBay has informed me that they will refund the buyer the money and charge me for the returned money and postage. In addition, the will allow the buyer to keep the item. 

Seriously? I sold a new item that was properly described and now I have to supply a refund and postage for a potentially damaged item simply because the buyer did not use care in reading the listing?

I have notified eBay that my listing was accurate and that the item was exactly as described but I have heard nothing. How could eBay conclude I was in the wrong when that is clearly not the case.

I have refused to issue the return on principal. I am not as upset with the buyer as I am with eBay. They really need to step up their protection of sellers who are being wronged/scammed by false claims. If this issue is not resolved fairly, I'm done with eBay!

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

@itznu4u wrote:

I have notified eBay that my listing was accurate and that the item was exactly as described but I have heard nothing. How could eBay conclude I was in the wrong when that is clearly not the case.

How can eBay conclude that the seller is not telling the truth?  They cannot.  It is simply your word against the buyer's word, and the buyer gets the benefit of the doubt.

@itznu4u wrote:

I have refused to issue the return on principal. I am not as upset with the buyer as I am with eBay. They really need to step up their protection of sellers who are being wronged/scammed by false claims. If this issue is not resolved fairly, I'm done with eBay!

Selling on eBay has a learning curve.  Part of that learning curve is dealing with customer service and returns in a manner consistent with eBay's standards.  To point, eBay's posture is a liberal return policy, so that we sellers are expected to accept returns if the customer claims any problem ... if you want to sell on eBay, then learning how to navigate this liberal return posture is critical.

You can refuse the refund and return, but then (a) eBay will extract money from your account and refund the buyer, (b) the buyer will get to keep the item, (c) you will be charged eBay and PayPal fees for the transaction, and (d) you will get a seller defect.   In other words, you are stabbing yourself in the eye because you are mad at the buyer and eBay.

The proper approach is

1. Accept the return and wait for it to arrive.
  2. If you want to contest the return ...
    • You can then contact eBay and claim the buyer is circumventing your return policy by falsely claiming the item is Not as Described.  Do not be surprised if the customer service rep will sympathize and agree with you and perhaps even falsely promise you that everything will be OK ... I only say this because of the next bullet.
    • eBay's computers or a low-level customer service representative (following a prescribed process) will most certainly rule in the buyer's favor, and force refund the buyer.
    • You can then appeal the decision and speak with someone who might be more reasonable, and then you will have a chance to argue properly your side of the story ... whether you prevail or not will be dependent on who you speak with.  They might compromise with you and remove the defect or you might be fortunate to get a "courtesy refund".   (If they offer you a coupon, kindly tell them no because you won't see it).
  3. If you do not want to risk further losses, you can then simply refund the buyer and report the buyer for abusing the Money Back Guarantee program in order to circumvent your return policies.
Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Respectfully, your response is a total cave-in. It basically tells honest sellers who have been unfairly accused that they must eat the bad news. All one has to do is look at the original listing to realize that everything possible was done to ensure that the item was properly described. I can't help it if someone decides to buy my item without reading the description, which was pretty much idiot proof. If, as you suggest, eBay is simply going to take the buyer's word that the item was not as described despite the fact that ALL of my feedback shows I am an honest seller with a spotless record, then I will leave eBay and do business elsewhere. I have already pulled all my listings and I am waiting to see how they "resolve" this issue. If they go against me in spite of the overwhelming evidence which is on my side, then so-long!

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

GOOD FOR YOU.  EBAY HAS ALSO HAD PEOPLE LISTED ON YOUR STORE THAT YOU PAY FOR SAYING"NEW AND UNFURBISHED"  uSULALLY 1/2 PRICE FROM WHAT YOU ARE SELLING.  IF YOU ARE AN AMERICAN STORE OR JUST A REGULAR SELLER THESE PEOPLE ARE TRESPASSING ON YOUR ACCOUNT.  I have been threatened by these moderators before.  If it is Makeup you can not sell refurbished.  Also it is my store and why are these people selling me down 1/2 price. That's easy.  Not from America.  Why, ebay says they want the buyers to have all the best opportunity they can.  Guess they forgot about sars an bird flue and lead in our childrens toys.  I will probably be banned again.  Can't we as sellers say we will not stand for this and stick together.  If your product is worth $40 Dont try to under sell each other.  Stick together.  Probably never hear from you again.  I'll be banned for insighting whatever.  No freedom of speech here.  Presently I am still trying to clear up loads of bad info on my stock and can't get out of my way.  I would love to know what you and others have to say about paying return shipping and now that shipping goes up are you going to charge shipping.

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

from stockgirl12,

since you are done with ebay where are you selling.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

I am totally with you.nYou have no idea what ebay has put me thru the last 2 years and more.

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

@itznu4u wrote:

If, as you suggest, eBay is simply going to take the buyer's word that the item was not as described despite the fact that ALL of my feedback shows I am an honest seller with a spotless record, then I will leave eBay and do business elsewhere.

I also think a track record of honest selling should be given a VERY heavy weight in the decision process of a "he-said-she-said" case.  But, I'm not in charge of the eBay decision tree ... so ... I'm just trying to characterize the state of things.

By the way, on appeal, they may consider your track record and basically give both you and the dishonest buyer your money.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

Just like you, i stipulate anything different with the item plus the shipping details for both USA and international bidders....My description has to have all this information in just like yours does so buyers dont have a leg

to stand on but ebay does not seem to care..... They still side with the buyers.

I mention where it is located, the price of shipping, the way it will be packed, tell buyers not to

send any money until i send the invoice,  tell them not to be afraid to ask a question and so on

and so on... I have been a member since 1999 and i can count on 1 hand how many questions i

have received about auctions.

That shows me they ( the buyers in general ) dont read the descriptions so you are not alone...

I put it down to laziness on  the buyers behalf as they only look at pretty pictures.

I now simply leave it ll in there so if a buyer places a negative or sends back an item which is

different, it was all said in the description that they did not read and i contact ebay with all the

proof i have.

Tracking must be added with the package or ebay will not back the seller in any way.

I do believe as ebay sides with the buyers , that the buyers bid on an item they have

( at home broken ) and swap it over for the new one and return the broken one for a full refund.

I have tried to see it in many other ways but this is the only clear method what i think ebay

bidders want and do.

Dont forget i t z n u 4 u that.....

1. Without the sellers in ebay, then no fees will come in...

2. Then if no fees come in, wages and salaries cannot be paid to ebay staff.

3. If no salaries or wages will be paid, ebay staff will leave to find a better job.

4. Then if there is no staff, the business will simply dive.

5. Then if that happens, the company will go downhill.

6. There will be no money to advertise on televion and so on

It will be like a small snowball being rolled from the top of the mountain and

gradually becoming huger and huger as it is travelling...

I am sure ebay wont want this but i dont think they can see the big picture.

One day this may happen and it will simply be too late.....

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

I will sell elsewhere to be sure. Shopify, Letgo, directly on forums. Anything else has to be better than being presumed guilty without a chance to state your case.  I have given eBay a large cut of my sales. They have rated me 100%, and I have outstanding comments from all buyers. I am in the right on this issue and it has been adjudicated adversely in spite of the evidence to the contrary. This is ridiculous!

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Why should I have to appeal and adverse ruling that is clearly wrong? Do you know how much time that takes? Anyone with sense can see from my listing that the watch bracelet link being sold was clearly identified with words and pictures as ONLY fitting a specific watch.  If it was purchased and the item did not fit it is because the buyer failed to read the very simple listing and look at the pictures. Now the items has been out of my control and can no longer be sold as new. I am being blamed for a buyer's mistake. Nope, this is a matter of principal. 

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

If a sufficient number of sellers refused to take this nonsense and pulled their listings eBay would be forced to hear our side. All I am asking for is an unbiased fair forum where I can tell my side of the story and let the chips fall where they may. Is this too much to ask? This sale was small, but the unfair way eBay goes about siding with buyers without a serious review of the evidence has serious implications. eBay is sponsoring an atmosphere where a buyer can simply use your product for a couple of days, change his/her mind, claim it is not as described in the lsiting, and get their money back through eBay's enforcers despite the fact that the item was in compliance and also clearly stated no returns. What is that???

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

@itznu4u wrote:

Why should I have to appeal and adverse ruling that is clearly wrong? Do you know how much time that takes? Anyone with sense can see from my listing that the watch bracelet link being sold was clearly identified with words and pictures as ONLY fitting a specific watch.  If it was purchased and the item did not fit it is because the buyer failed to read the very simple listing and look at the pictures.

The listing says "Tag Heuer Professional."  Do all of the Professional line of watches have an interchangeable style of link, or do the links only fit specific models?  If it's the latter, then yes, you needed to include in the written description which model the links were for, not just say "See pictures."  Anything critical to the listing needs to be stated in the description and shown in the pictures, not just one or the other.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

Many times a buyer may choose the Not as described choice when a seller has no returns on their listings.  They may do this because they do not want to pay return shipping on something they do not want. They may lie about the product in order to do this.  Yes, that is not right. Totally agree. Should not happen, but it WILL with a NO RETURN listing. 

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

No returns--does not mean no refunds to buyers. Perhaps many sellers still use this option hoping that it will deter some return behaviors, it will not stop all return requests. 

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

I put a picture of the watch/Bracelet the link fits on the listing. Any more help on that issue would have been written in crayon! What else do you want? You have to be a moron not to understand that! Seriously?  Stop trolling.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply